Phase 2: Blink-182online Mark Charity Drive

Ghent

2 minutes ago, Depf said:

Fookin A.

How bout every contributor gets to attach a tiny message? Would make it a bit sweeter if he got to read a couple of short lines from us

225 characters is all it lets you do on his donation thing. I could link him somewhere though?

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

If we choose to continue this, which we should, we can find another avenue, or donate direct individually to Mark (send proof of donation to get entered for the prizes and be sure to reference blink online)

Have you decided yet which approach would be best to keep this going until the end of the 30 days?

How do you feel about starting a thread on the blink section where everyone just leaves a little message for him? The messages will have to be short and concise, not a novel, so he can read them if he wants to (and he won't have to go through 8 full pages)

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Have you decided yet which approach would be best to keep this going until the end of the 30 days?

No I haven’t. But I think we could just start posting Mark’s direct link and say post or email us proof of donation of at least $10 (including blink online shoutout!) to be eligible for prizes for the next however many days are left.

Sorry I have to cut the PayPal one after the goal was reached. Kind of a bummer, but it’s silly to let them take that big of a cut AND expose me to taxable income personally that isn’t truly income.

The idea was to bring it all together under blink onlines name, and I think we accomplished that. But we can continue the drive just the same. Still keep a total tally and send the donations referencing the boards.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elisa said:

How do you feel about starting a thread on the blink section where everyone just leaves a little message for him? The messages will have to be short and concise, not a novel, so he can read them if he wants to (and he won't have to go through 8 full pages)

Sounds good to me. Cut any post that isn’t on topic and try to keep the messages short? 

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Sounds good to me. Cut any post that isn’t on topic and try to keep the messages short? 

Yes, twitter length messages should be fine, I'm sure he would appreciate them more than long winded messages. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ghent said:

No I haven’t. But I think we could just start posting Mark’s direct link and say post or email us proof of donation of at least $10 (including blink online shoutout!) to be eligible for prizes for the next however many days are left.

Sorry I have to cut the PayPal one after the goal was reached. Kind of a bummer, but it’s silly to let them take that big of a cut AND expose me to taxable income personally that isn’t truly income.

The idea was to bring it all together under blink onlines name, and I think we accomplished that. But we can continue the drive just the same. Still keep a total tally and send the donations referencing the boards.

Thoughts?

Sure, that makes sense.

Maybe we should come up with a new goal amount and create a graphic to show our progress.

• Like 1

Except for a few people from discord and twitter, it makes sense to end this here because the 95% percent of that money comes from us.

Then we can start a new goal for all the other people who follow our social media accounts, but we won't use Paypal because no one wants personal tax repercussions for Ghent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Depf said:

Well no shit.

I meant make an incentive to make people spend more on it. I only can offer the guitars, don't have any other blink stuff. at all  😕

Coordinate the efforts.

I get that, so if you want to offer the second guitar as an incentive to reach $5k, that's awesome. I don't know if anyone else has more potential prizes they'd be willing to donate if we reach a higher goal though.

Guitars
Enema vinyl
Wood carvings
Whoopee cushions
Poster
AVA prize pack (Kevin's donation)

We're also planning to get some stickers and at least one custom t-shirt printed, but we're waiting to hear back from someone about that.

There are also rumblings about a very special prize that will only appeal to long-time posters, but we're still working out the details for that one too.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Elisa said:

Except for a few people from discord and twitter, it makes sense to end this here because the 95% percent of that money comes from us.

Then we can start a new goal for all the other people who follow our social media accounts, but we won't use Paypal because no one wants personal tax repercussions for Ghent.

And it’s not just the tax stuff, PayPal is skimming quite a bit of money. Right now we’re at $1,615 but here is a screenshot of what the actual total after their sketch fees.

73611B79-7307-41D1-B244-7DBE7B347B46.jpeg

• Wow 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Elisa said:

Definitely. And it’s not all about taxes. PayPal is taking an unfair cut imo. I am going to cover it on the donation, but if it got much bigger I wouldn’t be able to. It just blew up and happened way faster than I expected. Which is awesome! But it’s my fault for choosing the bastards, but I thought since it was a charitable donation it wouldn’t be subjected to the bs fees and taxes. I was wrong. Lesson learned, but we still did an amazing job and we don’t have to stop here.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ghent said:

So behind the scenes, PayPal has ended up being an awful choice for this. First off, they are skimming cuts off the donations. I guess this is even standard practice for GoFundMe, but it's lame.

Second, if the donation total gets too high or over 200 people donate, it exposes me to taxes where I have to claim it as personal income. I'm assuming this could fuck me pretty hard if I was unlucky with tax brackets and whatnot.

So- what I'm going to do is cover personally what PayPal has skimmed with fees. I'll donate it all to Mark with a nice message from blink online.

If we choose to continue this, which we should, we can find another avenue, or donate direct individually to Mark (send proof of donation to get entered for the prizes and be sure to reference blink online)

So bottom line, I am going to end this at $1500 and donate it. But I don't want that to kill the whole thing. I never thought we'd actually reach $1,500 so none of this crossed my mind.

the easiest way to donate to CHLA in mark's name (skim and tax free) is via the streamlabs tip jar attached to his twitch:

https://streamlabs.com/markhoppus/tip

sorry it slipped my mind earlier!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, daveyjones said:

the easiest way to donate to CHLA in mark's name (skim and tax free) is via the streamlabs tip jar attached to his twitch:

https://streamlabs.com/markhoppus/tip

sorry it slipped my mind earlier!

This is where the pot is going. Only reason we did a lump sum was psychological. It's nice seeing $$ add up collectively. Doubt we would have gotten anywhere near what we did otherwise. We'll shift to individual donations to this link next and keep a tally here.

• Like 4