First time is the most vintage blink song since Self Titled

Jan Backing Track

6 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Feeling This came out 18 years ago. There have been four Blink albums and an EP since then. You don't have to be so goddamn pedantic about the meaning of the word "vintage" in this case haha.

You’re wrong. It’s still not vintage. It’s from their 5th album, and is not the classic/vintage sound blink is known for. So yes, words matter. When Mark and Feldmann said they were capturing that “classic” blink sound with California, did they mean they were trying to sound like self-titled? Please enlighten me. 

Also: I agree this song is one of the best and most "Blink" feeling of the modern era. It has a lot of that classic Blink flavor that teases and mystifies all of us after all these years! Tons of similarities to the classic era, I would argue it uses some of the modern pop flair really well too.

Skiba's YEAH YEAAAHHH parts are still annoying as shit to me though :(

• Like 3

Just now, Johnny Two Bags said:

You’re wrong. It’s still not vintage. It’s from their 5th album, and is not the classic/vintage sound blink is known for. So yes, words matter. When Mark and Feldmann said they were capturing that “classic” blink sound with California, did they mean they were trying to sound like self-titled? Please enlighten me. 

Oh buzz off

39 minutes ago, Johnny Two Bags said:

Because the definition of vintage includes references to quality, it's going to be somewhat subjective. For some blink fans, that will absolutely include the untitled album. And to most non-fanboy listeners, Feeling This was not a significant  departure for blink. To them, it fits in with the sound blink was known for.

The album number is irrelevant since it came out so long ago and they've released a decent amount of material since then. Vintage doesn't necessarily refer to early output.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Because the definition of vintage includes references to quality, it's going to be somewhat subjective. For some blink fans, that will absolutely include the untitled album. And to most non-fanboy listeners, Feeling This was not a significant  departure for blink. To them, it fits in with the sound blink was known for.

The album number is irrelevant since it came out so long ago and they've released a decent amount of material since then. Vintage doesn't necessarily refer to early output.

I just don’t agree at all. Feeling This is modern blink. Despite it being 18 years ago. Vintage blink is Cheshire Cat through enema at the latest 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Two Bags said:

I just don’t agree at all. Feeling This is modern blink. Despite it being 18 years ago. Vintage blink is Cheshire Cat through enema at the latest 

I'm fine to agree to disagree, I just can't imagine that the average person- and that's who we have to consider, since you brought up the sound blink is "known for"- would choose M+M's over Feeling This as better exemplifying the classic blink sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Two Bags said:

A staple doesn’t mean vintage. Lol that’s literally the bridge that started the new era of blink, the bridge that ended vintage blink. Use your damn head 

Okay, well you're the one saying it sounds like feeling this, not me.

1 hour ago, Rebel Girls United said:

Okay, well you're the one saying it sounds like feeling this, not me.

I never said it sounded like Feeling This you fool. I asked which vintage blink song had 808s in it, and your reply was Feeling This. To which my reply was Feeling This is not vintage blink. I know a guy who can help you with organizing all of the thoughts in your head to form cohesive thoughts and arguments, you should give him a call.

24 minutes ago, Rebel Girls United said:

I never even said it sounds like Feeling This lol

Read my comment below this. I asked you what vintage blink song ever had 808s in it (hint- there are none), and your reply was Feeling This. Quit trying to back track, you need help. 

Feeling This is one of those songs that is very unique. I've never heard a song like it. It was refreshing back in 2003 and it's still refreshing to this day. I consider that song and that album as "recent" blink despite the fact it's almost 20 years old.

The song isn't classic blink but fucking hell, it's the most blink sounding song from the blink camp. It's weird, cause I remember Mark saying in an interview that he wanted listeners to think "wait, this is blink-182?"

I've never heard a band write a song that is so different to everything they've ever done, yet sound like a song that's typical of them. No other band can write a song like Feeling This. I think that's the whole point of this thread.

First Time captures a typical blink sound in a modern way, yet it sounds like something they've never done before. No other band could write First Time. Only blink could (I know they had songwriters, but it's still a blink song). First Time doesn't sound anything like Feeling This except for having a similar drum intro, but it does capture the same essence as Feeling This.

• Like 2