Acoustic Treatments for home/bedroom studio

Kay

So I'm finally getting my own music room sorted and I don't understand a goddamn thing about treating a room, I've read some guides but it's all new to me. 

I can't afford to spend out on the super fancy traps and panels but I've heard you can make your own with reasonable results. Anyone done this? Any advice? 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

So I'm finally getting my own music room sorted and I don't understand a goddamn thing about treating a room, I've read some guides but it's all new to me. 

I can't afford to spend out on the super fancy traps and panels but I've heard you can make your own with reasonable results. Anyone done this? Any advice? 

We've used egg cartons stuffed with news paper, hung carpets on the walls, glued folded towels to ply wood and put those up. They all worked to decent enough results. It's not pretty though.

5 hours ago, daveyjones said:

back in the day when the band i was in practiced in a u-haul storage unit, we raided the back dumpster of a mattress store. but anyway you DYI it, like speedo says, it's a mess.

I mean some home made ones look great? 

do-it-yourself-sound-panels.jpg

26f23eae407927bb3b445939d4c73d08.jpg

feed-bt4000c-new.jpg

It's foam or fibreglass and wood, not exactly impossible. I have heard the mattress trick, the egg box one is a hell of a fire hazard. Just wondered if anyone had any luck with it? @Nealwas it you who build your own room? How did you tackle treating the room? 

Awesome! There are definately some small things that can enhance your experience in a room quite drastically, if you are smart about it.

Egg shells and that sort of stuff is useless. Kills high frequencies only and the problems are mostly low frequencies which require mass to be tamed.

Do you have a floorplan of your room? 

I mostly used rockwool in my room which is quite affordable and easy to work with. The results are also great.

I'd start out with a floorplan and deciding where you want to place your speakers. Based on that you can either calculate, or even better , measure where treatment is necessary.

That might sound a bit over the top for just a hobby music room, but if you put effort in room treatment, you might as well put it into things that are worth it. 

I put the rockwool into a wooden frame and wrapped it in fabric, no big deal and no mess at all. 

Let me know if i can help with anything. I'd be glad to

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, Neal said:

Awesome! There are definately some small things that can enhance your experience in a room quite drastically, if you are smart about it.

Egg shells and that sort of stuff is useless. Kills high frequencies only and the problems are mostly low frequencies which require mass to be tamed.

Do you have a floorplan of your room? 

I mostly used rockwool in my room which is quite affordable and easy to work with. The results are also great.

I'd start out with a floorplan and deciding where you want to place your speakers. Based on that you can either calculate, or even better , measure where treatment is necessary.

That might sound a bit over the top for just a hobby music room, but if you put effort in room treatment, you might as well put it into things that are worth it. 

I put the rockwool into a wooden frame and wrapped it in fabric, no big deal and no mess at all. 

Let me know if i can help with anything. I'd be glad to

You rock! I'd heard about the high frequency thing with egg boxes and the like, glad to have that confirmed. 

I am concerned cuz it's out of my knowledge area or comfort zone and I'm not sure what's going where yet. 

I also have an awkward as fuck room. I'll look into making a floor plan and I'll tag you, see if we can work it out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...