Attempting to recreate Tom's Cheshire Cat tone

5 minutes ago, Depf said:

Awesome info. I really need to get subscribed, just didn't have the time to do so the past few weeks. So the red strat definately wasn't the piece of **** someonefound in the trash lol.

Baritone tele? I've always thought that he used a lot of tele twang on EOTS.

The tone settings do make sense. Can't wait to test them on the 503. It's not far off from what i used, just a load more amp  gain. my best early blink sound alikes use a ton of pedal gain and high end so I'm not surprised by that part at least.

So red strat into jcm800 and then the ampeg with the white strat (hot rais + middle singlecoil)for cheshire? Amazing new info, it makes you wonder when and for what the white strat without the x2n was used.

Thanks for sharing the straight info for us non stream peasants hehe.  Any info on the dude ranch guitars?

Red strat could've been a piece of shit someone discarded. Can't tell if it's MIM or MIA.

Looked like a regular tele in the pic I saw.

The pics at Doubletime were the red strat too. We're thinking possibly only the red on Cheshire now and that the white was purchased right after they finished recording Cheshire along with an Ampeg VL-1002.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

Red strat could've been a piece of shit someone discarded. Can't tell if it's MIM or MIA.

Looked like a regular tele in the pic I saw.

The pics at Doubletime were the red strat too. We're thinking possibly only the red on Cheshire now and that the white was purchased right after they finished recording Cheshire along with an Ampeg VL-1002.

thanks for sharing boys🙋‍♂️

so there goes my hot rail + singlecoil theory if it really was only the red strat lol.

seems like a hss strat (with either x2n/sh8/dirty fingers) into a tubescreamer into a marshall with a flanger in the fx loop is all you need for blink 94-2015 

Do we have any idea whether the ampeg uses symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping for its boost?

I found asymmetric boosts (boss) work great with the marshall to get that boosted ampeg sound. + you can approximate the buddha fender sound more easily as the tubescreamers just do not offer enough gain on a clean amp.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, blinkstillrules said:

@daveyjones and I subscribe to Mark's twitch. If you subscribe you get access to a twitch subscriber channel on Mark's discord where he occasionally drops pictures of gear and the past.

Over the weekend he did a big drop of various photos.

Cheshire Cat recording sessions were dropped along with EOTS recording sessions (Tom using a tele on one of the songs) and one Dude Ranch session picture (Can't see Tom's amp or any amp for that matter, in the photo).

For Cheshire, we can confirm Tom is seen with the red strat, which is a Fender (you can see the headstock), using position 4 middle and neck single coils blended. Ampeg VL-1002 at Doubletime using the settings Davey described. JCM800 at Westbeach.

As davey mentioned, can't share pics. Wouldn't be fair as it's a private subscription channel. Join up to see them!

Wasnt someone saying in like a past discussion that they thought they heard a tele on enema?

3 minutes ago, Burgersandcole said:

Wasnt someone saying in like a past discussion that they thought they heard a tele on enema?

that'd be me. That twang and prominent bottom end is not a strat to my ears.

grain of salt though, I was sure that Cheshire was hot rails + middle singlecoil.

I'm grasping at straws here, but maybe since we saw the white strat in live use (sans X2N) before the ampeg, that the white strat (hot rails + sc) was maybe used with gurewitz jcm 800.

FWIW I did some testing with my SSS Strats and managed to get real close to Hotrails/SC sounds by upping the pregain and saturating the tone quite a bit more. I tend to forget how much more gain the ampegs have on tap. Much more than the 800 and thats before the boost.

Awesome that Mark drops those fotos to you guys, I'll be sure to join.

I would say the distorted guitars on EOTS sound like the LP with an invader and a triple rec blended with the JCM900 but some of the cleans must be done with a tele. Into what amp I'm not sure. In the pics there are tons of amps and cabs all mic'ed up.

23 hours ago, Q182 said:

So last night I finally had a chance to test out the settings Davey wrote he said were from the Cheshire Cat sessions. Signal chain is my Strat with stock neck & middle pickups @ position 4 straight into the VL-1002. Here are the results! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nliJXcuJvRA4JBuKgeZBrfgSZk6KfQtD/view?usp=sharing

Sounds good!

I don't get closer on the 503 with single coils....Only if i overlay it with a humbucker. There's just not enough compression and mid range from the singlecoils on their own.

Can we positively rule out that the white strat was at play at all?

Just now, blinkstillrules said:

I'm on the fence. I wanna say yeah but then watch evidence will come out he used it haha.

My thoughts as well @Depf 

I swear every time we think no on something, evidence comes up and proves us wrong. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I'm on the fence. I wanna say yeah but then watch evidence will come out he used it haha.

Its crazy how this only came out 16 years later. Mark def is a sweetheart for letting us know. I'm just going on a limb here and say it probably was. Will try to record another soundlike with the hot rails/503 next week. Its just closer to my ears and if i am not mistaken we have seen the white strat before we have seen the ampeg

by 2023 we will know what guitar  hit what amp for dude ranch. hopefully.

btw, I was an asshole and bought a second fender Princeton. If anyone needs one (preferably from the EU or shipping will be a expensive) pm me.

Could be a total fail on my part but that amp is all buddha to my ears 

• Like 2
On 3/26/2021 at 9:47 PM, Depf said:

Its crazy how this only came out 16 years later. Mark def is a sweetheart for letting us know. I'm just going on a limb here and say it probably was. Will try to record another soundlike with the hot rails/503 next week. Its just closer to my ears and if i am not mistaken we have seen the white strat before we have seen the ampeg

by 2023 we will know what guitar  hit what amp for dude ranch. hopefully.

btw, I was an asshole and bought a second fender Princeton. If anyone needs one (preferably from the EU or shipping will be a expensive) pm me.

Could be a total fail on my part but that amp is all buddha to my ears 

Buddha prob was the Princeton...or that Fender head/cab we saw in that Oct 94 live video (Fender M80?).

We think that Ampeg in Mark's photo maybe was a studio amp (or maybe belonged to O). Reason being, that VL-1002 has white lettering (I think it was the earliest models that did - @Q182 might know) and Tom's, as seen in later photos, has the purple lettering like mine, @Q182 and @daveyjones all have.

Tom may have liked the studio amp so much that's why he bought one.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

We think that Ampeg in Mark's photo maybe was a studio amp (or maybe belonged to O). Reason being, that VL-1002 has white lettering (I think it was the earliest models that did) and Tom's, as seen in later photos, has the purple lettering 

Tom may have liked the studio amp so much that's why he bought one.

This is the only plausible timeline I can think of. I direct messaged O on instagram asking if he ever owned one back then.

As far as I understand it, yes the earlier 1002's and 502's showcased all white graphics (1991-92/93) and later units feature the purple graphics (92/93-1995). 

This might be weird input (so just disregard if it doesn't make sense). I’ve never been in a recording studio, but wouldnt the person that recorded it recommend a guitar with a humbucker in it? Isn't that like the common agreement, that humbuckers handle distortion better? I just feel like they would have lent him one, or he might have just used the white strat. 

10 hours ago, Burgersandcole said:

This might be weird input (so just disregard if it doesn't make sense). I’ve never been in a recording studio, but wouldnt the person that recorded it recommend a guitar with a humbucker in it? Isn't that like the common agreement, that humbuckers handle distortion better? I just feel like they would have lent him one, or he might have just used the white strat. 

nothing true to that.