BUDDHA FULL LENGTH SAMPLE CASSETTE

John Roundear

6 hours ago, box182 said:

@daveyjones, do you have that comp where waggy is? can you rip that song alone with eac? It sucks to pay 10$ in shipping just for one song

I think Zulu & Lemmings sound better on the Cheshire Cat CD than the Wasting time & Dick Lips EPs. Not the same transfer/master

And prefer Wrecked HIm on Dick Lips over the Wasting Time version (again, they sound different)

Maybe you can tell me why, I'm talking just based on my ears

i have the tracks on all the original silvers. you are correct that the mastering levels are different on each disc. but the recording and mix are identical. i can't say i have a preference but i have not compared in a while.

the MOM comp has tons of good songs on it. just buy it and keep the used record trade humming along. $10 is less than a burger lunch.

1 hour ago, Ash-517 said:

That reminds me, I've been planning to sorta digitally assemble all the tracks from TCTCU since I don't have a turntable. Seems like the Wasting Time and Dick Lips EPs might put a hurtin' on my wallet though. Not sure where else to find Wrecked Him and Zulu.

Zulu is also on the Japanese edition of Cheshire Cat. I used the Wasting Time/Cheshire Cat copies of Wrecked Him/Zulu respectively to make a "digital" copy of TCTCU in my iTunes since the Dick Lips tracks are louder and didn't match Waggy from the MOM CD.

11 minutes ago, ourcore said:

Zulu is also on the Japanese edition of Cheshire Cat. I used the Wasting Time/Cheshire Cat copies of Wrecked Him/Zulu respectively to make a "digital" copy of TCTCU in my iTunes since the Dick Lips tracks are louder and didn't match Waggy from the MOM CD.

Zulu also appears on the Serial Killer compilation from Fearless Records in the late 90s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

That's a pretty good comp too. Love that song "Proctologist" from Beefcake. I saw them open for Against All Authority once. Good show.

For anyone who didn't know, the band Cooter on that comp is the band Autopilot Off. They were forced to change their name not long after this comp came out. Good band, especially fun live.

• Like 1

This is fantastic. I can't believe I'm listening to these demos in this quality.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:56 AM, daveyjones said:

new hope sounds like it was cut for uranus. it's that fucking glorious. if you know me, you know this is HIGH praise.

The Uranus sound is unreal, I love it so much and I can actually hear it in The Girl Next Door too.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Elisa said:

This is fantastic. I can't believe I'm listening to these demos in this quality.

The Uranus sound is unreal, I love it so much and I can actually hear it in The Girl Next Door too.  

I agree. And The Girl Next Door was in their setlist in late 1995. I remember it being in the October 95 Fort Worth Texas show.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

I agree. And The Girl Next Door was in their setlist in late 1995. I remember it being in the October 95 Fort Worth Texas show.

I just saw the post where Davey says that it's possible that The Girl Next Door was recorded around the time of the Uranus session and just by hearing the song in that quality right now, I guess it makes sense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

yup i saw them play it more than once in 1995. same with the uranus tracks and "leia." heck they were playing "zulu" in 94!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2021 at 2:15 AM, daveyjones said:

for years we thought it was a fake, a rumor, a unicorn! but no. it's real.

ok here are all the details for my fellow nerds...

first off, with this tape we now have heard all the demo material prior to the dude ranch demo sessions (the ones mark played me in 1996, the ones @veeRob managed to get back to him last year) known to exist.

also, @Ry-Bread forget about buddha (~1,000 copies) or even short bus (500 copies). from what i gather these were dubbed for only a small number of industry folks, record store people etc. maybe @blinkstillrules can ask joe vandal if he remembers. but @wastingtime should know that this tape surely has to be the rarest "commercially pressed" blink recording known to exist. 

cassette side A:

BBP-A.jpg

cassette side B:

BBP-B.jpg

RECORDING LINEAGE

Denon DRW-585 (through furman power conditioner to eliminate RF noise) --> RCA to 1/8" to iMac (line-in) --> audacity. here is the waveform of all eight tracks:

BBP-audacity-01.png

spectral analysis proves the source is not lossy:

BBP-audacity-02.png

post processing, pretty standard:

- normalization without clipping (top shelf about .5 / -.5 db as you can see)

- hiss removal based on blank audio sample, typical four seconds.

