TOYPAJ 20th Anniversary

boxelder

16 minutes ago, Kay said:

Rock show has been ruined for me really, sounds like dog shit live now and they've overplayed it to shit. 

I mean, I don't want to drag this discussion down but EVERYTHING sounds like dog shit live now unfortunately haha. I would most likely skip the show if they came to my city. So I guess I'm not really judging the actual present day situation haha

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

I don't think a live performance could ever ruin a song to me, First Date and The Rock Show are just two great songs, no matter how bad Tom sounded on stage nor how many times they were played live. And when I saw blink with Skiba, all the songs from TOYPAJ and Enema sounded so good live, I swear.

• Like 1

I was a blink fan by 99, reallllly into them by 2000, and was beyond hyped for TOYPAJ as Rock Show was in full swing. by that point I was illegally downloading non enema songs and that was really a gateway into them overtaking Green Day or Nirvana as my favorite band. (sorry weezer, maybe if that supposed 4th album your working on outdoes Green, we can talk) I however couldn't actually get the record until early Aug as I was merely 13 and couldn't just drive to get it. well, i could procure an edited copy, but yeah, that wasn't ideal. so i held out until I got the chance to go to Target (they wanted you to hear the curse words) and I was super peeved I didn't buy the bonus track version because I didn't just check the damn thing to make sure it was one of those. i later just downloaded the bonus tracks off napster (which made the record seem like a behemoth if you included everything).  so that record really was my summer record and I listened to it every day for about a month taking breaks eventually and cycling through Enema, Strikes Back, and my load of various mp3s. i would then go from TOYPAJ to Dude Ranch, which wasn't quite as impactful as I had heard 2/5ths of that record already from just downloading random songs.

in the meantime, I would often cruise the internets for blink fan pages and eventually even made my own (angelfire baby). that was also when the fandom was very vibrant and well, stupid. people would say Tom is quitting (heh) or that Mark was sad again and would be getting divorced and thus blink might be over (or something equally inane). the rumor mill was flowing and people would talk about this mysterious former drummer that left under dubious circumstances. it was all a lot of fun to read blink "quotes" and learn about random trivia about them. also it was fun to dunk on "real" punks who wanted to talk shit about them or sum 41. you know punks, the guys who go onto blink182 websites to boast about real punk diy ethics. those guys. also, outside of looking up paul is dead shit or the cobain didn't kill himself theories, blink was a great band to invest actual fandom and cult-like devotion in. they also had good side projects coming out the following year. I wouldn't really be a teenager until next year so this was my last gasp of being a kid. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

For those of you who bought the album soon after it was released, which version did you get?

I got the pants version.

The first one I bought was the pants ... brought it home and the CD was cracked in half. I returned it to the store and got a different copy, that one was the jacket.

Rock Show is so underrated, it's just that damn intro that gets a bit annoying the zillionth time live, if they just mixed it up a bit or tried some more risks at their show it'd be vintage again.  I think they had a pretty cool breakdown one time with Tom.  Anything prime blink outside of like Wendy clear is so dull with Matt imo, I much prefer they play Cali on or less played songs when live but that will never happen.

21 minutes ago, TOYPA Krampus 182 said:

Rock Show is so underrated, it's just that damn intro that gets a bit annoying the zillionth time live, if they just mixed it up a bit or tried some more risks at their show it'd be vintage again.  I think they had a pretty cool breakdown one time with Tom.  Anything prime blink outside of like Wendy clear is so dull with Matt imo, I much prefer they play Cali on or less played songs when live but that will never happen.

Yeah, I don't think a song that charted on Billboards can be considered underrated, Jan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TOYPA meet Krampus said:

Rock Show is underrated, on here, I felt that was fairly obvious considering it's one of their popular singles outside of it.

You're not very good with words, are you, little guy?

2 hours ago, TOYPA meet Krampus said:

Rock Show is underrated, on here, I felt that was fairly obvious considering it's one of their popular singles outside of it.

You Mean that the Song Is still great regardless of how popular it is and how people in here think otherwise, right?

11 minutes ago, Brannigan said:

You Mean that the Song Is still great regardless of how popular it is and how people in here think otherwise, right?

Yes... It's not super loved by any means on here, hence saying it's underrated here, probably because it got so popular. The intro riff gets a little annoying to me but it's a great song through and through.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TOYPA meet Krampus said:

Yes... It's not super loved by any means on here, hence saying it's underrated here, probably because it got so popular. The intro riff gets a little annoying to me but it's a great song through and through.

Yeah, I think you mean Under-appreciated. Underrated just means something that doesn't get enough recognition or credit than it should, or something along those lines.

3 hours ago, Brannigan said:

Yeah, I think you mean Under-appreciated. Underrated just means something that doesn't get enough recognition or credit than it should, or something along those lines.

No, I mean underrated.  It's underrated on here.  First Date gets more credit to their legacy, Rock Show was that jam.

• Crab 1

1 minute ago, TOYPA meet Krampus said:

No, I mean underrated.  It's underrated on here.  First Date gets more credit to their legacy, Rock Show was that jam.

Last year in the election polls First Date came 14th while The Rock Show came 7th. Also coming 7th out of the 19 songs on TOYPAJ is pretty decent. Wouldn’t call that underrated.

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Last year in the election polls First Date came 14th while The Rock Show came 7th. Also coming 7th out of the 19 songs on TOYPAJ is pretty decent. Wouldn’t call that underrated.

Yeah polls can go a lot of ways, Patient was in charge of the seeding, she knows what she's doing to mess with us.