Jawbreaker > Oasis > The Beatles

_Bagel

In the same way that we have a Lagwagon thread, I just wanted something that celebrates the greatness of Jawbreaker. I think we did Blake and co proud, lets keep the love train going. I know their OG run was a bit early, so I'm not sure if any one has cool road stories from then or their more recent reunion stuff. Please share your thoughts, fave songs/records, love affair with Blake, memories/people tied to specific tracks etc.

Like many of these bands, I discovered them through Blink. In an old interview, Mark said he believed Blake's lyrics should be studied at Universities across the land. I agree - funnily enough, Blake (lead singer) actually ended up becoming a lecturer for a while.

For me, I've got to thank Jawbreaker for getting me into Jack Kerouac.  Here's a song :

19 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

My favorite song of theirs by a mile

Good choice sir. A lot of 5+ minute songs fail to hold my attention, that doesn't apply to any Jawbreaker tune though

• Like 1

I got to see them on their 2019 reunion tour in Philly at the Franklin Music Hall for my 18th birthday. One of their roadies gave me Chris' setlist. Honestly I can't put the experience to words, it was that great.

I got into Jawbreaker through Banner Pilot and Green Day; Billie Joe had a Jawbreaker sticker on Blue for a good while in the 90's and Banner Pilot always named them as a big influence and it shows through their music. 

All three of the guys in the band have been influences on me, musically or otherwise. Blake's lyrical technique is very literal in a lot of ways and when I read back on the things I've written I can see the parallel. He's also inspired me to read a lot more by the authors he references (e.g. Kerouac). Chris showed me that you can add chords to bass lines and write parts that counter the guitar parts. Adam's one of my favorite drummers, I found out later that he and I use the same drumsticks (Promark Oak 747B Wood Tip). As whole, Jawbreaker taught me (along with many bands) that you can add a dash of complexity to punk and still be catchy.

If you haven't already, check out the movie about them titled 'Don't Break Down' that came out a few years ago; it's on Amazon Prime. I'm not ashamed to admit I've watched it more times than I can count. It's that good.

Some of my favorite songs by them (this isn't nearly all of them). Their discog is perfect.

My favorite hardcore band, Kill Your Idols, does a great cover of 'Do You Still Hate Me?' on the tribute album 'Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault'. It rips so hard.

• Love 2

16 minutes ago, Q182 said:

I got to see them on their 2019 reunion tour in Philly at the Franklin Music Hall for my 18th birthday. One of their roadies gave me Chris' setlist. Honestly I can't put the experience to words, it was that great.

I got into Jawbreaker through Banner Pilot and Green Day; Billie Joe had a Jawbreaker sticker on Blue for a good while in the 90's and Banner Pilot always named them as a big influence and it shows through their music. 

All three of the guys in the band have been influences on me, musically or otherwise. Blake's lyrical technique is very literal in a lot of ways and when I read back on the things I've written I can see the parallel. He's also inspired me to read a lot more by the authors he references (e.g. Kerouac). Chris showed me that you can add chords to bass lines and write parts that counter the guitar parts. Adam's one of my favorite drummers, I found out later that he and I use the same drumsticks (Promark Oak 747B Wood Tip). As whole, Jawbreaker taught me (along with many bands) that you can add a dash of complexity to punk and still be catchy.

If you haven't already, check out the movie about them titled 'Don't Break Down' that came out a few years ago; it's on Amazon Prime. I'm not ashamed to admit I've watched it more times than I can count. It's that good.

Wow, that's a hell of an 18th! Also, you must be the youngster of the board! Congrats on your youth, I'm now jealous.

Never heard of Banner Pilot, will have to check them out if they're of a similar vibe.

Glad you got some Kerouac out of Blake too. Yeah, the contrast between Chris and Blake with their instrumentation and personalities give the band its distinct character. The bass becomes a lead at times on some JB songs, Blake gives Chris the space within his guitar work to find those moments. Adam is a beast and I love that he's pretty much the official Jawbreaker historian too, was always eager to push through the reunion.

Oh yeah, caught that last year. May have to dig my teeth into it again. Cool to see big people within music rightly gush over the band. They'll get the payday they deserve with Riot Fest now and beyond, so I'm happy for them

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Anyone watch the doc about them? It’s great. Dear You is actually my fav record by them.

Seen it many many times. It's a tie between that and Filmage for my favorite music doc.

• Like 1

Hahaha, the other bands section is now in the mud.

@_Kyle_crazy to think how harshly it was viewed at the time. Record is tight, forward thinking and crisp. I think you’re right tho, it’s a toss up between Dear You and 24 Hour for me.

@twentytwentyoasis runs this board. There isn’t anything better than having a PINT screeching Oasis, I’ll be doing that in summer. 

5 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Hahaha, the other bands section is now in the mud.

@_Kyle_crazy to think how harshly it was viewed at the time. Record is tight, forward thinking and crisp. I think you’re right tho, it’s a toss up between Dear You and 24 Hour for me.

I only got into them 10 years after that record so I had zero idea what the political implications of them signing to a major and what kind of expectations they had for them but the songwriting is just immense on that record. I like all their albums but it’s definitely the one that hits just right. I think this may have been after the documentary but did you ever hear about Blake going to prison for a while? 

Chesterfield King is my always my jam, one of the things I love the most about Jawbreaker is the imagery many of their songs of evoke. I can see in my mind's eye exactly what Blake is singing, like when you're reading a book. Isn't that amazing? 

Don't Break Down was so interesting and illuminating. I'm always so intrigued by and drawn to stories of bands who struggle between varying notions of success. Made me grateful to have grown past my young, dumb teen years of resenting traditional success and appreciating art and and letting the humans who make it decide what success looks like on their own terms. 

@_Bagel do you like Jets to Brazil? I think that band really displayed Blake’s range of songwriting abilities. Their songs are so subtle but so intense!

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Chesterfield King is my always my jam, one of the things I love the most about Jawbreaker is the imagery many of their songs of evoke. I can see in my mind's eye exactly what Blake is singing, like when you're reading a book. Isn't that amazing? 

Don't Break Down was so interesting and illuminating. I'm always so intrigued by and drawn to stories of bands who struggle between varying notions of success. Made me grateful to have grown past my young, dumb teen years of resenting traditional success and appreciating art and and letting the humans who make it decide what success looks like on their own terms. 

@_Bagel do you like Jets to Brazil? I think that band really displayed Blake’s range of songwriting abilities. Their songs are so subtle but so intense!

You've hit the nail on the head. He paints a picture so vividly, it just evokes all kinds of images in your mind! What a bop that is. 

That was a great doc.  There was always the sense that Jawbreaker could have been huge - supporting Nirvana, Green Day citing them as a massive influence. I'm glad time looks much more kindly on Dear You now. Playing Riot Fests and other things, I hope they get at least something towards what they deserve. I think a lot of the people that hated the album did the same amount of growing up too. Judging by the way Chris and Blake got along, I guess they were always going to implode at some point.

I've not dipped by toes in Jets, always meant to. Is there a good starting point for them/ any reccomendations? Need me more Blake!

1 hour ago, Depf said:

Latinamerican marching powder + supersonic + rusty beemer = mad lad heaven.

boxcar is jawbreakers rectum opus. their magnus anus. the best poppunk shit that ever penetrated my ear

Rectum opus. God I love you.

Walt Whitman ova here 

• Love 1