Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - general discussion

Patient #48273

6 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Those bands are not as big as Green Day.

Of course I say pop punk when I say I listen to Screeching Weasel.

I can bullshit, if someone off the street asks you what you listen to, you aren't saying pop punk if the bands you listen to are screeching weasel, because you don't want them to mix up and think you listen to New Found Glory type bands

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juan said:

I can bullshit, if someone off the street asks you what you listen to, you aren't saying pop punk if the bands you listen to are screeching weasel, because you don't want them to mix up and think you listen to New Found Glory type bands

2020 is right that most people don't know Screeching Weasel (nor NFG for that matter) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's an interesting linguistic debate. Like with anything, is the definition used by a relatively small number of well-informed purists more valid/accurate/useful than how the term is used by the vast majority of people?

I think they're both right. I would consider both Screeching Weasel and The Story so Far pop punk. I also think that in the past, the idea of reasoning with broader terms faced way more resistance than now. Everyone was more elitist with language and they didn't want to endorse the use of imprecise words, but with the passing of time the use of terms in a much wider sense has risen gigantically and it has to do a lot with how society is evolving. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, thongrider said:

2020 is right that most people don't know Screeching Weasel (nor NFG for that matter) 

Yeah but they're going to think of those bands from the early 2000s, not Screeching Weasel type bands, even if they're from that gen, or older or younger, they're going to assume those bands.

1 minute ago, Juan said:

Yeah but they're going to think of those bands from the early 2000s, not Screeching Weasel type bands, even if they're from that gen, or older or younger, they're going to assume those bands.

That's on them. 

I think they'd assume Blink or Green Day. Bands closely associated with Weasel. 

16 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's an interesting linguistic debate. Like with anything, is the definition used by a relatively small number of well-informed purists more valid/accurate/useful than how the term is used by the vast majority of people?

probably depends if you like spending time with "the vast majority of people." 😆

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Round 1 feels never-ending, but it’s almost over!

Rancid, New Found Glory, Lagwagon and NOFX move onto Round 2, which will begin early week.

It’ll be NFG vs. Lagwagon and NOFX vs. Rancid.

Feels a little too long, should we shorten the voting time?

4 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Brand New should rightly lose to the descendents, but this first album was gold.

What a song 

I'm going to listen to Your Favorite Weapon in full before going to bed, I haven't done that in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1