mark's basses over the years (by hoppus himself)

daveyjones

so back in august 2015, mark started hanging out and commenting on a blink collector's group page on facebook. eventually so many people bothered him with stupid shit that he left. but before then, there were a series of interesting exchanges by those who wanted to talk to mark in a more serious way. one of these threads was about the various basses mark has played over the years.

i managed to screencap some of this. have a look.

this post from mark:

basses.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Q182 @blinkstillrules i suppose this is the thead for this. but i was chatting with mark today and he confirmed that all of dude ranch was tracked on a studio bass at the suggestion of mark trombino, who did not like the sound of his 1985 fender P. so no fender and no black MM on DR.

the bass? mark texted trombino for me and trombino thinks it was a schecter. mark remembers it being made out of bubinga wood. so something like this:

https://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/stiletto-studio-4-detail

THEN mark emailed big fish studios. if they still have the bass, he wants to buy it.

so there you go. all of DR was tracked on a boutique hippy bass.

• Like 1
  • Wow 4

12 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

@Q182 @blinkstillrules i suppose this is the thead for this. but i was chatting with mark today and he confirmed that all of dude ranch was tracked on a studio bass at the suggestion of mark trombino, who did not like the sound of his 1985 fender P. so no fender and no black MM on DR.

the bass? mark texted trombino for me and trombino thinks it was a schecter. mark remembers it being made out of bubinga wood. so something like this:

THEN mark emailed big fish studios. if they still have the bass, he wants to buy it.

Man, that's it ... Mark, you sellout!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:04 AM, daveyjones said:

Interesting, it always sounded like a musicman to me.

Anyway to get Trombino to confirm was Tom was using?

Time to nerd out hard if Trombino has notes he's willing to share.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

watch the "m+m's" video again @Q182... it totally is!!! how could i have missed this for 25 years i have no idea. he flashed us a pic of what it looks like today. one knob missing, still kicking!

Just pulled it up to jog my memory! With the OG wheelchair sticker on the side...classic! Glad he still has it and that it’s still going!

Now that we finally know what the amp is, are you going to build an replica Hoppus rig to go with your stingray and DeLonge setup? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Q182 said:

Now that we finally know what the amp is, are you going to build an replica Hoppus rig

yes i kind of want to. already identified the cab. you can get them for about four bills:

https://reverb.com/p/ampeg-svt-810e-classic-series-8x10-bass-cabinet

the head, on the other hand, is rare AF. the only listing is that one in poland right now. overpriced.

but yea SVT-II late 80s / early 90s. not be confused with the SVT-II pro from the same era (same polish seller):

https://reverb.com/item/38515030-ampeg-svt-ii-pro-premiere-edition-300w-bass-amp-head-107-250

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yes i kind of want to. already identified the cab. you can get them for about four bills:

https://reverb.com/p/ampeg-svt-810e-classic-series-8x10-bass-cabinet

the head, on the other hand, is rare AF. the only listing is that one in poland right now. overpriced.

but yea SVT-II late 80s / early 90s. not be confused with the SVT-II pro from the same era (same polish seller):

Would love to see that come together! Ah yes, the tried and true Ampeg 8x10. The staple bass rig cabinet and worlds biggest pain the ass 😁

Before I put my current setup together, I had always wanted to build a replica ‘97 DeLonge rig. Dual Rec Rackmount with Korg Toneworks tuner and power conditioner (hopefully you saw the references I posted for that amp in the other thread). Like the SVT-II head, it is also rare AF.  Then I got my VL-1002 and it was game over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Q182 said:

Ah yes, the tried and true Ampeg 8x10. The staple bass rig cabinet and worlds biggest pain the ass 😁

I had always wanted to build a replica ‘97 DeLonge rig. Dual Rec Rackmount with Korg Toneworks tuner and power conditioner (hopefully you saw the references I posted for that amp in the other thread).

yea but at least it has that moving handle it on it because they know it's like hauling a freakin' refrigerator around.

i had a korg toneworks tuner in my rig back in the 90s. it was the rack tuner to have. everybody and their mother had one. live a lot of bands would leave them on while they played their set, so you'd see the light swoop go back and forth all over the place with every chord change.

only all these years later looking at the whiskey photo did i remember that tom had one back then too.

i had to have one for my rig now because i'm just so nostalgic for the look of the thing. the one they make these days is ugly as hell imo. yuck:

https://reverb.com/item/292132-korg-pb-05-pitchblack-pro-rack-tuner

and it's not like digital tuning technology has taken some big leap. the pedals have gotten a bit smaller (i have the lovely polytune for my bass amp) but that's about it. so i had to have the toneworks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea but at least it has that moving handle it on it because they know it's like hauling a freakin' refrigerator around.

i had a korg toneworks tuner in my rig back in the 90s. it was the rack tuner to have. everybody and their mother had one. live a lot of bands would leave them on while they played their set, so you'd see the light swoop go back and forth all over the place with every chord change.

only all these years later looking at the whiskey photo did i remember that tom had one back then too.

i had to have one for my rig now because i'm just so nostalgic for the look of the thing. the one they make these days is ugly as hell imo. 

Oh yeah definitely. Just the absolute worst is when stairs are involved. 

Yeah seriously! I've seen countless videos of every 90's punk band I like from that decade and saw at least one toneworks tuner in someone's rig. There's an old Strung Out video from 1999 at the old RKCNDY in seattle; rob, jake, and chris leave their tuners on during the show. Its rather mesmerizing lol

It's definitely easy on the eyes, totally agree with the one thats out now is nothing like the OG unit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

do you have a link? i can't for the life of me find it on YT.

It was up on YT for awhile, but unfortunately the uploader took it down for some dumb reason. It was a seminal show too, it was right after Chris joined when they fired Jim (r.i.p.) while they were still touring on twisted by design.

• Like 1