What are the best albums you've listened to this year?

Elisa

my most-listened to albums this year are:

Death Cab for Cutie, Transatlanticism

George Harrison, All Things Must Pass

XTC, Black Sea

Cocteau Twins, Heaven or Las Vegas

Death Cab for Cutie, Plans

Elliott Smith, XO

Jeff Rosenstock, SKA DREAM

Morrissey, Viva Hate

Phoebe Bridgers, Punisher

Stevie Wonder, Talking Book

I discovered all of them this year except for All Things Must Pass and Transatlanticism, both of which I had discovered before but didn't get into until this year. I had heard of Punisher when it came out but waited until the hype died down to check it out.

I haven't been following the contemporary music scene as closely the past few months due to studying, but I feel like hardly any significant new music was released this year. Tyler, the Creator's Call Me if You Get Lost was probably my favorite release of 2021, but I haven't listened to it much.

• Love 1

Same here. I haven't really been following new music trends this year so I haven't listened to a lot of new stuff.

My favourite one in general is called El Madrileño by C. Tangana. His music looks simple but there's clearly so much thought that's gone into it and each song is an unbelievably beautiful mix of latin and spanish music.
Pop, trap, rock, bossa nova, bachata, salsa, flamenco, it's all there.

The best punk & adjacent album for me was Glow by Turnstile. Another good one, more emo/indie rock, was I Won't Care How You Remember Me by Tigers Jaw.

Hip hop: I enjoyed Tyler's album and Westside Gunn's two albums "Hitler Wears Hermes 8 (side A &B )" because I like how he's rapping over lo-fi beats.

Old discoveries:
-Floodland - Sisters of Mercy
-The Suburbs and Funeral - Arcade Fire
-Beats Rhymes and Life - A Tribe Called Quest
-Black Celebration - Depeche Mode
-Pull The Thorns From Your Heart - Senses Fail
-George Harrison - Cloud Nine. I only knew I Got My Mind Set On You and the other single from that album, but Cloud Nine is such a fun listen.

The rest of the time I just listened to music that I already knew of, some Italian albums and a ton of latin music.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Same here. I haven't really been following new music trends this year so I haven't listened to a lot of new stuff.

My favourite one in general is called El Madrileño by C. Tangana. His music looks simple but there's clearly so much thought that's gone into it and each song is an unbelievably beautiful mix of latin and spanish music.
Pop, trap, rock, bossa nova, bachata, salsa, flamenco, it's all there.

The best punk & adjacent album for me was Glow by Turnstile. Another good one, more emo/indie rock, was I Won't Care How You Remember Me by Tigers Jaw.

Hip hop: I enjoyed Tyler's album and Westside Gunn's two albums "Hitler Wears Hermes 8 (side A &B )" because I like how he's rapping over lo-fi beats.

Old discoveries:
-Floodland - Sisters of Mercy
-The Suburbs and Funeral - Arcade Fire
-Beats Rhymes and Life - A Tribe Called Quest
-Black Celebration - Depeche Mode
-Pull The Thorns From Your Heart - Senses Fail
-George Harrison - Cloud Nine. I only knew I Got My Mind Set On You and the other single from that album, but Cloud Nine is such a fun listen.

The rest of the time I just listened to music that I already knew of, some Italian albums and a ton of latin music.

what's your favorite song on Black Celebration?

Maisie Peters - You Signed Up for This 

Hands down the best pop record I've heard in very very long time (the whole album is so so good ; tracks like Tough Act, Talking To Strangers and Brooklyn are stand out tracks for me definitely with the production and the amazing songwriting!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thibaut182 said:

Maisie Peters - You Signed Up for This 

Hands down the best pop record I've heard in very very long time (the whole album is so so good ; tracks like Tough Act, Talking To Strangers and Brooklyn are stand out tracks for me definitely with the production and the amazing songwriting!)

Never heard of her, I'll check her out!

• Love 1

My most listened to albums are shown in the wrapped thread, but here they are in chronological order:

1 Melissa Horn - Konstgjord Andning (2019)

2 Weezer - OK Human (2021)

3 Imagine Dragons - Act 1 (2021)

4 The Night Game - Dog Years (2021)

5 Beach Boys - Feel Flows boxset (2021 / 1969-1971)

6 Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (1970)

7 Luke Combs - What You See Is What You Get (2019)

8 Beach Boys - Smiley Smile (1967)

9 Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give (2010)

10 Zac Brown Band - Welcome Home (2017)

• Like 1

I couldn't tell you which albums from earlier years I've discovered this year, I just don't keep track of the music I put on.

So, in lieu of that my 2 favorite releases this year (that I remember) are The Copyrights - Alone In A Dome & The Queers - Save the World.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I couldn't tell you which albums from earlier years I've discovered this year, I just don't keep track of the music I put on.

So, in lieu of that my 2 favorite releases this year (that I remember) are The Copyrights - Alone In A Dome & The Queers - Save the World.

Alone In A Dome is fantastic. I liked Save The World when it came out but it didn't have much staying power for me. 

14 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Alone In A Dome is fantastic. I liked Save The World when it came out but it didn't have much staying power for me. 

Alone In A Dome has been on repeat for me since the day it came out. Save the World was too for a while but it died out eventually. I like it better than Back to the Basement but it's by no means on par with Love Songs for the Retarded or Pleasant Screams, Move Back Home, or Don't Back Down.

• Like 1