Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (10) Rancid vs (23) Paramore

Patient #48273

Battle of the Pop Punk Bands - Round 1 - (10) Rancid vs (23) Paramore  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rancid vs Paramore

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/21 at 08:30 PM

7 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

After Laughter is an incredible depression album.

It shocked me so much. Never cared for Paramore before that record, really liked Hard Times so gave it a spin and there's so much good shit on it. Fake Happy and Idle Worship are amazing. They haven't touched pop punk in years but that last album is brilliant. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

I’ve never really listened to Paramore aside from a few singles that didn’t really stand out to me. What’s a good album to start on? I don’t really like pop music.

After Laughter might be your best bet ... its a bummer of an album.

19 hours ago, Scott. said:

How the fuck are rancid winning this 😂 how are they even in this? This tournament is a joke. They’re not even a pop punk band ffs

This doesn’t exactly scream pop punk either. If a band that releases this can be in than so can Rancid.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't have nominated either, personally, but like @twentytwenty said, it's an interesting match-up because they're about equally pop punk. Paramore is mostly pop and occasionally veers into pop punk territory (especially early on) and Rancid is punk and has a handful of pop punk songs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

I’ve never really listened to Paramore aside from a few singles that didn’t really stand out to me. What’s a good album to start on? I don’t really like pop music.

I think I’d go with Riot. It’s very different from their more current sound but it’s a good album

5 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

This doesn’t exactly scream pop punk either. If a band that releases this can be in than so can Rancid.

Yeah they’ve evolved but for the majority of their career they’ve been pop punk. Rancid at no point have ever been pop punk 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Yeah they’ve evolved but for the majority of their career they’ve been pop punk. Rancid at no point have ever been pop punk 

This song begs to differ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Listened to some Rancid last night. What a band. Even their throwaway songs kick ass.

Yeah, they are mostly punk rock, but still more pop punk than say, Alkaline Trio

When you support Skiba in Blink is it out of genuine admiration for his work in Blink or relief that he doesn't bring much to the table? 

7 minutes ago, thongrider said:

When you support Skiba in Blink is it out of genuine admiration for his work in Blink or relief that he doesn't bring much to the table? 

His work in blink has been great for the most part

4 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Wait, people actually LIKE Paramores recent albums and factored that into their voting? Wow. Those albums absolutely suck and faded them into irrelevance. These are the same people who bash blink everyday, says a lot. 

Irrelevance? I think After Laughter was arguably their most successful and critically acclaimed album. Personally I never even paid attention to them until this album.

"Upon release, After Laughter received critical acclaim from music critics, who praised the band's new sonic direction and the 1980s new wave and synth-pop sound on the album. A dozen publications featured the album in their year-end lists, including Billboard and Rolling Stone. In 2019, Pitchfork listed it at number 169 in their list of best albums of the decade."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Laughter

• Like 2

As far as the divide between "punk" and "pop punk" goes, Rancid were always the best of both worlds. Their choruses were catchy enough to get them on the radio, MTV, and SNL alongside poppier peers like Green Day, but they were also uncompromising enough to cross over into street punk, ska, reggae and hardcore. 

I don't know if I would go with this definition but it really makes sense for Rancid.

• Like 4

Rancid are definitely pop punk. They're just more raw and punk sounding than the likes of ATL, Fall Out Boy, Panic, Paramore etc

Doesn't mean they're not pop punk though. These two songs just have that classic 90's pop punk sound and are just as pop punk as songs like Dammit by blink and Basket Case by Green Day. Amazing songs too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1