BUDDHA FULL LENGTH SAMPLE CASSETTE

John Roundear

15 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

and there you have it! if people throw these up on youtube or wherever it would be nice to credit jo182 as the tape owner and daveyjones as the cassette ripper. but we know internet's gonna internet. we knew that going in. i expect chesh to watermark these and start selling bootleg CDs out of the trunk of a car before we know it.

Davey, this is incredible. You’re the best.

And if anyone does upload anywhere, it would be great to also credit the original owner, @John Roundear

• Like 1

So Joe didn't have much to say regarding the demo sessions with Warren other than he'd have to check with him (Warren). He also suggested I message Warren as well. I did but never heard back yet.

Joe did have this to say regarding the Buddha Promo tape Davey just ripped:

It was a low budget production engineered partly by this guy named "O". Warren Fitzgerald remixed some of the tracks after we acquired it. It probably cost $100 per track to produce. Dude Ranch was more like $8,000 per track.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

engineered partly by this guy named "O". Warren Fitzgerald remixed some of the tracks after we acquired it.

we know "ben wah balls" was recorded during the cheshire cat sessions and is the album version on this tape. could joe perhaps mean that the short bus sessions (as we call them) is when all the rest of these were done (first half 1994)? i could buy that. the timeline makes sense, and the variance in quality can be explained by the fact that only some of them were remixed. "princess leia" sounds like a straight up jeff forest doubletime job, for example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

we know "ben wah balls" was recorded during the cheshire cat sessions and is the album version on this tape. could joe perhaps mean that the short bus sessions (as we call them) is when all the rest of these were done (first half 1994)? i could buy that. the timeline makes sense, and the variance in quality can be explained by the fact that only some of them were remixed. "princess leia" sounds like a straight up jeff forest doubletime job, for example.

Certainly possible. Getting Jeff and maybe even O on the podcast would probably certainly help clear things up.

• Like 1

This is awesome!! Thanks again @John Roundear @daveyjones @wastingtime. From what I can hear based off how the drums are eq'd as well as the guitar tones, the first 3 tracks were definitely part of the same recording session and production which I assume is the Warren "demo session" and tracks 4-8 were all likely recorded and produced from the "Short Bus sessions". You can especially note the kick drum and snare difference between the 2 sessions. Another interesting note is this was the Ben Wah Balls recording that made the final cut for Cheshire Cat even though Steve Kravac reminisced in this interview on how he recorded a version during the Cheshire Cat sessions. Maybe the band preferred the original take? Only bummer on this release is hearing the tape warble on the original Voyeur 🙁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fattubolard said:

This is awesome!! Thanks again @John Roundear @daveyjones @wastingtime

many questions and reasonable speculation for sure. i just hope @Ry-Bread get's some podcasts guests going that can shed some light. from what joe vandal said it sounds like all but "ben wah" could be from the same session, and the first grouping you singled out were the ones remixed by warren.

in which case it could be they intended for steve's take of "ben wah" to be on here, and the album version was dubbed on instead. i mean, look at the obvious mistakes on the tape label. and our bits of warbled mastering. anything is possible.