Is No It Isn't the best song written by any of the band members since the 2004 breakup?

Meltdown Tracker

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

C#-A-E-B. with variation, and across keys, it's pretty standard for BR. off the top of my head, "profane rights of man," "don't sell me short." and "truth north."

common for the offspring too, actually.

**Rick Beato has entered the discussion**

2 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

**Rick Beato has entered the discussion**

yes, like him, it's the curse of being an ear musician. sometimes it gets in the way of enjoying the music tbh. i'll hear a tune and go okay that's seven other songs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Depf said:

come on guys, that chord progression has been used tons of times.

i can't think of any other bands in the genre that have used it repeatedly, other than BR and the offspring. it was an odd turn for blink because it's a darker minor set. but for "darkside" i'm sure skiba was like, yea this works.

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i can't think of any other bands in the genre that have used it repeatedly, other than BR and the offspring. it was an odd turn for blink because it's a darker minor set. but for "darkside" i'm sure skiba was like, yea this works.

It's one of the most common chord progressions in pop music tbf, it's just the same progression that blink have been using a lot too, only that they start at the minor chord instead of the root. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

C#-A-E-B. with variation, and across keys, it's pretty standard for BR. off the top of my head, "profane rights of man," "don't sell me short." and "truth north."

common for the offspring too, actually.

The C# and B are both minor chords in that progression I presume. I've never written a song in this progression. Maybe I will now. 

48 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

It's one of the most common chord progressions in pop music tbf, it's just the same progression that blink have been using a lot too, only that they start at the minor chord instead of the root. 

i realize that it's not the proper distinction, but i count every chord run as a separate "progression" based on where it starts. they are different "patterns" to me if that makes sense.

disclaimer: i have taken no theory, and have not read sheet music in like thirty-five years.

4 hours ago, Depf said:

come on guys, that chord progression has been used tons of times. cant call dibs on that.

but i do like the idea that when i wanna hear social distortion and eiffel 65 i just have to put on darkside and blame it on my youth.

Eiffel 65 😂😂😂 god damnit you kill me lol

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i realize that it's not the proper distinction, but i count every chord run as a separate "progression" based on where it starts. they are different "patterns" to me if that makes sense.

disclaimer: i have taken no theory, and have not read sheet music in like thirty-five years.

I think it's also the same one as El Lay by NOFX 

23 hours ago, thongrider said:

I think it's also the same one as El Lay by NOFX 

similar. that's a stair step kind of thing. or descending, depending if you start low or high. again, i have all my own silly names and visuals for all these patterns. in the case of "el lay" it's A-F-C-G. if played in the same key, the third chord would be a high one. in "darkside" the E is low.

I doubt I’d even remember No It Isn’t if it wasn’t for the blatant lyrical references. I like the song, but Tom, and especially blink, have written many songs better than that one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

I doubt I’d even remember No It Isn’t if it wasn’t for the blatant lyrical references. I like the song, but Tom, and especially blink, have written many songs better than that one.

Agreed. It's not even the best song on the +44 album.  I love every track on that album, but I wouldn't even put No It Isn't in the top 5 on that album.