Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - general discussion

Patient #48273

47 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

I guess it shows that blink is the perfect middle point. Like it’s diluted down punk rock that still shares the same DNA  as screeching weasel -  but then sets the pedestal for poppy ballads/sensibilities that lead to MCS.

I guess with this comp - it’s like do you want to take the left step ( back into SW, Descendents, Lagwagon etc) or the right step into that more modern pop realm (FOB, MCS). To me, I prefer the DNA of the 90s precursors - rather than what it evolved into. That’s the beauty of music tho. To each their hideous own 

Very well said. I can’t stand the music that it evolved into either. All the pop punk/emo bands that came after blink are absolutely cringeworthy and lame. Fuck Fall Out Boy!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Machine Gun Skelly said:

Very well said. I can’t stand the music that it evolved into either. All the pop punk/emo bands that came after blink are absolutely cringeworthy and lame. Fuck Fall Out Boy!

Cheers bro. Our boys blink were the sweet spot indeed. Most of what they spawned can get in the bin ! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Machine Gun Skelly said:

Yeah 'modern pop punk' is truly awful, don't think there's a single band that has drawn me in the slightest.

Paramore if they count and the MGK album are the only ones

• Crab 1

38 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Are All Time Low considered Modern Pop Punk? they've been releasing music for 15+ years now. I'd say they're pop punk legends now. 

Modern in sound, not in time. 

55 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Are All Time Low considered Modern Pop Punk? they've been releasing music for 15+ years now. I'd say they're pop punk legends now. 

I honestly couldn't even think of any of the names that I've heard so I gave up. They've been around, but they're still more like the modern pop punk/post blink than the prime days

39 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'd say most of the people here consider anything post-2005 to be modern. And then you've got Davey who'd say that  anything after 1995 is modern.

I would say anything after 1979 is modern. 

17 hours ago, _Bagel said:

I guess it shows that blink is the perfect middle point. Like it’s diluted down punk rock that still shares the same DNA  as screeching weasel -  but then sets the pedestal for poppy ballads/sensibilities that lead to MCS.

I guess with this comp - it’s like do you want to take the left step ( back into SW, Descendents, Lagwagon etc) or the right step into that more modern pop realm (FOB, MCS). To me, I prefer the DNA of the 90s precursors - rather than what it evolved into. That’s the beauty of music tho. To each their hideous own 

Absolutely, one thing I noticed with this comp though was how many people think that liking bands such as Descendents or Ramones isn't a genuine thing, maybe it was just banter on their part.  

• Like 4