Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (8) Alkaline Trio vs (25) Machine Gun Kelly

Patient #48273

Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (8) Alkaline Trio vs (25) Machine Gun Kelly  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Alkaline Trio vs Machine Gun Kelly

• (8) Alkaline Trio
    • (25) Machine Gun Kelly

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/06/21 at 08:30 PM

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Diddy’s gf definitely fucked MGK or something like that. Been saying it for weeks. I bet she’ll only give him a root of tickets to my downfall is playing in the background.

So funny that’s all you guys can come up with. Guess you must really be more obsessed with his looks than you’ll admit since you think he just automatically goes around fucking people’s GFS. Dude sucks , nothing more nothing less 

11 minutes ago, Machine Gun Smelly said:

I’ll explain this and then for real I vow to never talk about him.😂

Less than 10 minutes later...

4 minutes ago, Machine Gun Smelly said:

So funny that’s all you guys can come up with. Guess you must really be more obsessed with his looks than you’ll admit since you think he just automatically goes around fucking people’s GFS. Dude sucks , nothing more nothing less 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Oh and @Ghent said something about how Alk3 is too depressing to be pop punk because pop punk should exclusively be fun time summer jams or whatever.

I'll never forgive Feldmann for the stain he's put on the genre.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

This is pretty close to the general pop punk sound. Less bright obviously but still. Great song.  

Definitely think that's a straight up pop punk song. Could easily be a New Found Glory song with a more polished sound. Alkaline Trio have loads of pop punk songs IMO, but their albums are more varied when it comes to their sound. Kinda like Neighborhoods from blink to an extent. There's some pop punk and there's other shit on the same album.

Alkaline Trio's sound isn't as polished as most other pop punk bands. They're more raw like blink from the Dude Ranch era or other pop punk bands from the middle to late 90's. Songs like the Torture Doctor and This Addiction are just as pop punk as I Won't Be Home for Christmas by blink. Broken Wings is as pop punk as Green Day. Eating Me Alive reminds me of This is Home by blink cause of the new wave vibes blended with pop punk. Mercy Me is just as pop punk as Man Overboard by blink.

They're definitely a pop punk band IMO. They also shit all over MGK. Crimson is one of my favourite ever albums. MGK has 2-3 decent songs and then one great song on his album. I also think needs to be writing more albums of this style of music to even be on this list.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm so confused by the people saying they don't consider Alkaline Trio pop punk.

Not only are they not pop punk, they're not even close.

Low energy, dreadful lyrics about death, dreary tones and vocals. Goth rock?

• Like 1
  • Crab 3

Just now, Ghent said:

Not only are they not pop punk, they're not even close.

Low energy, dreadful lyrics about death, dreary tones and vocals. Goth rock?

Kinda like Not Now from blink? One of the few pop punk tracks on the smiley face album?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nosferatu said:

Kinda like Not Now from blink? One of the few pop punk tracks on the smiley face album?

I mean I don't really consider the Untitled album to be pop punk. A couple songs maybe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

I mean I don't really consider the Untitled album to be pop punk. A couple songs maybe

Oh same. It's a varied album. That's how I feel about Alkaline Trip's catalogue. Every album of theirs has some pop punk tracks then the rest of the tracks are more slower new wave, goth kinda stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

Idk maybe I need to broaden my definition of "pop punk", but to me they should be insanely catchy songs that could be played on popular radio stations to a wide demographic. Stuff that crosses that barrier into mainstream worthy, aka ATST/WMAA/First Date. By that standard I don't even really consider most of Untitled/Neighborhoods "pop punk" in the traditional sense.

So in terms of what I would realistically expect to hear on a pop hits radio station, it would totally be MGK. 

Exactly, Alkaline Trio is completely lacking the "pop" in pop punk.

• Crab 1

Just now, Nosferatu said:

Oh same. It's a varied album. That's how I feel about Alkaline Trip's catalogue. Every album of theirs has some pop punk tracks then the rest of the tracks are more slower new wave, goth kinda stuff.

Where's the new wave "goth" on anything prior to Crimson?