Jump to content
 

Best pop punk song of all time nominations


Shit Poster
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Patient #48273

This was a giant pain in the ass ... I know that you'll appreciate it. I went strictly off the wiki list of pop punk bands which meant most of the bands I thought up didn't make the cut. Here is my list, not necessarily the best songs from these bands but the songs I felt fit the criteria the best.

In no particular order (except alphabetically):

Spoiler

All-American Rejects - Swing, Swing

Blink-182 - What’s My Age Again?

Bracket - Trailer Park

Brand New - Seventy Time Seven

The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve?)

The Copyrights - Stuck in the Fall

The Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl

Descendents - Suburban Home

Face to Face - Disconnected

Green Day - Basketcase

Groovie Ghoulies - Say Goodbye Again

The Hippos - Better Watch Your Back

The Huntingtons - Annie’s Anorexic

Jawbreaker - Sluttering (May 4th)

Lagwagon - Violins

Less Than Jake - Great American Sharpshooter

The Lillingtons - Lillington High

Lustra - Scotty Doesn’t Know

The Manges - Vengeance Is Mine

Mest - Drawing Board

Millencollin - No Cigar

The Mr. T Experience - More Than Toast

The Muffs - Big Mouth

MxPx - Punk Rawk Show

My Chemical Romance - I’m Not Okay

Nerf Herder - Golfshirt

NoFX - Leave It Alone

No Use for a Name - International You Day

The Offspring - The Kids Aren’t Alright

The Presidents of the United States of America - Mixed up S.O.B

Propagandhi - Showdown (G.E./P.)

The Queers - Fuck the World

Ramones - Oh, Oh I love her so

Rancid - Ruby Soho

Relient K - Sadie Hawkins Dance

Screeching Weasel - Hey Suburbia

Smash Mouth - Nervous in the Alley

Sludgeworth - Someday

Sr-71 - Right Now

Sugarcoat - Debbie

Sum 41 - Fat Lip

Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without the ‘E’ (Cut from the Team)

Teenage Bottlerocket - Mini Skirt

The Vandals - My Girlfriend’s Dead

Weezer - Photograph

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Speedo said:

@Patient #48273

This was a giant pain in the ass ... I know that you'll appreciate it. I went strictly off the wiki list of pop punk bands which meant most of the bands I thought up didn't make the cut. Here is my list, not necessarily the best songs from these bands but the songs I felt fit the criteria the best.

In no particular order (except alphabetically):

  Reveal hidden contents

All-American Rejects - Swing, Swing

Blink-182 - What’s My Age Again?

Bracket - Trailer Park

Brand New - Seventy Time Seven

The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve?)

The Copyrights - Stuck in the Fall

The Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl

Descendents - Suburban Home

Face to Face - Disconnected

Green Day - Basketcase

Groovie Ghoulies - Say Goodbye Again

The Hippos - Better Watch Your Back

The Huntingtons - Annie’s Anorexic

Jawbreaker - Sluttering (May 4th)

Lagwagon - Violins

Less Than Jake - Great American Sharpshooter

The Lillingtons - Lillington High

Lustra - Scotty Doesn’t Know

The Manges - Vengeance Is Mine

Mest - Drawing Board

Millencollin - No Cigar

The Mr. T Experience - More Than Toast

The Muffs - Big Mouth

MxPx - Punk Rawk Show

My Chemical Romance - I’m Not Okay

Nerf Herder - Golfshirt

NoFX - Leave It Alone

No Use for a Name - International You Day

The Offspring - The Kids Aren’t Alright

The Presidents of the United States of America - Mixed up S.O.B

Propagandhi - Showdown (G.E./P.)

The Queers - Fuck the World

Ramones - Oh, Oh I love her so

Rancid - Ruby Soho

Relient K - Sadie Hawkins Dance

Screeching Weasel - Hey Suburbia

Smash Mouth - Nervous in the Alley

Sludgeworth - Someday

Sr-71 - Right Now

Sugarcoat - Debbie

Sum 41 - Fat Lip

Taking Back Sunday - Cute Without the ‘E’ (Cut from the Team)

Teenage Bottlerocket - Mini Skirt

The Vandals - My Girlfriend’s Dead

Weezer - Photograph

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

Weren't we supposed to have 10..?

Surprised, not surprised Wiki would have Taking Back Sunday and not Modern Baseball, Front Bottoms or a handful of much more clear pop punk bands than them and MCR. Rancid too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, .437 beats .40 said:

Weren't we supposed to have 10..?

Surprised, not surprised Wiki would have Taking Back Sunday and not Modern Baseball, Front Bottoms or a handful of much more clear pop punk bands than them and MCR. Rancid too?

It wasn’t a set rule, no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the final list. I'll get the bracket started later this morning.

  1. Basket Case - Green Day
  2. What's My Age Again - blink-182
  3. Dammit - blink-182
  4. Ocean Avenue - Yellowcard
  5. Fat Lip - Sum 41
  6. Cute Without The 'E' - Taking Back Sunday
  7. The Kids Aren't Alright - The Offspring
  8. My Friends Over You - New Found Glory
  9. Seventy Times 7 - Brand New
  10. In Too Deep - Sum 41
  11. May 16 - Lagwagon
  12. Sweetness - Jimmy Eat World
  13. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen
  14. Manthem - Bouncing Souls
  15. Shoulder to the Wheel - Saves the Day
  16. The Best of Me - The Starting Line
  17. Right Now - SR-71
  18. Feeling This - blink-182
  19. The Girl Next Door - Screeching Weasel
  20. Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
  21. My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
  22. Superman - Goldfinger
  23. I'm Not Okay - My Chemical Romance
  24. Sugar, We're Goin Down - Fall Out Boy
  25. Suburban Home - Descendents
  26. I'd Do Anything - Simple Plan
  27. Ruby Soho - Rancid
  28. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
  29. Linoleum - NOFX
  30. Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne
  31. Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
  32. Tickets to My Downfall - Machine Gun Kelly
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Here's the final list. I'll get the bracket started later this morning.

