Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (8) Alkaline Trio vs (25) Machine Gun Kelly

Patient #48273

Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (8) Alkaline Trio vs (25) Machine Gun Kelly  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Alkaline Trio vs Machine Gun Kelly

• (8) Alkaline Trio
    • (25) Machine Gun Kelly

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/06/21 at 08:30 PM

Just now, Ghent said:

Exactly, Alkaline Trio is completely lacking the "pop" in pop punk.

I disagree. Just cause the lyrics and stuff are darker and they have more mellow vocals, doesn't mean it's not pop punk. I think of it as their own take of pop punk.

• Like 1

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

Yup and MGK is missing the "punk" (and "rock" imo) so this is a tough one.

Yeah, him not having a permanent band hurts him. But if we're only rating the music...

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Where's the new wave "goth" on anything prior to Crimson?

I was talking about it more from a general point of view. Their earlier albums probably had a more aggressive punk rock sound. They didn't really start blending the more goth and new wave stuff until later. Just like blink really.

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

In this thread, a lot of people who think pop punk started with EOTS.

Yup, it pretty much started with Enema. Earlier bands are mislabeled as pop punk. Like the Ramones? wtf that is not pop punk lol

• Like 1
  • Crab 2

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Yup, it pretty much started with Enema. Earlier bands are mislabeled as pop punk. Like the Ramones? wtf that is not pop punk lol

They're the god fathers of pop punk. They started it all.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

In this thread, a lot of people who think pop punk started with EOTS.

For me, it's probably the Ramones. Whenever I've been to club gigs of pop punk bands (Teenage Bottlerocket being one of the bands) Ramones are always playing on the monitors during the breaks or before the gig starts, when the bands are setting up.

Just now, Nasa said:

i don't get how you can listen to Blitzkrieg Bop and not think it's a pop punk song. that song is poppy as hell.

Just an annoying punk song. That band is majorly overrated. Pop punk was not founded by them lol

• Crab 2

4 minutes ago, Nasa said:

i don't get how you can listen to Blitzkrieg Bop and not think it's a pop punk song. that song is poppy as hell.

Just now, Ghent said:

If the Ramones are pop punk, then so are the Sex Pistols. Do we really want to go there?

These are punk bands.

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

What was blink before Enema?

2 minutes ago, Slevin Seconds said:

Also, Ghent is trolling for bites.

I hate both the Ramones and Sex Pistols, but bringing up the Pistols ruins his argument.

The Ramones took punk and added POP to it........therefore....POP-punk.

• Like 3