TOYPAJ 20th Anniversary

boxelder

I really don’t blame Tom at all (shock - Tombot ) . At his age playing that song, I’d feel the same. The video is great but the song sucks. Especially as they wrote it just to appease the label. Playing that during an Untitled show kills the vibe - squeal like a pig throughout it Thomas, do as you feel 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

I really don’t blame Tom at all (shock - Tombot ) . At his age playing that song, I’d feel the same. The video is great but the song sucks. Especially as they wrote it just to appease the label. Playing that during an Untitled show kills the vibe - squeal like a pig throughout it Thomas, do as you feel 

My sentiment exactly. How can you blame him. The songs lame as fuck and he knows it. They should have just cut it from their playlist. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…it’s not gonna kill blink or their bottom end if they cut a lame single or 2 or 3 from their predictable and boring set list 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I want to say something like that also happened at their BlizzCon show when they randomly played First Date in the middle of their untitled album set. I’d have to find it again but I remember thinking it was funny.

I don't remember that one off the top of my head. I'll have to listen to blizzcon's show one of these days.

8 hours ago, Johnny Two Bags said:

My sentiment exactly. How can you blame him. The songs lame as fuck and he knows it. They should have just cut it from their playlist. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…it’s not gonna kill blink or their bottom end if they cut a lame single or 2 or 3 from their predictable and boring set list 

Exactly ! At least he’s up front about it . You think if 1/3 of you don’t wanna play the song, you might look to switching it up. Swap for a deep cut, would make a stale set list elevated. Fuck the casuals, they have ATST and I Miss You already.

• Like 1

first date hate is overrated. it’s a classic blink tune with an iconic intro, killer bridge, that manages to be  sentimental without being cloying. it’s no different than the beatles’ i wanna hold your hand. if blink had kept writing songs like that — “our trip to the movies”, “high school graduation”, “learning to drive” — that might’ve been pretty weird. still, it’s a pretty isolated moment, and the hate is misplaced. i think a lot of people got older and resented it because tom openly resented it. but there’s nothing wrong with it. it’s great.

• Like 5

i think if you hate first date, you might as well hate the majority of this record. all of tom's songs on this one are about being a teenager.

for that reason, i find it hard to go back and listen to. wasn't he at least 25 years old at the time? i know that's still young but so far off from thinking and feeling like a 16 year old. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, boxelder said:

first date hate is overrated. it’s a classic blink tune with an iconic intro, killer bridge, that manages to be  sentimental without being cloying. it’s no different than the beatles’ i wanna hold your hand. if blink had kept writing songs like that — “our trip to the movies”, “high school graduation”, “learning to drive” — that might’ve been pretty weird. still, it’s a pretty isolated moment, and the hate is misplaced. i think a lot of people got older and resented it because tom openly resented it. but there’s nothing wrong with it. it’s great.

I like Reckless Abandon way less. 

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

1 minute ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i think if you hate first date, you might as well hate the majority of this record. all of tom's songs on this one are about being a teenager.

for that reason, i find it hard to go back and listen to. wasn't he at least 25 years old at the time? i know that's still young but so far off from thinking and feeling like a 16 year old. 

In fact, it's the only Tom song that doesn't reference being a teenager. That and Please Take Me Home.

Found it!

Tom: *looks down at Untitled Anniversary setlist and sees First Date in the middle* oh you fucker! You snuck this on, you son of a bitch!

Mark: I e-mailed the setlist to you last night shithead!

Tom: I don't read your e-mails! Doug! How did you let this fucking pass?

26:13 in this video

LOL I miss the banter, even the more awkward post-reunion banter.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, boxelder said:

Agree so much. First date is great. It’s fun as fuck. Immature lyrics? Sure. But you’re listening to blink-182 that’s kind of a given for  at the minimum 75% of the songs released when it came out. I like having fun and First date is a shit ton of fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patient #48273 said:

So, if you guys are interested, this would be my suggested seeding...

Reveal hidden contents

I Miss You

All The Small Things

First Date

Adam's Song

Always

What's My Age Again

Stay Together For The Kids

The Rock Show

Dammit

Feeling This

Down

After Midnight

Josie

Bored to Death

Not Now

Up All Night

Man Overboard

When Your Heart Stops Beating

The Adventure

She's Out of Her Mind

There Is

Darkside

I Feel So

Everything's Magic

Anthem Part Two

Heart's All Gone

Secret Crowds

M+M's

Diamonds & Guns

Surrender

Do it For Me Now

Breathe

I wanted to include 32 videos, so I added some videos from various side projects (and excluded a few blink videos with very few views). The seeding is based on Youtube views. That's far from perfect, especially for the videos that were released quite recently and the videos that were released long before Youtube existed, but it's a pretty easy metric to use. That said, I'd be happy to swap some of the lower-ranked videos out if there are some popular suggestions.

Do it!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:18 PM, boxelder said:

Eh. The context and manner in which they were pretty much forced to write Rock Show and First Date has an influence over my feelings towards them as well. Both have great videos, but I don’t listen to either of them. I think the set list could be unbelievable if you swapped those out for deep cuts, TOYPAJ deep cuts even. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Eh. The context and manner in which they were pretty much forced to write Rock Show and First Date has an influence over my feelings towards them as well. Both have great videos, but I don’t listen to either of them. I think the set list could be unbelievable if you swapped those out for deep cuts, TOYPAJ deep cuts even. 

I agree. I think Rock Show stands up way better over time and works great as a setlist staple. It's nostalgic and purposely simple and fun, which they were both meant to be, but First Date is just SOOOO nursery-rhymey. The riff is classic, the music video is possibly the GOAT, but as a song it just feels way more disposable.

• Like 1