Foo Fighters- Medicine at Midnight

Ghent

Been giving this album a listen. I didn't expect much, honestly, but this one is doing the trick. Their best since Wasting Light for sure. Hitting on all kinds of rock genres here. Riffs galore! And they are carrying the songs

Early favorites?

No Son of Mine

Making a Fire

Medicine at Midnight

I also listened to it, thought it was boring as hell. It's nice that Dave Grohl still seems to be having a lot of fun making music, but I've had a feeling Wasting Light was going to be their last album I enjoyed. 

I think I'll trust, say Rolling Stone magazine, over a couple of Foo haters that probably listened to this as much as Diddy Faplord listened to MGK...

"From the first track, “Making a Fire,” the album is brighter and more optimistic than anything they’ve ever done."

"Whether it’s a sense of paternal pride or sheer determination, Grohl sounds reinvigorated here, and that enthusiasm is the group’s guiding light on the record."

"When Grohl swears “There’s got to be more to this . . . because I need more,” on the slow-building “Waiting on a War,” the record’s best rocker, it sounds like an arena singalong waiting to happen."

• Haha 1

I'm not a Foo Fighters hater - my favorite album of theirs is Wasting Light, followed by The Colour and the Shape and their debut. I like There Is Nothing Left to Lose and One by One too. I listened to them a lot in high school.

I did listen to Medicine at Midnight only twice, the reason being rock is the only genre where I know what I like and dislike pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Ghent, we get it - you like 4 bands so you have to force yourself to like everything they release otherwise you'd have absolutely fuck all to listen too. 

I'm with Nasa, always liked Foos (one of the first bands I ever saw live during the One by One era) and Dave Grohl is a legend - their new stuff since Wasting Light just fucking blows. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Ghent, we get it - you like 4 bands so you have to force yourself to like everything they release otherwise you'd have absolutely fuck all to listen too.

Never heard that one before

You're just a fuckin ass hole dude, not much else needs to be said ✌️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never was much of a FF fan, that's not saying anything about the music, just not for me.

However, I like a little drama so here's an anecdote: I bought a bunch of cds with my Christmas money one year when I was in some grade ... I don't remember ... among those 6 or 7 albums was Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow & Foo Fighters C&S. I bough C&S because everyone talked about it nonstop ... I liked the radio hits, hated the rest. I put on Everclear and it became and still is one of my favorite albums. I have no idea whatever happened to the Foo Fighters album, was never bothered to listen it again.

That track they did for Me, Myself & Irene fucking rips though ... and there's always a place in my heart for Monkey Wrench.

I’ve only heard the singles (did Run, Sky is a Neighborhood, and Shame make it onto the album?). 

I thought the first single was pretty decent, pretty standard Foo but a bit more aggressive. The other two didn’t do much for me, and I think it’s mainly the lack of any good melodies (the drum line in Shame is cool though). 

I like that Dave Grohl doesn’t really care about what people think and will make music whatever way he wants, but the new stuff doesn’t recapture the same magic IMO. Similar trajectory as RHCP (Wasting Light is their Stadium Arcadium).

4 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

You and Jar Jar have insulted my weight and how I look before (on more than one occasion) - or do you regard me mocking your taste in music as worse than this

The Hodor jab? That was five years ago dude

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The Hodor jab? That was five years ago dude

I know but you still did it, how old were you then? must have been close to 30? old enough to know better either way...

Just find it funny some of the stuff you say to people (I know I'm no saint as well) yet thisssssssssssss is what makes a fucking ass hole - guessing I touched a nerve? I know you did with Hodor which is why I have lost 35 pounds since then, now maybe you could do the same? maybe introduce a 5th (or dare I say 6th) band to the fab 4??

• Like 2

Just now, ...Dan... said:

I know but you still did it, how old were you then? must have been close to 30? old enough to know better either way...

Just find it funny some of the stuff you say to people (I know I'm no saint as well) yet thisssssssssssss is what makes a fucking ass hole - guessing I touched a nerve? I know you did with Hodor which is why I have lost 35 pounds since then, now maybe you could do the same? maybe introduce a 5th (or dare I say 6th) band to the fab 4??

Good on you for losing weight, but to be fair, the Hodor thing was never about weight that I can recall. And I'm not apologizing for it anyway. You were a major dick back then and you've made fun of my appearance as well. I figured ancient feuds could be put to rest, guess not

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Good on you for losing weight, but to be fair, the Hodor thing was never about weight that I can recall. And I'm not apologizing for it anyway. You were a major dick back then and you've made fun of my appearance as well. I figured ancient feuds could be put to rest, guess not

To be honest, I didn't think what I said in here was that bad (certainly no worse than when everyone was mocking Faplord about MGK) - it was just a bit of a joke and thought you'd take it in that way.

I can't be fucked to argue with either of you overly to be honest. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 1