New blink album, Tom returning?

Ghent

11 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i don't give a shit if ilan writes music for ava because he's in the band. nor do i care if his brother lays down some keyboard i don't even hear in the mix. what they are helping tom create sounds awesome.

what feldmann and his friends do for blink sucks ass. if it was actually good music and not a rehash of everything else he puts his name on, i probably wouldn't care. 

that's the difference.  

I don't give a shit about the things I like but I definitely give a shit about the things I don't like!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Depf said:

No. And No. And idc/idk what a yellawolf is. DED is a disjointed mess after track 2.

I am really confused by your post as well. At least I have the "it's 4.30 A.M. excuse" going for me being a tad unguarded here🤷‍♂️

No problem sir. Carry on. Just trying to lighten the mood.

I was merely implying if Tom owes you money for DED, you'd (jokingly) have a chance in court cuz of Yellawolf, but that is Travis's fault more than Tom's.

I work 2 jobs and get 4-6 hours of sleep, so every moment feels like 4am for me.

Sorry about the bad joke.

3 hours ago, Depf said:

Dude, we're all having fun here . If I'm too stupid to get a joke doesn't mean it's a  bad one. If i had to apologize for every one of my bad ones I would have my plate full, and wouldnt have made the couple of three friends I have here.

🍻

(fyi , the Tom owes me money thing goes back to summer 06 when I saw AVA and felt like my childhood got kicked in the balls. It was a mumble rap concert with lots of delay)

Hahaha oh fuck i'll report how the AVA Chicago Oct show is this year. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint the kid too much after growing up on MTTS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cum said:

It's not that it's ok, it's just more expected. 

Why though? Don’t a lot of the criticisms about blink using songwriters now come from the fact they never did before with Tom? Why’s it now expected Tom would do that but not okay for Mark?

Btw my comment wasn’t directed at what you said, more at the Kevin’s and general comments seen around.

26 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Why though? Don’t a lot of the criticisms about blink using songwriters now come from the fact they never did before with Tom? Why’s it now expected Tom would do that but not okay for Mark?

Btw my comment wasn’t directed at what you said, more at the Kevin’s and general comments seen around.

I think because people associated Blink with Tom as pre-reunion where their music was good and had no outside influences aside from Finn. And then they did write all of their songs in Neighborhoods/DED (although Tom clearly had mailed it in a bit by then in terms of not spending much time collaborating).

Maybe it's because Tom has been more transparent about it? Like he's said music isn't really his main focus anymore so it's more understandable that he has people helping out more. I agree though, the double standard is questionable. Although didn't Blink have like 5-10 people help write songs for NINE? That's not really comparable to Tom's situation. 

2 hours ago, Cum said:

Maybe it's because Tom has been more transparent about it? Like he's said music isn't really his main focus anymore so it's more understandable that he has people helping out more. I agree though, the double standard is questionable. Although didn't Blink have like 5-10 people help write songs for NINE? That's not really comparable to Tom's situation. 

Mark and Travis are pretty transparent about using songwriters. I know that’s a bit different to Tom being open about not caring about music as much but Mark and Travis seem pretty open about what they want from blink at the moment which includes using songwriters. There were definitely more with Nine but people still took issue with it mainly being just Feldy on Cali too( although it is obvious he did A LOT more than what Aaron has done).

It is just interesting to discuss the double standard. Still seems like the “it’s okay when Tom does it” cop out pops up quite a bit with people having to find ways to justify why it doesn’t bother them. Honestly it seems to me it’s what Jarjar said about Kevin’s post being the actual answer which is if you like the music it doesn’t bother you. A lot of people don’t like the new blink music so they shit on them for using songwriters but like the new Tom stuff so it doesn’t really matter if he gets some help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Mark and Travis are pretty transparent about using songwriters. I know that’s a bit different to Tom being open about not caring about music as much but Mark and Travis seem pretty open about what they want from blink at the moment which includes using songwriters. There were definitely more with Nine but people still took issue with it mainly being just Feldy on Cali too( although it is obvious he did A LOT more than what Aaron has done).

