BBC 1 radio session 2004 ?

madgaz182

Ok so I’m sure you all heard the bbc radio one sessions back in 2004 right around the release of the untitled album

well my question I’ve had for all these years after first hearing those tracks 

Down, Always and Go( later released on greatest hits )

what the hell happened to the guitar sound and the general playing of the songs on those live sessions, usually the bbc live lounge sound amazing while these sound terrible 

was anything ever mentioned as to why Toms guitar seemed to only use clean sound with little to no distortion and why the drum arrangements were totally different to album versions ?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, madgaz182 said:

Ok so I’m sure you all heard the bbc radio one sessions back in 2004 right around the release of the untitled album

well my question I’ve had for all these years after first hearing those tracks 

Down, Always and Go( later released on greatest hits )

what the hell happened to the guitar sound and the general playing of the songs on those live sessions, usually the bbc live lounge sound amazing while these sound terrible 

was anything ever mentioned as to why Toms guitar seemed to only use clean sound with little to no distortion and why the drum arrangements were totally different to album versions ?

It’s blink dude. They’ve never been known for quality live performances. Travis is great live, but he’s always added bits and pieces to keep things fresh. It’s not like he deviated far from the album though. As for Mark and Tom sounding like shit, that’s par for the course. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

It’s blink dude. They’ve never been known for quality live performances. Travis is great live, but he’s always added bits and pieces to keep things fresh. It’s not like he deviated far from the album though. As for Mark and Tom sounding like shit, that’s par for the course. 

Nah I’m a long term vet of blink and that sound they produced on the sessions was insanely odd 

Go was the only one that was album like 

it made no sense since they had already done performances of those songs and they sounded atleast half decent 

• Like 1

Those did sound especially bad. I think it has to do with how it was recorded and/or mixed. Even recently there are some pro-shot blink videos that sound great while others sound like shit and I don't think it has anything to do with the band's actual performance that day, but with the method of recording instead. I don't know for sure but that's my guess.

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Those did sound especially bad. I think it has to do with how it was recorded and/or mixed. Even recently there are some pro-shot blink videos that sound great while others sound like shit and I don't think it has anything to do with the band's actual performance that day, but with the method of recording instead. I don't know for sure but that's my guess.

Yeah I know bad recordings make them sound bad but for live lounge that bad it’s unheard of like the guitars just sounded weird and the playing was just mental 

I remember listening to it back when it was live thinking “eh it must be just a demo track they supplied the radio station “

Although these sessions have an odd sound and Tom sounds so off key at times, I actually love these sessions. I remember thinking to myself there's no videos of blink ever performing Always live back then. Then i came across this performance and I just thought it was a really bad blink cover band. But I did stop listening after the first 2 lines and that's where Tom's voice sounds really bad.

Years later, I listened to the full thing and realised blink had actually played Always at least once live back then. Fun performances to listen to even if they do sound bad. I'm sure Tom mentioned in the interview of these performances that he couldn't really hear himself sing, so that'll explain why he was worse than usual at the time.

7 hours ago, madgaz182 said:

Nah I’m a long term vet of blink and that sound they produced on the sessions was insanely odd 

Go was the only one that was album like 

it made no sense since they had already done performances of those songs and they sounded atleast half decent 

If you were a vet you would have figured it out then. It’s really a par performance for blink, especially trying to play songs that arent as simple as all the small things 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

If you were a vet you would have figured it out then. It’s really a par performance for blink, especially trying to play songs that arent as simple as all the small things 

Nah man, I agree with @madgaz182 that these are specifically weird performances. Not just the usual sloppy Blink. The arrangements are all over the place, Travis sounds like he's playing a toy drum kit, Tom's guitar sounds like it's barely coming out of an 8 inch amp, honestly I always wondered if they were going for a "stripped down" type of performance and it turned out awkward haha. Or Travis and/or Tom were just high as fuck.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Nah man, I agree with @madgaz182 that these are specifically weird performances. Not just the usual sloppy Blink. The arrangements are all over the place, Travis sounds like he's playing a toy drum kit, Tom's guitar sounds like it's barely coming out of an 8 inch amp, honestly I always wondered if they were going for a "stripped down" type of performance and it turned out awkward haha. Or Travis and/or Tom were just high as fuck.

I get the part about the sound. That’s obviously mixing/engineering. But the actual performance by the members is nothing different than how they always play. Just their usual, sloppy, off key selves 

On 1/29/2021 at 6:17 AM, Diddy Faplord said:

i mean it's really splitting hairs between "usually bad" and "unusually bad" isn't it? we can call these sessions "remarkably terrible and odd" but that doesn't make sloppy blink any less typical.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, daveyjones said:

i mean it's really splitting hairs between "usually bad" and "unusually bad" isn't it? we can call these sessions "remarkably terrible and odd" but that doesn't make sloppy blink any less typical.

Pretty much!

• Like 1