Phase 2: Blink-182online Mark Charity Drive

Ghent

just some insight into the type of lymphoma Mark appears to have based on a Reddit comment:

I just underwent treatment for a rare lymphoma. I’m now at 7 months remission.

Stage 4: means it has spread to other parts of the body and not isolated to just one quadrant. My guess is he has it in his lower body somewhere as well, possibly his bone marrow.

A: means he didn’t really show additional signs like night sweats, fatigue, or weight loss, making it harder to identify and diagnose.

Median age of his diagnosis is ~70

Given he is younger, he probably has around a 60-70+% survival rate of 5+ years. They rate survival at “5 years” because other factors aside from the cancer diagnosis could lead to death and “skew” the #s, don’t be afraid of the OS range.

I bet the test he’s waiting on is a bone marrow biopsy. Stage 4, there’s a chance it has spread to his marrow…

Stay strong Mark.

Edit: Some additional context I made further in the thread.

Mark has the potential to be “cured” and live cancer free, yes. He has a 60-70+% chance of reaching remission (from this cancer) and living a long life.

Going through chemo and treatment, there is a high chance of developing other cancers down the line because chemotherapy causes damage to the organs. Chemo itself can lead to cancer, but when you’re faced with the decision of dying from cancer NOW, or taking chemotherapy and getting another cancer later, the choice is to do the chemotherapy.

Also statistically: the longer you live the more likely you will develop cancer in your life. It’s kind of like saying, “the more you drive a car, the more likely you’ll be in a car accident.”

So that’s why the OS (overall survival) # is within a 5 year period. They only really count for those 5 years. After 5 years, if you get cancer, that’s more or less a “new” diagnosis

• Like 4

I just want to add that my Uncle Jack was diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer over 10 years ago. I’ll have to ask what kind it was specifically because I forget the actual name. But he was given months to live 10 years ago. He’s still doing alive and well, in fact I just golfed with him yesterday. And he’s at least 20 years older than Mark. Let’s remain positive for Mark, he’s gonna beat this too. ❤️

• Like 5

I had a skin biopsy last week and I got the results without doctor analysis / call yet and it seems like it’s potentially precancerous but not any cause for alarm. At least I think based on my knowledge of melanoma, hopefully I’m reading it right. Anyways my point is just that this made it very real for the stress involved to finding out you have metastasized cancer and the stress for me is just finding out I’m good to go and the biopsy covered it all and it’s still anxiety provoking. I just can’t imagine for Mark. I also can’t imagine the high finding out you’re good after you’ve been in a metastasized stage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So Mark posted that he's in for another round of chemo. That seems to suggest he got good news and the chemo is working right?

He'd be getting it regardless, even if he went into remission. 

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

He'd be getting it regardless, even if he went into remission. 

I thought his last big test was to determine whether chemo was working and he should keep getting it, or if he needed a bone marrow transplant instead?

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I thought his last big test was to determine whether chemo was working and he should keep getting it, or if he needed a bone marrow transplant instead?

I'm not 100% but I believe chemo is used in conjunction with bone marrow transplants. 

I saw a recording of one of his twitch streams the other night and if my memory serves me right he said that the test will show whether that a) the chemo is working well so he will need to do another 3 sessions b) it’s kind of working and they’ll have to continue the chemo hoping that it works better the next few times or c) it’s not working and they’ll have to look for other ways to tackle it.

So I think him doing another round of chemo means that it’s at least looks like it’s working. I’ll see if I can find the video.

I wanted to wait until my Strat got missed out the way I wanted to start doing covers, but in lieu of the recent news with Mark, wanted to dedicate one to him. Eventually I’d like to start making better recording, but for now it’s just me, my Strat, cheap vox, and an iPhone. “I wish it didn’t have to be so bad.”