- track splitting with two second leaders front and back.

AND... when i played back, i noticed the tape was not in tune. tape speed error on the original dubbing stage. so i pitch corrected... it was a quarter of a semitone flat. adjusted. all the tracks are now in perfect pitch, standard E tuning now.

WAV --> FLAC / MP3

TRACK ORIGINS ETC

the labeling on the cassette, though genuine, is inaccurate. i chose to label the tracks exactly as they are presented on the label:

01 A New Hope
02 The Girl Next Door
03 Strung Out
04 Ben Wah Balls
05 Does My Breath Smell
06 Voyeur
07 Wasting Time
08 Don't

on the label it says "ALL SONGS WRITTEN BY BLINK 182 AND RECORDED in 1995."
first of all, "the girl next door" is a screeching weasel cover (for which ben STILL gets royalty payments! according to @SpinUpSpeedo who is in touch with him). second, some of these tracks date back to at least 1994.

my feeling / suspicion with this tape is that it was used to generate interest in kung fu re-releasing the buddha tape in some form. and also to test drive what bonus tracks it might have on it. as we know, those two that made the cut are"the girl next door" and "don't." here are the origins of the other tracks, and how i prefer to name them:

01 Princess Leia (Original Version) - i suspect this is from the 1995 uranus sessions which gave us those three 7" tracks and also "lemmings" and the "good times" TV theme cover. but i'm only speculating based on the sound and the pace of the track. only jeff forest can tell us. i hope @Ry-Bread finally gets him on the 182news podcast.

02 The Girl Next Door - on the final 1998 kung fu records buddha release. i suspect this is a 1995 recording, perhaps the uranus sessions too. it's cheaper to record a bunch of songs at once is why i suspect it's all from a single doubletime session with jeff.

03 Strung Out (Enthused Demo) - this is just the "enthused" demo that ended up on the 1996 australian wasting time EP. that CD's card lists that it was produced by warren fitzgerald of the vandals. @blinkstillrules has info about this directly from joe vandal (joe escalante) but i will let him chime in, i don't want to risk misquoting him.

04 Ben Wah Balls (Cheshire Cat Version) - recorded second half of 1994. same as the album but note the warbling. this tape damage is at the master dubbing level and not unique to @wastingtime's cassette. earlier poor quality rips on youtube etc confirm that it's the same.

05 Does My Breath Smell (Short Bus 7" version). recorded first half of 1994, after buddha. i do not know the session dates. maybe @boxelder remembers the invoice that jeff posted? note the name on label is missing the "?" amend back on for purists. i bought my short bus at a show in 1995 and still have it. i have ripped it to lossless. even with hiss/noise reduction this mastering blows it out of the water. 

06 Voyeur (First Version). this is not the "voyeur" on dude ranch. it's the first of three. according to mark from one of his twitch streams, the second one was demoed with other dude ranch tracks. that's the one @veeRob passed along to mark. all three songs are completely different but share the title and some lyrical themes. unfortunately, the source suffers from the same warbling as that on "ben wah balls." to me it sounds like an unbalanced tape head.

07 Wasting Time (Short Bus 7" version). recorded first half of 1994. even with hiss/noise reduction this mastering blows the short bus version out of the water. 

08 Don't - on the final 1998 kung fu records buddha release. i find it hard to believe that this was recorded for buddha with pat secor and then cut. by all accounts they were pressed for time. BUT mark's vocal DOES sound very buddha-esque on here (low register, winded, a bit flat).

and there you have it! if people throw these up on youtube or wherever it would be nice to credit jo182 as the tape owner and daveyjones as the cassette ripper. but we know internet's gonna internet. we knew that going in. i expect chesh to watermark these and start selling bootleg CDs out of the trunk of a car before we know it.

Dude, this is amazing. Thanks. and thanks to John for being so kind as to share.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 10:15 PM, bradsonemanband said:

Amazing stuff right here! Thanks for your work on getting these HQ rips, ha gang!

Davey, don’t you have a HQ rip of Flyswatter? I think I remember you mentioning it awhile ago. I could be wrong. Would you/whoever has it ever share it with this community?

yes i have lossless of flyswatterdemo #2, and buddha from my own cassettes. will not be sharing due to bootlegging concerns (fake tapes being sold).

• 3 months later...