Fave non-christmas films that make you feel Christmassy?

Kay

20 hours ago, Gaslit Jan said:

I'm in be rare group that likes T1 better than T2, however both are masterpieces. Also, the first is more of a horror, which I like.  The ending is the scariest thing ever to me because the stop motion is so uncanny valley, it messes with you everytime.

Oh the first Terminator is damn good too. Obviously it was released in the 80's but man I love all the retro 80's vibe in that movie. Even the car chase scene in that is amazing.

I do think the stop motion part at the end looks a bit dated but it still looks better than the terminators from T3 and onwards. The beginning of T2 when it shows the full endoskeleton looks awesome. Dark Fate gets a lot of hate but the Judgement Day scene at the beginning looks awesome too.

18 hours ago, Ghent said:

I've never seen the Matrix either. Should I watch it?

Definitely the first one! Man I loved that movie when I first saw it. So bad ass. It's very late 90's though. Characters carrying those shit big mobile phones. 2 and 3 I just pretend they don't exist. They've only just finished filming Matrix 4, which should be released at the end of next year, so I'd watch the 2nd and 3rd if you ever plan to watch number 4.

I reckon you should check out Die Hard and the first two Terminators as well. Terminator 2 is a lot more deep IMO so it isn't the most generic action movie. It literally invented the big budget summer action movie though. Die Hard is pretty generic but that's because it was the first movie to do that kinda shit so for it's time it wasn't generic I think. Never seen Top Gun but that's because it doesn't seem like the kind of action movie I'd like.

• Like 3

I still haven't watched Love Actually this year because I always watch it with my best friend, but we can't meet up because of the lockdown so we decided we'll press play at the same time on Netflix and comment on Whatsapp during the film.

I don't know if this is how people do watch parties these days, but if anyone wants to do a watch party for Die Hard, and comment the film either here on the boards or somewhere else, I'm in. 

• Like 1

Die Hard is basically a WW2 movie. John McClane is the western loving american cop who just wants some peace but is stuck with a bunch of German terrorists in a Japanese building. Also I think one of the henchmen actors is Italian...

I watched First Blood last night and it is apparently a Christmas movie, the town even has Christmas lights in it. Strange and depressing film when you really peel it back. 

This is probably my favorite video essay on the subject of sad Christmas movies. 

• Like 1

oh oh oh, this is totally a Christmas movie but I did watch Better Watch Out a few nights ago and man it was a trip. I recommend it as it is also free on some streaming services. I have been on a horror Christmas kick these past few years and this one really struck me. I also recommend Christmas Evil, Krampus, Black Christmas (the 70s one), and of course Gremlins if you are looking for some Holiday scares. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Are you guys talking about that 2015 Krampus movie with Adam Scott?

I watched it back in 2016 and thought it was pretty mediocre/average. 

I didn't really care for it either ... if I wanted a ham fisted Christmas horror I'll watch Gremlins, it's superior. 

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah, its awesomely mediocre and perfect

* as I sip a glass of Dom Pérignon and look down at the peasants of the world, I proudly proclaim "Krampus is simply a mediocre take on the Christmas creature-feature, I prefer the stunning composition of Gremlins." *

It's bizarre how you guys struggle to reconcile differing viewpoints and always seem to take issue with criticism on anything you like, regardless of the merit or reasons of said criticism. Like any form of reasonable criticism that is presented to something you guys like always seems to be met with ridicule and condescending responses, as if it's a personal attack on your beliefs or something. 

I really like the idea of Krampus and the actors Adam Scott and Toni Collette. So I was pretty pumped going into the movie and then was left with a "that's it?" feeling at the end. And it looks like I'm not alone, the movie is sitting at a 6.2/10 rating on IMDB based on over 62,000 reviews. There's nothing wrong with liking the movie, but don't be a little bitch when someone says they didn't find it that great. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

It's bizarre how you guys struggle to reconcile differing viewpoints and always seem to take issue with criticism on anything you like, regardless of the merit or reasons of said criticism. Like any form of reasonable criticism that is presented to something you guys like always seems to be met with ridicule and condescending responses, as if it's a personal attack on your beliefs or something. 

I really like the idea of Krampus and the actors Adam Scott and Toni Collette. So I was pretty pumped going into the movie and then was left with a "that's it?" feeling at the end. And it looks like I'm not alone, the movie is sitting at a 6.2/10 rating on IMDB based on over 62,000 reviews. There's nothing wrong with liking the movie, but don't be a little bitch when someone says they didn't find it that great. 

I'm just poking a bit of fun man. Calm down lol.

They're both movies with goofy monsters that eat people.  I'm allowed to make a joke about treating them like high-brow art.