Cheshire Cat Advanced Tape

Tommy.182

Hello,

sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, literally brand new here...

I used to collect blink-182 memorabilia a lot around 2005 - 2010, however, I was ripped off $4,000 by a Portuguese collector and lost interest for quite some time. Obviously that put a sour taste in my mouth, as 4k was a lot of money to me.

I recently went through my collection for the first time in over a decade, and it brought back a lot of fond memories.

Before I stopped, I was close to purchasing a cheshire cat advanced tape, however, it never materialized after I lost the money.

Now, I know the tape is rare, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I'd potentially be able to find one? 

The one I am looking for has the Cat artwork on the front, not Tom.

I'm also looking to expand my collection of singles, as well as cds and whatnot from other countries. 

Thanks for your time. Let me know where/if I can post discussions like this somewhere else.

tf.

the problem with the promo tape is the cassette is just a regular first pressing cargo. same as the album. only the inserts are different. IIRC there was a delay in printing the artwork, though the tapes and CDs were done in late 1994—it took until february 1995 to have everything ready. so the two versions of the promo art—the cat and tom's live pic—were just xeroxed on goldenrod cardstock.

which is quite easy to fake. buy a first press cassette on discogs or somewhere, dummy up the art, and rip someone off.

i only mention this @Tommy.182because you got taken before on a deal for a lot of money. so be careful. i would never buy a promo CC for this very reason.

I appreciate your guys' time on responding, and appreciate the background on the cassette. 

Im definitely going to do a lot of research prior to purchasing the cassette, and I'll be buying it from a reputable collector if I do, for sure. Or make sure people can vouch for them. 

I did the bulk of my collecting back in 2005 to 2008, back when scamming wasnt AS prevalent (yet i was fooled, however, that was just me being naive). Had a collector with the handle Jamesahawick helping me along the way, who was a very active collector from Europe at the time. I did purchase some rare cassette tapes from him back then that I'll share when I'm back home in a couple of months and can take photos.

I realize forging these items is much more common now. Not that it wasn't back then, but I was a lot more active in the community and would have people verify items for me. I have one cassette that I think people will be particularly interested in. 

Thanks again. If you ever hear of one of these collectors wanting to sell, throw them my way, please. 

• Like 2

i'm curious to see what you have and whether or not davey can help verify their legitimacy.

some of those "trusted" collectors back in the day did circulate fake tapes. if they realized something they had wasn't legitimate, they would sell it to someone else. if they were real, it's unlikely they'd part ways with the rare items unless they were selling off their whole collection. 

That makes sense to me.

But James traded for a long time and had a good reputation amongst everyone in the community, so quite confident in what I have. 

But I'm definitely down to take a bunch of photos to send to you guys. That's no problem at all. It's good information to have. I live a very transient life style and travel a lot for work, so I won't be home until Christmas. 

• 1 year later...