What band has the most similar history as Blink?

Meltdown Tracker

I don't mean how they sound, I mean generally. 

I always found RHCP had a lot of similarities to Blink. Just off the top of my head: 

-lead guitarist quits and returns to the band due to personal issues with the other frontman;

-both have albums that are premised on California;

-overlap in prime years (RHCP from 1991 - 2006, 4 albums total; Blink from 1997 - 2003, 4 albums total); 

-musician who was groomed by previous member joins band (Ilan is to Travis as Klinghoffer is to Frusciante - Ilan is AvA so this is a bit of stretch); 

-both had comeback albums in 2016 after a long period of downtime. 

• Like 2

Green Day Sobrante vs Raynor, share a lot of fans, both appear on The Simpsons, both made conceptual albums breaking with the pop-punk image they already had. Both bands have covered Hybrid Moments by Misfits and Dancing with myself (Billy Idol).

GD and blink are like two brothers who rivalry constantly but at the same time, will be remembered as a pop-punk team and the kings of the genre.

Yeah, Green Day would be my immediate thought: 3 piece pop punk band, didn't breakout with their first album, had some growing pains, replaced drummer early on.  Depending on how things play out moving forward, the potential to become a 4 piece band is there, which Green Day officially did for a few years with Jason White. 

• Like 1

Green Day is eerily similar minus the losing Tom part. 

The trajectory and American idiot/Untitled phase as well followed by leftovers.   Dookie/Kerplunk vs Dude Ranch/Cheshire.  Dammit/Basket Case.

Their music is equally as heartless as if they had a new lead member nowadays as well.

They probably have plenty of Ghent types on their board as well reign supreme.

• Wow 1

i always thought FOB had a similar arc, at least initially. indie debut, under-the-radar sophomore LP on a major, two immensely popular albums with radio hits, and an artful change of pace before a hiatus. obviously the reunion era is where they differ.

van halen is a good comparison too; both replaced singers with high profile replacements, broadened their “comeback” sound that divided fans, and did pretty well overall.

• Like 1

From 1992-2005 I would've said the Beatles had a similar history to blink. They both had bitter break ups and both bands have dealt with death. I've always thought of blink as the Beatles of pop punk music as well, especially considering the progress blink made with each album (much like the Beatles did).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boxelder said:

i always thought FOB had a similar arc, at least initially. indie debut, under-the-radar sophomore LP on a major, two immensely popular albums with radio hits, and an artful change of pace before a hiatus. obviously the reunion era is where they differ.

I don't really think FOB is similar to blink at all. Evening Out with Your Girl is a glorified demo (Buddha), so wouldn't TTYG be Dude Ranch? That doesn't really line up. 

Iron Maiden, but Mostly for:

- Paul Di'Anno/Scott Raynor appeared on the first 2 albums but had Left/fired due to Conflicts of Interest/Personal Differences. 

- Gained a member (Bruce Dickinson/Travis Barker) who would appear on the follow-up album that ended up being their Famous and Most Succesful album and Marked their Classic Eras Respectively.

- Later had a major line-up change (Dickinson/Tom Delonge) and going through an Ungraceful period with their new member (Blaze Baley 1994-1999/Matt Skiba 2015-Now) 

- Said former member(s) pursued different interest in music and formed successful acts on their own (Dickinson solo/AVA).

- Classic Line-up Reunions (Dickinson came back, Tom brought back Blink with Mark & Travis).

• Wow 2