Top 10 Pop Punk artists all time

Jan Backing Track

Just now, Feeling_This_1 said:

It sounds crazy, but MGK might be better than half the mid 2000s pop punk bands. 

It's like in the NFL when Patrick Mahomes played 1 year, but you already  knew he was one of the best ever. 

I wouldn't say he's 'better', but he made a better album than over half of them, and he difference is they became over saturated, his was a homage/nod to it, so I wouldn't say he's better than the originals but his take was great, really your boy Travis is a lot to thank for that, he likely put it all together as well as it did.

• Crab 2

3 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

It sounds crazy, but MGK might be better than half the mid 2000s pop punk bands. 

It's like in the NFL when Patrick Mahomes played 1 year, but you already  knew he was one of the best ever. 

You should be banned for life 

1 hour ago, Jan - Unofficial Moderator said:

I mean they're from our era so I'll always have a soft spot, but I assumed they never got much bigger because the guy looks like Quentin Tarantino and sounds like he has one of those nasal strips on.

They were never that big in Sweden so I don't have that nostalgic connection towards them. 

Simple plan though, that is my jam, one of very few bands where I always like their new albums every time they get released

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

They were never that big in Sweden so I don't have that nostalgic connection towards them. 

Simple plan though, that is my jam, one of very few bands where I always like their new albums every time they get released

Simple Plan is easy to hate on, and most of their lyrics from their first album are super cringy, but I can’t deny how god damn catchy and fun that album is. Never listened to them after that though. 

37 minutes ago, Mohammad Wall-E said:

Simple Plan is easy to hate on, and most of their lyrics from their first album are super cringy, but I can’t deny how god damn catchy and fun that album is. Never listened to them after that though. 

You should give one of their last two albums a chance, it's great stuff.

They're also a really great live band

2 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

You should give one of their last two albums a chance, it's great stuff.

They're also a really great live band

So i do remember seeing them by chance at warped tour, right before they blew up. And they were really good. I remember thinking I found a really rowdy punk band hahaha

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

and, since after BR and NOFX, power octaves.

Octaves kind of give it a non pop punk feel, I can't think of a poppy song with octaves, it gives it that minor/darker tone, which is cool, but yeah pop punk definitely was known for the bright power chord scales and palm mutes.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jan - Unofficial Moderator said:

Octaves kind of give it a non pop punk feel, I can't think of a poppy song with octaves, it gives it that minor/darker tone, which is cool, but yeah pop punk definitely was known for the bright power chord scales and palm mutes.

interesting take. all the poppier bands i can think of use them. every single one. but then you're talking major keys and basic circle of fifths stuff. but you're right that bands like BR and NOFX use minor keys and chords, and pair them with progressions in more discordant ways for a darker edge. @blinkstillrules... thoughts on power octave use when you have a moment please.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jan - Unofficial Moderator said:

What? First Date and All The Small Things literally are filled with octaves numb nuts 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

interesting take. all the poppier bands i can think of use them. every single one. but then you're talking major keys and basic circle of fifths stuff. but you're right that bands like BR and NOFX use minor keys and chords, and pair them with progressions in more discordant ways for a darker edge. @blinkstillrules... thoughts on power octave use when you have a moment please.

I love octave chords. They're kinda like power chords, just omitting the 5th and muting that string, so they're not really major or minor (like a power chord isn't really major or minor) and can work for either. I can definitely think of poppy sounding songs that use them. Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy" for starters. That intro is octave chords. "Feeling This" by blink. 

• Like 2