It is just interesting to discuss the double standard. Still seems like the “it’s okay when Tom does it” cop out pops up quite a bit with people having to find ways to justify why it doesn’t bother them. Honestly it seems to me it’s what Jarjar said about Kevin’s post being the actual answer which is if you like the music it doesn’t bother you. A lot of people don’t like the new blink music so they shit on them for using songwriters but like the new Tom stuff so it doesn’t really matter if he gets some help. 

Except Tom isn't hiring songwriters. He has a drummer who he writes songs with. it's obviously not the same, it isn't about a double standard. 

I really want Skiba to have more involvement in blinks songwriting. He's not Mark or Travis, but if Skiba was doing his fair share of songwriting and not how ever many people they hire to do it, I'd have no issue. 

• Like 5

Double standard: I think the difference is that those who love this new version of blink get defensive and put Tom using songwriters with AVA on the same level of blink using songwriters, without thinking that everyone here loves blink and their legacy more than AVA. Blink always wrote their songs by themselves so people are disappointed by the fact that now they need the help of 5 more people just to write a song. They even have Skiba, who is a fantastic songwriter, and they've never used his abilities to the fullest.

I'm sure everyone would be as upset as they are now if blink with Tom had songwriters for hire, but they're not too bothered about AVA because AVA is a different band, it's not blink.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Kay said:

Except Tom isn't hiring songwriters. He has a drummer who he writes songs with. it's obviously not the same, it isn't about a double standard. 

I wasn’t referring to Ilan at all. He’s in the band. I was referring to his brother, the bands producer being listed as a co-writer on tracks. Same as Feldman. Are his contributions the same? I’d say most definitely not but they still exist enough to be credited and therefore relevant to this discussion.

As I said many people had an issue with Feldman being listed as a co-writer on each track on California, it didn’t just start when Nine came out, but Aaron being listed on every song released so far is fine. Hard not to see that as a double standard. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I wasn’t referring to Ilan at all. He’s in the band. I was referring to his brother, the bands producer being listed as a co-writer on tracks. Same as Feldman. Are his contributions the same? I’d say most definitely not but they still exist enough to be credited and therefore relevant to this discussion.

As I said many people had an issue with Feldman being listed as a co-writer on each track on California, it didn’t just start when Nine came out, but Aaron being listed on every song released so far is fine. Hard not to see that as a double standard. 

Because basically all modern producers get songwriting credits these days for very minor suggestions or changes, purely to ensure they get a better cut of royalties. 

The difference between Aaron and Feldmann is that they've repeatedly talked about how much of the songwriting feldmann undertook for them, while Aaron's writing has never been discussed or shown at all, so it's easy to assume that his involvement in the writing process is as minimal as most others. 

The fact that blink went on to include even more songwriters (who weren't producing) on Nine reinforces the argument that they're outside help is way more involved than they are in AVA. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kay said:

Because basically all modern producers get songwriting credits these days for very minor suggestions or changes, purely to ensure they get a better cut of royalties. 

The difference between Aaron and Feldmann is that they've repeatedly talked about how much of the songwriting feldmann undertook for them, while Aaron's writing has never been discussed or shown at all, so it's easy to assume that his involvement in the writing process is as minimal as most others. 

The fact that blink went on to include even more songwriters (who weren't producing) on Nine reinforces the argument that they're outside help is way more involved than they are in AVA. 

Last year Aaron was the producer on The New Regime album ‘Heart Mind Body Soul’. No co-writing credit. In 2012 he was the producer on the Lostprophets album ‘Weapons’. He received a co-writing credit.

Based on this it’s pretty easy to see that Aaron’s co-writing credits are actually determined by the amount of work he contributes to the writing and not just the fact he is a producer these days otherwise why would he not have a co-writing credit on an album released last year but does on an album released close to a decade ago?

