Happy 10th birthday..

twentytwenty

2 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

Go on...

It’s not an interesting story really. I was an avid green day fan at the time and within the fanbase it was very common to shit on blink. I used to think that blink was an obnoxious and annoying bunch. Ended up giving NH a go because my then-crush was hyping the album on twitter. I expected to hate it and looked forward to bash it together with my green day friends but ended up loving every track immediately and it’s one of the weirdest musical experiences I ever had

• Like 4

this was my first album release i got to be a part of as a fan, so this was special for me. it was a little disappointing as a whole because it was so clear they weren't unified in its creation, or really getting along as bandmates... a decade later, it still feels disjointed and unfinished, in some ways. the sequencing is weird and there's a few tunes i could do without. still, there's more than your fair share of enjoyable moments -- kaleidoscope, after midnight, GOTDF, wishing well, all of these remain solid blink songs. was proof that they were greater together, even through a computer and living in different "neighborhoods", than apart.

i remember it leaking from a russian source on like the 15th or something. i've still got my interpunk pre-order pink vinyl, i think. was a fun time to be a fan, despite the wait and nature of it all.

• Like 3

My favorites from Neighborhoods haven't really changed over the years..This is Home, Kaleidoscope, After Midnight, and Wishing Well are top tier for me still. I like GOTDF and UAN too, but both fall short of they could have been

I think part of my issue is Tom was a dick during recording, and STILL used leftover guitar riffs he'd been playing on modlife for literally years (UAN, Snake Charmer)

it's like really dude? this giant band's comeback record and you're throwing old stale riffs into the microwave because writing music is such an inconvenience to you?

sours the experience.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

it took me an extremely long time to come around to wishing well, as in like very lately haha. when the album came out there were so many songs i felt like were too-obvious in their throwback nature: EISF, MH4.17.2011 or whatever, and wishing well. it felt like a lazy riff -- like jar said, had been played on modlife for years -- and its chorus seemed generic. these days i like it a lot more. feels like a classic tom riff and some of the lyrics aren't bad.

i still love GOTDF a ton. despite this album's noticeable lack of bridges, i always enjoyed the very U2-esque build it's got going. as a person who's always more or less disliked AVA, it felt like a cool direction the band could be going in that never was.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, boxelder said:

it took me an extremely long time to come around to wishing well, as in like very lately haha. when the album came out there were so many songs i felt like were too-obvious in their throwback nature: EISF, MH4.17.2011 or whatever, and wishing well. it felt like a lazy riff -- like jar said, had been played on modlife for years -- and its chorus seemed generic. these days i like it a lot more. feels like a classic tom riff and some of the lyrics aren't bad.

I never disliked Wishing Well, but I definitely enjoy it more now than I did when the album came out. It's one of the few songs from Neighborhoods that I'll listen to on its own, even when I'm not listening to the whole album.

I still remember when UAN was released. I don’t think I have ever or will ever again play a song on repeat for so long without getting tired of it. My gf at the time and I were going to a music festival a few days after it came out about 8 hours up the coast from where we lived. I didn’t have my license at the time so I was in charge of the iPod and I swear I played UAN every second or third song the whole trip. Never got sick of it. Now I’m not huge on the song but I was so hyped the band was back together I couldn’t stop listening to it.

Was it After Midnight or Hearts all Gone that you were able to download off the blink website by stopping the number counter on 182? 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I still remember when UAN was released. I don’t think I have ever or will ever again play a song on repeat for so long without getting tired of it. My gf at the time and I were going to a music festival a few days after it came out about 8 hours up the coast from where we lived. I didn’t have my license at the time so I was in charge of the iPod and I swear I played UAN every second or third song the whole trip. Never got sick of it. Now I’m not huge on the song but I was so hyped the band was back together I couldn’t stop listening to it.

Was it After Midnight or Hearts all Gone that you were able to download off the blink website by stopping the number counter on 182? 

Hearing Tom and Mark's voices together again the first time I listened to Up All Night was one of my favorite music experiences I've ever had haha.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Hearing Tom and Mark's voices together again the first time I listened to Up All Night was one of my favorite music experiences I've ever had haha.

I’ve told the story here a bunch but, on the first burst of the up all night chorus, I cried like a lil Bitch.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kay said:

I’ve told the story here a bunch but, on the first burst of the up all night chorus, I cried like a lil Bitch.

My omfg moment was when the riff kicked in, and then another omfg moment when mark started singing his first line in the first verse. 

Something that bugged from the first time I heard it was the outro, and it still bugs the shit out of me, why did they think doing a badly done breakdown? It doesn’t work imo.

I remember sitting there in the middle of the night listening to that radio stream waiting for the premier, good times!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Depf said:

Blink concert goers hate neighborhoods. 

I double dare anybody to tell me blink 2011 was half the show compared to both earlier and now. Delonge still owes me money

I liked when he wore the love t-shirt and hat to blink gigs…didn't infuriate me at all 🥲