  1. Basket Case - Green Day
  2. What's My Age Again - blink-182
  3. Dammit - blink-182
  4. Ocean Avenue - Yellowcard
  5. Fat Lip - Sum 41
  6. Cute Without The 'E' - Taking Back Sunday
  7. The Kids Aren't Alright - The Offspring
  8. My Friends Over You - New Found Glory
  9. Seventy Times 7 - Brand New
  10. In Too Deep - Sum 41
  11. May 16 - Lagwagon
  12. Sweetness - Jimmy Eat World
  13. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen
  14. Manthem - Bouncing Souls
  15. Shoulder to the Wheel - Saves the Day
  16. The Best of Me - The Starting Line
  17. Right Now - SR-71
  18. Feeling This - blink-182
  19. The Girl Next Door - Screeching Weasel
  20. Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
  21. My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
  22. Superman - Goldfinger
  23. I'm Not Okay - My Chemical Romance
  24. Sugar, We're Goin Down - Fall Out Boy
  25. Suburban Home - Descendents
  26. I'd Do Anything - Simple Plan
  27. Ruby Soho - Rancid
  28. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
  29. Linoleum - NOFX
  30. Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne
  31. Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
  32. Tickets to My Downfall - Machine Gun Kelly

Sexy list. Depends whether people lean more POP or PUNK. I mean it probably is Basket Case, but May 16th is one of the tightest, well-made songs in that list. Linoleum too. Fuck Fat Mike, crazy song though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's for lulz, Kay. That song is going up against Basket Case in the first round.

Never thought I'd be happy for Green Day to slam dunk win something!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kay said:

Can't believe MGK is on there. Disgusting. 

 

4 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's for lulz, Kay. That song is going up against Basket Case in the first round.

Honestly, it's not fully for the lulz.  Yes, it's funny considering it's MGK and what he did to Diddy's girlfriend, and his overall state of nothingness in pop punk that will continue assumingly, but there was a time that he was literally the best thing in pop punk for like 3 months or whatever.  Tickets to my Downfall is legit the best thing out of nowhere that actually encaptured the 2000s sound better than anyone and the best 'homage' 'tribute' whatever you want to call it we've really had.  Which isn't saying much, but he deserves his place as the only reviver of pop punk in the 2020s that's relevant/popular.

I got you MGK.

 

That said, not in the ballpark of Basket Case.  

  • Crab 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Sexy list. Depends whether people lean more POP or PUNK. I mean it probably is Basket Case, but May 16th is one of the tightest, well-made songs in that list. Linoleum too. Fuck Fat Mike, crazy song though 

It makes for a good playlist, honestly.  We should publish this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, .437 beats .40 said:

 

Honestly, it's not fully for the lulz.  Yes, it's funny considering it's MGK and what he did to Diddy's girlfriend, and his overall state of nothingness in pop punk that will continue assumingly, but there was a time that he was literally the best thing in pop punk for like 3 months or whatever.  Tickets to my Downfall is legit the best thing out of nowhere that actually encaptured the 2000s sound better than anyone and the best 'homage' 'tribute' whatever you want to call it we've really had.  Which isn't saying much, but he deserves his place as the only reviver of pop punk in the 2020s that's relevant/popular.

I got you MGK.

Tried to hard

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outside of like 3 tracks, I've never even heard of these songs and I love pop punk. How is there no Sum 41, Offspring, Alkaline Trio etc?

Hell, don't like Simple Plan or Paramore or anything but even those bands have at least one great song.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Outside of like 3 tracks, I've never even heard of these songs and I love pop punk. How is there no Sum 41, Offspring, Alkaline Trio etc?

Hell, don't like Simple Plan or Paramore or anything but even those bands have at least one great song.

Sum 41, Offspring and Simple Plan are all on there. Sum 41 actually has two songs on the list, both in the top ten.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Outside of like 3 tracks, I've never even heard of these songs and I love pop punk. How is there no Sum 41, Offspring, Alkaline Trio etc?

Hell, don't like Simple Plan or Paramore or anything but even those bands have at least one great song.

Who the fuck haven’t you heard of from that list?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, .437 beats .40 said:

 

Honestly, it's not fully for the lulz.  Yes, it's funny considering it's MGK and what he did to Diddy's girlfriend, and his overall state of nothingness in pop punk that will continue assumingly, but there was a time that he was literally the best thing in pop punk for like 3 months or whatever.  Tickets to my Downfall is legit the best thing out of nowhere that actually encaptured the 2000s sound better than anyone and the best 'homage' 'tribute' whatever you want to call it we've really had.  Which isn't saying much, but he deserves his place as the only reviver of pop punk in the 2020s that's relevant/popular.

I got you MGK.

 

That said, not in the ballpark of Basket Case.  

Admitting TTMD is good is bold of you around these parts.  One day everyone will come to terms with this fact, some quicker than others.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Crab 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...