My band just released our first song in over a year

Ash-517

We're a two man project and we kinda took an unintentional year long hiatus but we just finished recording something new and released it yesterday. Here it is! Also this was my first time recording with my new telecaster and I think it sounds great for riffy pop punk. It's a Squier classic vibe 50's if anyone was wondering. Anyways I hope you guys like the tune!

gives me the good kind of early good charlotte vibes.

certified banger, congrats!

Tone snob question : y u no play the bridge with a sparkly crisp clean sound? would fit the tune IMO .

Clean as in perfectly crystal clean or as in edge of breakup? I do love the tele's clean sound but I was after a punchy mid focused gain sound. I'm curious where you would hear the clean part working?

(side note we are working on a song that has clean verses so the sparkly crisp clean is inevitable)

the lead/melody guitar in the bridge! I just thought the melody was a bit too sweet to be so mushy.

Then again i'm the type of guy to rip the WMAA bridge off any chance i get

15 minutes ago, Ash-517 said:

ooh hell that would sound nice

Honestly, it's catchy but I can't hear the drums and it threw me off going from the main riff into the verse. Personally, I like drums to be equal to vocals as far as volume goes. I'd be interested in hearing it with things leveled a little more evenly ... bring guitars down, up the bass to fill in the guitars a bit and up the drums. 

• Like 2

The song structure is a tad abrupt (that was a deliberate choice but will be sung with the other guitarist filling in some vocals live so I can catch my breath), but I thought the mix sounded even between my AKG k240 studios and apple earpods. I usually test mixes on the earpods simply because most people I know listen to music on those, I actually mix on the AKGs. I'm curious about what you're listening on if I may ask?

11 minutes ago, Ash-517 said:

The song structure is a tad abrupt (that was a deliberate choice but will be sung with the other guitarist filling in some vocals live so I can catch my breath), but I thought the mix sounded even between my AKG k240 studios and apple earpods. I usually test mixes on the earpods simply because most people I know listen to music on those, I actually mix on the AKGs. I'm curious about what you're listening on if I may ask?

I just used my phone, which admittedly isn't ideal but drums should still be higher up in the mix. The vocals are super hot so it's taking over a lot of the other tracks. By the time you have guitar and vocals going everything else just kind of gets hidden. Are you hard panning the guitars?

We always used flat studio speakers in a dead room for the mix and then bounced it and threw it on in the car. That always did pretty well for leveling things appropriately. Using cans or earphones never worked well for us as we could never get the leveling right and just ended up with ear fatigue. It was a frustrating lesson to learn and added quite a bit of time fucking with things.

The guitars are panned somewhat randomly (trying to replicate the sound of being in a room). I believe one is like 18% right and the other is 30% left. surprisingly I actually had a friend of mine suggest I bring the vocals up in the mix (I did not, I thought they were plenty loud). Listening back the drums are a little buried. There's a chance that in the future this will end up being treated less like a single and more like a demo (if we ever get recording in a real studio and not just my bedroom) so I will gladly take what you said into consideration.

1 minute ago, Ash-517 said:

The guitars are panned somewhat randomly (trying to replicate the sound of being in a room). I believe one is like 18% right and the other is 30% left. surprisingly I actually had a friend of mine suggest I bring the vocals up in the mix (I did not, I thought they were plenty loud). Listening back the drums are a little buried. There's a chance that in the future this will end up being treated less like a single and more like a demo (if we ever get recording in a real studio and not just my bedroom) so I will gladly take what you said into consideration.

The best way I know is to think of sound like a 3-D space. 

image1_2586b4a0-aa28-4a0d-bef3-011ed1551

You want guitars panned relatively hard left and right. Vocals up front and center with snare just behind them, a little higher. Kick drum should sit under the vocals and bass supports it all.

15 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Mixing with studio speakers in a dead room helps you put every instrument in its place.

Unfortunately I don't have that luxury at the moment but I have saved that image you posted, thank you for that.

• Like 1