TOYPAJ 20th Anniversary

boxelder

though its official birthday arrives this summer, i saw the CC thread and thought it might be a cool idea to celebrate TOYPAJ, which was being finalized and readying for release right about this time TWO DECADES AGO! they announced TOYPAJ and debuted the album cover on 4/18/01 and rock show premiered as an AOL exclusive download on 5/2.

what does everyone here remember about TOYPAJ, its press cycle, tour, videos, appearances — anything! discuss here. have fun! this was a very cool time to be a fan of the band.

• Like 2

I loved them from Enema but this album release really solidified the band for me. I got this album, dude Ranch and Cheshire the same year for Christmas and fell in love with all 3 the same time but this one at that age was my favourite. The older I got, the more dude Ranch rose to the top, but TOYPAJ has always held a special place in my heart. Especially Online Songs, Story Of A Lonely Guy, ST4TK, Every time I Look For You and Please Take Me Home. Its sonically a stand out for me too, Jerry Finn absolutely killed it. 

• Like 5

I was only 6 years at the time, but my older brother would blast it on his stereo all the time. Even though its not my favourite (actually far from it, its in the lower half for me) to me it has a very nostalgic feel to it unlike any of the others. It really is the soundtrack of my teens and high school. 

Also, I think the production is the best of any blink-album. Those guitars... 

• Like 3

The lead up to TOYPAJ is when I first started getting into blink. I'd heard the Enema singles on the radio and liked, but the band wasn't really on my radar. Then I had a friend who updated his MSN messenger with a daily countdown to TOYPAJ as his screen name. This piqued my curiosity and the first song I illegally downloaded was Dammit. I also started listening to some non singles on Enema. Then TOYPAJ came out and it was an explosion of blink interest from that point. Went to a record store and bought Cheshire-Enema used CDs all at once.

To me the TOYPAJ sound is the "classic" blink sound. Bright, summery, catchy pop punk. Probably has a lot to do with why I like California so much. If I had heard Untitled or Neighborhoods first I'm sure I would be a miserable cunt like the rest of you.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

I’ll always correlate the most fun, care free days of my life with this record. I was 14 and had been obsessed with blink from Enema of the State and The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show. TOYPAJ solidified my obsession and fandom for blink. I had just started smoking weed (laughing hysterically each time), and Jackass was just starting to pop off as well. The perfect influence for a young teen and his rebellious friends lol. So much fun was had this summer with this album coming along wherever we went. I also saw my first set of live tits at the TOYPAJ tour so that just made them that much cooler. I’m with Ghent, this shit is classic blink, Self titled and neighborhoods can get in the bin!

• Like 1

i had the enema singles first leading up to this. my parents wouldn't let me get the full album because of the artwork.

when toypaj dropped, it was my first blink CD. all of my friends had it as well. we would play it in our garages while attempting to rollerblade on a mini ramp because we thought that's what we were supposed to do.

i saw blink on pop disaster the summer after and it was my first show.  

it was the best thing ever at the time but as an adult, it seems like too much of an enema rehash. mark has some of his best songs on it but tom has all of his worst. i guess we now know he probably kept his good material for box car racer. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dix said:

This album and it's joke songs were the inspiration to a joke song I wrote about fucking my mom. My parents found my lyric notebook and didn't get the joke at all.

Jesus that sounds awkward lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Jesus that sounds awkward lol

"I'm sorry son, you're a very attractive young man but I'm not interested, because your my own child and that's really fucked up, but also because your a nerdy weirdo and I already know your dad's dick is bigger" 

I mean, that's how I assume the convo went. 

More accurately maybe it was "OH MY LORD MATTHEW, WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!" 

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Kay said:

"I'm sorry son, you're a very attractive young man but I'm not interested, because your my own child and that's really fucked up, but also because your a nerdy weirdo and I already know your dad's dick is bigger" 

More accurately maybe it was "OH MY LORD MATTHEW, WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!" 

03:41 Reminds me of the Story Tom told about the song Transvestite, how his Mom found about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ye. said:

TOYPAJ really is the album that got me into blink. I liked a handful of songs from other albums, but I listened to this one the most at the beginning!

Yeah same, I bought the all the small things cd single after it got played all the time on MTV. After that I really don't think there was any interest in them before this album. 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

It was more so my dad being like "what the fuck is wrong with you, are you retarded?!".

• Haha 2

It’s funny looking back because I vividly remember driving around in high school repeatedly playing First Date like it was the most amazing piece of relatable music ever released. That and Please Take Me Home.

I still like the latter, but Tom ruined First Date for me. I’d probably be nostalgic about it to this day if he hadn’t absolutely shit on it live after the reunion. It ruined it for me. When the guy who wrote it can’t take it seriously over time, it kills the song 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1