Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (8) Alkaline Trio vs (25) Machine Gun Kelly

Patient #48273

Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (8) Alkaline Trio vs (25) Machine Gun Kelly  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Alkaline Trio vs Machine Gun Kelly

• (8) Alkaline Trio
    • (25) Machine Gun Kelly

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/06/21 at 08:30 PM

Just now, Machine Gun Skelly said:

I thought it was The Beatles?

I mean I would actually say Chuck Berry by your standards, since the Beatles were inspired by him.

Chuck Berry....that ole Pop Punker

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Ramones- rock, punk rock?

Misfits- punk rock

buzzcocks- punk rock

Yes, they were punk bands but also they were the start of pop punk, being more melody and hook driven than traditional punk rock and that's where the aesthetic of pop punk has its roots.

Pop punk takes the attitude and sound of traditional punk and fuses it with a more mainstream appeal in melody, hooks, as well as subject matter. All three of those bands are pop punk because of the focus and direction of their music. Sure,, Misfits went metal after the first few releases and you're right about later days Ramones being more rock and I can see Buzzcocks as evolving into a rock band too but that's just 'cause their British and have that sound.

The point is these bands are the start of pop punk because they were the first to go against the traditional punk musical ethos and branch off ... influencing countless bands and spurring the bands that would in turn become influences for the modern bands you associate with pop punk. They aren't mutually exclusive from pop punk, they're just very early iterations of it and OH MY GOD I TOOK THE FUCKING BAIT GOD DAMMIT.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

This discussion doesn't make much sense because if you go waaay back in time, the punk genre was still developing as a distinct style of music and you have to apply the label retroactively.
If you recognise that pop punk is pop songs written in the punk rock style, then bands like Misfits, Ramones and Buzzcocks would meet the definition.
Of course they were not referred to as pop punk at the time, they were just punk. It's the same as referring to the Stooges as proto-punk. No one called them that, they were just a rock band, but they are generally agreed to meet the definition.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Slevin Seconds said:

Did he ever come out of the closet?

Lol, I don’t  know much about the man’s sexuality nor do I care. I know you’re just joking around too, i just can’t remember what his deal was. The dude was an OG rocker tho! And gave birth to such great stage names like Little Wayne and Little Pump. 

1 minute ago, Machine Gun Skelly said:

Lol, I don’t  know much about the man’s sexuality nor do I care. I know you’re just joking around too, i just can’t remember what his deal was. The dude was an OG rocker tho! And gave birth to such great stage names like Little Wayne and Little Pump. 

He also wrote the first diss-track.