BUDDHA FULL LENGTH SAMPLE CASSETTE

John Roundear

Man i caught COVID and this is the first time ive been able to really slow down and catch up on this forum, and hearing this has really brought back memories of downloading the old blink demos years ago. needed it this week. thanks to everyone who made it happen

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks for ripping this, Davey. Really appreciate it. Also thanks to Jo and John.

Since the early 2000s, two rips have been floating around. One was super over-amplified and the other was decent. Not sure which one(s) is on YouTube. I've kept the decent (192 kbps) rip, but this 320 rip is audibly better quality and less flat, even without headphones. It's curious that "A New Hope" isn't listed as "Princess Leia" like in the previous rips.

I remember seeing a copy of the tape on a Facebook group in early 2018, but it was never listened to properly. It had to be the infamous promo.

33163110_10155957167120379_2056008923428683776_n.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ourcore said:

Thanks for ripping this, Davey. Really appreciate it.

Since the early 2000s, two rips have been floating around. One was super over-amplified and the other was decent. Not sure which one(s) is on YouTube. I've kept the decent (192 kbps) rip, but this 320 rip is audibly better quality and less flat, even without headphones.

I remember seeing a copy of the tape on a Facebook group in early 2018, but it was never listened to properly.

33163110_10155957167120379_2056008923428683776_n.jpg

I posted this image to the Facebook group trying to figure out what the hell it actually is. I've had the shitty mp3s since the 2000ish. It's nice to finally shed some light on this tape.

Thank you @wastingtimefor sharing rips with us via Davey. I finally have a listenable copy and it sounds great.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OrganGrinderX182 said:

Man i caught COVID and this is the first time ive been able to really slow down and catch up on this forum, and hearing this has really brought back memories of downloading the old blink demos years ago. needed it this week. thanks to everyone who made it happen

happy to brighten your day in these dark times! take care

6 hours ago, ourcore said:

It's curious that "A New Hope" isn't listed as "Princess Leia"

as far as i can tell, it was not retitled until dude ranch. this cassette might be the first time the track bears the new title. when i was seeing them live in 1995 they always introduced it as "princess leia"

Thank you so much!!!

Blink182online should upload this on its youtube page (dont know if it already has it) and mention the people involved in this rip.

My favourite era of blink is 1996 when Tom made that catchy guitar riffs. I wish we had a good CD quality songs from that era (like Zulu & Lemmings as bonus tracks of the japanese Cheshire Cat edition, or Wrecked Him from the Wasting Time EP).

This is the closest we will have from most of the songs from that era.

• Like 1

this is truly unbelievable. i remember when i was first compiling the timeline there were so many mysteries. other question marks -- the true release date of CC, the first gig, etc -- came and fell. the suspected "buddha promo" was the last true mystery. it never made sense to me: there were these ear-splitting low-res MP3 floating around for decades, of what seemed to be a combo of released (wasting time) and unreleased (princess leia) blink tunes. for some time i thought it might even be a fan prank, though the unreleased tracks clearly indicated otherwise.

perhaps i was a dunce on this one, but my mind kept thinking "why would the band put out a promo for their first cassette?" -- duhhh, it was kung-fu all along. still though, even their rationale for it is shrouded in uncertainty, and it's existence altogether is a little strange. the other theories in the thread are reasonable, though it could've been that kung-fu were planning a blink rarities compilation after buddha and these ultra-limited tapes were gauging interest. the band clearly dislikes their early work, so maybe EOTS was taking off and they said no. or just that kung-fu was trying to determine what tracks to replace "family next door"/"transvestite" with and mark liked "girl next door"/"don't" best.

after listening, my first thoughts: thankful for @wastingtime for acquiring and sharing this gold for us, and to @daveyjones for his stellar work ripping it. they are truly phenomenal sounding iterations of our favorite songs, especially the new rips of the two short bus songs and, of course, our still-unreleased few (voyeur/leia). i appreciate that the high quality of the rip can allow us to have discussions about what was recorded when, where, etc. i'll leave that to you experts -- i'm just happy the mystery is finally solved.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, box182 said:

Thank you so much!!!

Blink182online should upload this on its youtube page (dont know if it already has it) and mention the people involved in this rip.

My favourite era of blink is 1996 when Tom made that catchy guitar riffs. I wish we had a good CD quality songs from that era (like Zulu & Lemmings as bonus tracks of the japanese Cheshire Cat edition, or Wrecked Him from the Wasting Time EP).

This is the closest we will have from most of the songs from that era.

the original "waggy" from the uranus sessions is here:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-MOM-Music-For-Our-Mother-Ocean/master/401175

"wrecked him" and "zulu" here:

https://www.discogs.com/Blink-182-Dick-Lips/master/1469096

"lemmings" (and also "wrecked him") here:

https://www.discogs.com/Blink-182-Wasting-Time-1996-Australian-Tour-EP/master/904848

the "good times" TV theme song cover here:

https://www.discogs.com/Blink-182-Apple-Shampoo/release/2621579

"dancing with myself" cover here:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Before-You-Were-Punk/master/1570326

4 hours ago, boxelder said:

this is truly unbelievable.

i appreciate that the high quality of the rip can allow us to have discussions about what was recorded when, where, etc. i'll leave that to you experts -- i'm just happy the mystery is finally solved.

YES YES YES 😃

@daveyjones, do you have that comp where waggy is? can you rip that song alone with eac? It sucks to pay 10$ in shipping just for one song

I think Zulu & Lemmings sound better on the Cheshire Cat CD than the Wasting time & Dick Lips EPs. Not the same transfer/master

And prefer Wrecked HIm on Dick Lips over the Wasting Time version (again, they sound different)

Maybe you can tell me why, I'm talking just based on my ears