I’m not arguing that blinks outside help is equal to Tom’s in Ava (I’ve actually said the opposite quite a few times) but the producer is obviously contributing more than just minor suggestions to get royalties.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Last year Aaron was the producer on The New Regime album ‘Heart Mind Body Soul’. No co-writing credit. In 2012 he was the producer on the Lostprophets album ‘Weapons’. He received a co-writing credit.

Based on this it’s pretty easy to see that Aaron’s co-writing credits are actually determined by the amount of work he contributes to the writing and not just the fact he is a producer these days otherwise why would he not have a co-writing credit on an album released last year but does on an album released close to a decade ago?

I’m not arguing that blinks outside help is equal to Tom’s in Ava (I’ve actually said the opposite quite a few times) but the producer is obviously contributing more than just minor suggestions to get royalties.

That's fair, I didn't know he didn't accept writing credits on his other work (I don't rate him as much of a producer so I've never checked) so maybe he's had more involvement. I'll concede that. 

We still don't know how much though as it's never been put out there, while Feldmann's involvement has been covered in a lot of interviews and stuff.

Either way, I dislike bands who are fully capable of writing decent material getting others to do the work for them and doing it badly. Mark and Skiba and Travis don't need said help and my argument is it's made their work worse.

I don't know what input Aaron has, I know more about what input Ilan has, and I prefer AVA since Ilan's been involved, because previous AVA was dogshit. 

I dislike the idea that the band needs outside help (although I still don't know what that involvement is rom Aaron, and they haven't hired other outside writers so it's still different) but Tom has consistently shat the bed for so long that it angers me less and mostly just makes me roll my eyes.

My issue with Feldy and outside writers with current blink has always been that I know all 3 are capable of more and better, and it bothers me that they don't even seem to want to try.

I don't see it as a double standard, because before Cali came about, I had a lot of respect for Travis, Mark and Skiba. I had faith all 3 working together would make great stuff, and they didn't. It's consistently disappointing. 

But Tom's been disappointing us for literally 15+ years at this point. It's easier to be less upset. I'm used to it haha

• Like 5

On 7/2/2021 at 5:53 AM, Kay said:

That's fair, I didn't know he didn't accept writing credits on his other work (I don't rate him as much of a producer so I've never checked) so maybe he's had more involvement. I'll concede that. 

We still don't know how much though as it's never been put out there, while Feldmann's involvement has been covered in a lot of interviews and stuff.

Either way, I dislike bands who are fully capable of writing decent material getting others to do the work for them and doing it badly. Mark and Skiba and Travis don't need said help and my argument is it's made their work worse.

I don't know what input Aaron has, I know more about what input Ilan has, and I prefer AVA since Ilan's been involved, because previous AVA was dogshit. 

I dislike the idea that the band needs outside help (although I still don't know what that involvement is rom Aaron, and they haven't hired other outside writers so it's still different) but Tom has consistently shat the bed for so long that it angers me less and mostly just makes me roll my eyes.

My issue with Feldy and outside writers with current blink has always been that I know all 3 are capable of more and better, and it bothers me that they don't even seem to want to try.

I don't see it as a double standard, because before Cali came about, I had a lot of respect for Travis, Mark and Skiba. I had faith all 3 working together would make great stuff, and they didn't. It's consistently disappointing. 

But Tom's been disappointing us for literally 15+ years at this point. It's easier to be less upset. I'm used to it haha

Tom clearly needs outside help. You can go ahead and not count the Rubin brothers if you want just because Ilan is in the band…but Tom never needed someone else so much (except Mark) to write that much before. Tom bit off more than he can chew and realized he ran out of ideas , so now Ilan Rubin IS THE FACE OF ANGELS AND FARTWAVES. He recorded all of the guitars on the new records anyways. At least Tom will still be credited for wack ass dancing 

On 7/2/2021 at 6:47 AM, Russel Coight said:

I'm the opposite!