Mark GQ article

Patient #48273

great article, love that the writer's a fan of the band too. his impressions of the band's dynamics and legacy -- tom the "iconoclast" and pop-punk being "perseverance" -- are spot-on. pics are phenomenal too. i thought skiba's quotes about being deferential to tom were honest. of course i like to hear that the three got together and had a band meeting too, i hope it was cathartic for all of them.

obviously mark's comment about "how would that work, the four of us" is perhaps the most eye-opening, but i'm certain he said that in passing. i just can't see a future where skiba plays second fiddle to tom or vice-versa. it just doesn't make sense.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

great article, love that the writer's a fan of the band too. his impressions of the band's dynamics and legacy -- tom the "iconoclast" and pop-punk being "perseverance" -- are spot-on.

Yup totally agree. It's nice to see them written about as an actual successful band made up of humans instead of "pop punk's clown princes" or an embarrassing band the writer accidentally liked before they knew any better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Its interesting that Mark didnt call Tom to tell him he had cancer

Tom called him like the day mark found out coincidentally. He didn’t really have a chance too. I wouldn’t expect him to have told him in the first group of close friends and family, but probably in the broader group after he had time to absorb it. He was posting chemo photos on his close friends on Instagram so he was comfortable with everyone around him knowing. 

5 hours ago, Blink182acti0n said:

At this point, hopefully matt stays in the band and Tom comes as the 2nd guitarist when he’s available. That way they can still play there new stuff and old and would sound way better than backing tracks.

Matt is terrible at blink stuff on guitar.  It would be so hard to watch the both of them. Both have zero energy on stage anymore either, Tom is just the original member so it's more interesting/meaningful.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J3n said:

Matt is terrible at blink stuff on guitar.  It would be so hard to watch the both of them. Both have zero energy on stage anymore either, Tom is just the original member so it's more interesting/meaningful.

Blink will never be the same, clearly you forgot how bad tom was at the tail end of his last run. At this point they would be better off as a four piece.

1 hour ago, Drunk said:

They don't really need a 2nd guitarrist. 

Then that works out, Tom doesn't even like to play guitar live, half of his Angels shows have him without a guitar and just singing.  It would look pretty lame though for everyone else to be playing instruments and singing and him just standing up there swaying his arms for a song he's not a singer in. Maybe Tom could do keyboard and synth live, he's done a little of that live before as I recall.  Though realistically I think they would go the 2 guitars route for live shows if they do try and make it work as a 4-piece. 

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, Blink182acti0n said:

Blink will never be the same, clearly you forgot how bad tom was at the tail end of his last run. At this point they would be better off as a four piece.

I definitely remember, which is why I said it'd be two tired dudes on stage instead of one or the other.

It'd be no different than seeing the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith pop up at festivals still if that happens. 

They're almost there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J3n said:

I definitely remember, which is why I said it'd be two tired dudes on stage instead of one or the other.

It'd be no different than seeing the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith pop up at festivals still if that happens. 

They're almost there.

Rolling Stone still put on a helluva show ... Mick still moves around just as much as ever. I'm sure Aerosmith sucks though.