Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - general discussion

Patient #48273

4 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

There’s probably another YouTuber out there with an equally annoying thumbnail that agrees with what everyone else was saying too and says alkaline trio is very pop punk.

I don't know why you guys are arguing this so much, there's nothing wrong with being sub-genre, but that's what they are.

They aren't part of the American pie, summer, pop punk scene. Who cares.  

11 minutes ago, Juan said:

I don't know why you guys are arguing this so much, there's nothing wrong with being sub-genre, but that's what they are.

They aren't part of the American pie, summer, pop punk scene. Who cares.  

Pop punk is pretty much an early 90s phenomenon. That some, mostly god awful bands, had some success in the genre in the millennium turn doesn't mean they can just hijack the genre. 

• Like 2

That's literally what they did, they hijacked the genre, sorry.

When someone says "What kind of music do you listen to?" 

and you say "Oh, Pop-Punk"

They are going to think okay, so Blink 182, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard?

not..Alkaline Trio

you guys are so friggin biased just because you like Alkaline Trio so much, who cares if they aren't in that group of defined Pop punk.  I don't like New Found Glory, I'm willing to admit they're probably next to Blink 182 as most refined pop punk.

• Crab 1

40 minutes ago, Juan said:

Hmm this guy's take is interesting, not sure I agree with the comparisons fully but is totally fitting here.

He agrees with the late 90s early 2000s distinction of Pop punk I @Ghentand a few others were saying. 

These other bands like Alkaline are too sub-genre.

He started the video by separating mall punk and pop punk and then said mall punk was the real pop punk and pop punk wasn't. Strange turn. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Juan said:

That's literally what they did, they hijacked the genre, sorry.

When someone says "What kind of music do you listen to?" 

and you say "Oh, Pop-Punk"

They are going to think okay, so Blink 182, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard?

not..Alkaline Trio

you guys are so friggin biased just because you like Alkaline Trio so much, who cares if they aren't in that group of defined Pop punk.  I don't like New Found Glory, I'm willing to admit they're probably next to Blink 182 as most refined pop punk.

That's like saying a terrorist group hijacking a plane is the owner of that plane or who we should associate with that plane. 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's an interesting linguistic debate. Like with anything, is the definition used by a relatively small number of well-informed purists more valid/accurate/useful than how the term is used by the vast majority of people?

I think the pizza debate in the beginning is pretty much the same thing and to me is an equal comparison. I consider both All Time Low and Screeching Weasel pop punk. They're just different kinds. Pizza hut and Naples pizza are both pizza. Saying pizza hut is the real pizza and pizza from Naples is not is nuts. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Depf said:

One is the original. The other is overproduced, formulaic and bloated. And lowers your vigor and erases your lust for women.

Some pizza is more equal than others.

Pista la mummata, always with the pizza

Pizza hut is Blink pretty much. 

Also, I think if Green Day weren't as big, the mall punkers would have a better cause. Green Day is the by far biggest band in the genre and has been since their first 7 inch single pretty much. Saying they're not even part of the genre is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Depf said:

Nah, it's spicy because of top notch ingredients. 

Not as overproduced as the others. Though I admit that post raynor with the non stop ba dum tss and doubled guitars the analogy works very well.

Can we talk about salads and beef jerky please? My fat ass is on a diet and I'd die for some nuevo vesuvios or at least some chicago style pizza.

Screeching Weasel is the Chicago style pizza at least. 

9 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I think the pizza debate in the beginning is pretty much the same thing and to me is an equal comparison. I consider both All Time Low and Screeching Weasel pop punk. They're just different kinds. Pizza hut and Naples pizza are both pizza. Saying pizza hut is the real pizza and pizza from Naples is not is nuts. 

I think this is too general of a category though, pizza is such a broad spectrum which is what this comes down to, how broad it stretches for you.  When you say pop punk, sure you can squeeze just about anyone in there with a distorted guitar and catchy melody, the early 90s in relation to it, the more punk ones, the more pop ones, emo, but for many it's a defined era.  This guy kind of sums it up with the dickie shorts (joking or not, there's truth to it), summer vibes, gelled hair, american pie theme songs, skater bros, etc.  They might have not started it, or been the best to do it, but they peaked the genre in popularity and sort of defined the term pop punk.

"California pizza chains" could be its own category vs just pizza itself.

When someone asks what you listen to and you listen to Screeching Weasel, you say you listen to Screeching Weasel, not Pop Punk, if you listen to bands like New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Blink 182 enema/toypaj, you say you listen to pop punk.

2 minutes ago, Juan said:

I think this is too general of a category though, pizza is such a broad spectrum which is what this comes down to, how broad it stretches for you.  When you say pop punk, sure you can squeeze just about anyone in there with a distorted guitar and catchy melody, the early 90s in relation to it, the more punk ones, the more pop ones, emo, but for many it's a defined era.  This guy kind of sums it up with the dickie shorts (joking or not, there's truth to it), summer vibes, gelled hair, american pie theme songs, skater bros, etc.  They might have not started it, or been the best to do it, but they peaked the genre in popularity and sort of defined the term pop punk.

"California pizza chains" could be its own category vs just pizza itself.

When someone asks what you listen to and you listen to Screeching Weasel, you say you listen to Screeching Weasel, not Pop Punk, if you listen to bands like New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Blink 182 enema/toypaj, you say you listen to pop punk.

Those bands are not as big as Green Day.

Of course I say pop punk when I say I listen to Screeching Weasel.

11 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Also, I think if Green Day weren't as big, the mall punkers would have a better cause. Green Day is the by far biggest band in the genre and has been since their first 7 inch single pretty much. Saying they're not even part of the genre is ridiculous. 

I get what he's saying though, Green Day are one of the most popular bands and popularized the whole genre, but they all wanted to be like blink not Green Day.

Green Day was really their own sound, you could say that about anyone, but I definitely classify them as pop, rock, pop rock, punk rock, pop punk all the same.  At least when you narrow it next to bands like Blink, simple plan, new found glory, good charlotte, etc