ABBA

Kay

So, 40 years since they're last album, they're releasing a new one in November.

They've done some weird green screen mocap stuff to do a virtual concert as well.

Two of the songs are already out there. 

I Still Have Faith In You

Don't Shut Me Down

I grew up adoring ABBA. My parents would play their vinyls for me when I was going to sleep. I truly believe they are exceptional songwriters and musicians, making the ultimate, perfect pop music. 

I was so pumped when I first heard about this, and now the tracks have dropped, I gave them a spin.

I can't say I was overly fond of either of them, although I Still Have Faith In You is wonderful from a purely emotional standpoint (it's about their relationship and their career, so it's quite sweet), it just didn't really grab me. Don't Shut Me Down got me a bit more purely because it's such a throw back to what is quintessentially ABBA's sound, but a lot of the pacing of the vocals and lyrics felt a little off. and obviously, their voices have aged considerably (in a way you can really hear) which was a little distracting.

Still, they're both good songs, just not necessarily to my taste. and I'm just ecstatic that they're still working in some capacity and I hope it results in younger generations discovering the pure joy of ABBA. 

Anyone else checked the new ones out? Thoughts, etc? 

Also, what's everyone's favourite ABBA songs? Mine are 'Kisses Of Fire' and 'SOS'. 

8 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Dancing Queen obviously 😎 I’ll check these out later. I’m quite fond of the IKEA cunts tbh

I knew you would be, good lad. And yeah DQ is a classic for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

Super Trouper is groovy as fuck and I like Thank you for the music 

Chiquitita, the winner takes it all, does your mother know (although that's aged poorly), all fucking great songs. They knocked it out of the park. 

Yeah I posted don't shut me down on what you're listening to thread a few days ago, I love it. Love them both, but don't shut me down is the superior one since Agnethas voice hasn't aged as much as Fridas. And as soon as the band kicked in on that song I got a huge smile. Other than that, Björn and Benny is amazing, pure talent. I'm looking forward to this album so fucking much.

For favorite songs there's just too many to choose from. But If I had to choose I would say with no order:
I Have a Dream
Does your mother know
Take a chance on me
Why did it have to be me
Fernando
Mamma mia
SOS
Waterloo (the Swedish version)
Ring Ring (the Swedish version)

I wanted to write even more songs, there's just too many to choose from 😂

• Haha 1

You know, I've never heard the swedish versions. Didn't occur to me they did swedish versions which is ridiculous because of course they have, English isn't their first language, how dumb of me haha

ABBA old as fuck, together again, and dressed weird = I am 100% in.
My holy trinity is Fernando, Dancing Queen & SOS.

I can't say I'm excited about the 2 songs and the new album but they still have got what it takes to put out catchy music.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Kay said:

You know, I've never heard the swedish versions. Didn't occur to me they did swedish versions which is ridiculous because of course they have, English isn't their first language, how dumb of me haha

Haha! It's only the earliest hits that have Swedish versions though, they stopped doing it quite early onto their career. Both ring ring and Waterloo was performed on the Swedish melodifestivalen which is one reason of their Swedish versions.

The "abbatars" and the show is being created with Industrial Light & Magic which is George Lucas's production company and the arena their building for it is done precisely for the show so I imagine that the show will be quite the experience. Just too bad (for me) that they're doing it in England and not Sweden

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Haha! It's only the earliest hits that have Swedish versions though, they stopped doing it quite early onto their career. Both ring ring and Waterloo was performed on the Swedish melodifestivalen which is one reason of their Swedish versions.

The "abbatars" and the show is being created with Industrial Light & Magic which is George Lucas's production company and the arena their building for it is done precisely for the show so I imagine that the show will be quite the experience. Just too bad (for me) that they're doing it in England and not Sweden

Weird they're not doing it in Sweden frankly. But hopefully it'll be cool. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, _Bagel said:

I get a lot of shit for detesting ABBA - sorry to bring the neggy vibes. I wish it could be different. I’m sure they care that I hate them 

They are pure joy, that’s like hating a puppy.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, _Bagel said:

I get a lot of shit for detesting ABBA - sorry to bring the neggy vibes. I wish it could be different. I’m sure they care that I hate them 

i wish i could unvote for you in the last round of BotBM, massive cringe.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kay said:

They are pure joy, that’s like hating a puppy.

Hahahah - don’t get me started on puppies…

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

i wish i could unvote for you in the last round of BotBM, massive cringe.

HA - am I still the best new board member or am I now just a soulless honey-badger ?