Controversial Blink Opinion

Scott.

14 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Whatever the case, we're SEVEN YEARS into his tenure in Blink and he still doesn't seem like an actual member, and doesn't seem to have much fun being in the band.

I feel like on this board disagreeing with this is the actual controversial opinion.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I feel like on this board disagreeing with this is the actual controversial opinion.

Haha true. Ok here's one that is kinda Blink related...

Even though I despise Feldmann's influence as Blink's producer and I think he's an obnoxious person, and Skiba seems fine, I enjoyed Goldfinger WAY more than Alkaline Trio back in the day and would still probably choose about 20 of their songs to listen to before Alk...

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

I think I'm in the minority that thinks Nine is a damn good album, so the following comment might be controversial

First Time, Heaven, Darkside, Generational Divide, Black Rain, IRWIHY, No Heart to Speak Of, On Some Emo Shit & Remember to Forget Me are quality songs

Oh, and Even If She Falls is crap apart from the riff.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

36 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I think I'm in the minority that thinks Nine is a damn good album, so the following comment might be controversial

First Time, Heaven, Darkside, Generational Divide, Black Rain, IRWIHY, No Heart to Speak Of, On Some Emo Shit & Remember to Forget Me are quality songs

Oh, and Even If She Falls is crap apart from the riff.

It was half good, the other half is kinda boring.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I think Matt Skiba is a more consistently good songwriter than Tom Delonge.

I’m not saying he’s been better in blink but overall in regards to their entire discography he’s been more consistently good. Tom’s had higher highs but much lower lows.

Id say 95% of Matt’s discography, which includes  Alk3, The Sekrets, Heavens, blink and theHell, is far better than any of the AVA albums which now makes up at least 50% of Tom’s whole discography (I’m not going to count so if I’m wrong whatever) and the Love albums, outside of maybe 2 songs, are so, so bad that they bring Tom’s average way down.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

10 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I’m not saying he’s been better in blink but overall in regards to their entire discography he’s been more consistently good. Tom’s had higher highs but much lower lows.

Id say 95% of Matt’s discography, which includes  Alk3, The Sekrets, Heavens, blink and theHell, is far better than any of the AVA albums which now makes up at least 50% of Tom’s whole discography (I’m not going to count so if I’m wrong whatever) and the Love albums, outside of maybe 2 songs, are so, so bad that they bring Tom’s average way down.

If we are comparing strictly Blink Tom and AK3 Matt … my vote would go for Tom. Matt is the better lyricist for sure but the songs never really clicked with me personally and I think Tom was a little more eclectic. Tom wrote the better songs over all as I feel like they had a wider mass appeal and Matt’s just always kind of sounded the same to me musically and stylistically. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Lindemulder said:

Skiba doesn't seem over the moon about blink anymore but the question is if the enviroment has simply stripped it away from him. Not having real influence on the music, taking lots of shit from the fans etc. Must be tiring

It’s just probably a little bit of everything.  He doesn’t seem like he hates it or anything but he’s never been a high energy person. I think he’s just way more low key than what Blink fans are used to seeing and it comes off as standoffish.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Speedo said:

If we are comparing strictly Blink Tom and AK3 Matt … my vote would go for Tom. Matt is the better lyricist for sure but the songs never really clicked with me personally and I think Tom was a little more eclectic. Tom wrote the better songs over all as I feel like they had a wider mass appeal and Matt’s just always kind of sounded the same to me musically and stylistically. 

Yeah same. I wouldn’t rate any Alk3 album above any blink album Cheshire-untitled. I’d say some come very close and a couple would be even. I’d probably put a couple above Neighbourhoods though.

Matt’s songs definitely clicked with me, especially as I got older. Don’t really think of them as samey either but the differences are definitely a bit more nuanced than the differences between Tom’s songs in blink.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

32 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It’s just probably a little bit of everything.  He doesn’t seem like he hates it or anything but he’s never been a high energy person. I think he’s just way more low key than what Blink fans are used to seeing and it comes off as standoffish.

I think he's understandably even more low-key than he already is in blink because he's not really given much a choice.  No excuse for his shoddy live energy, but as far is a band member, I think anyone would be indifferent being a 3rd wheel to Mark+Travis's continuation of the band and not treated like a real member to protect the sound or whatever Mark/Travis/blink camp is tightly controlling.  

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

52 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I wanted to hate this, but 'consistently' good song writer is probably accurate.  I think Tom is a way more exciting, interesting, unique writer in general than Skiba and clearly blows him out of the water when it comes to unique guitar stuff that really is as important as anything that made the band famous, but as far as songwriting I'm sure Skiba is much more reliable and consistent in that sense.

Tom is way more impactful obviously, just one of a kind in that sense.  Tom's lows are part of what makes him more unique also, sound silly, but it is the constant risk taking on his end.  It's often awful, but it's still more interesting to many of us than Skiba/Alk3.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Haha true. Ok here's one that is kinda Blink related...

Even though I despise Feldmann's influence as Blink's producer and I think he's an obnoxious person, and Skiba seems fine, I enjoyed Goldfinger WAY more than Alkaline Trio back in the day and would still probably choose about 20 of their songs to listen to before Alk...

giphy.gif

I don't mind Goldfinger either.  Even their latest album Knife, was pretty fucking solid and I want to hate Feldmann for being such a doucheface with blink's continuation.

Goldfinger is better than a LOT of bands from the blink heyday.  I often put them in the top 5 when the genre gets more nitpicky.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, .437 beats .40 __chess said:

Tom's lows are part of what makes him more unique also, sound silly, but it is the constant risk taking on his end. 

Agree with most of what you said except for this. Bad music is just bad music. If you find him more interesting that’s fair enough but it feels like blind tombotism to say writing bad music makes him unique.

I think really the only AVA album that was actually a risk was WDNTW and that’s actually one of the better ones, and it was only a risk as he was leaving blink to do it. By the time the Love albums rolled around Ava was established, blink was back. There was no risk. Just mostly boring, bad songs.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

16 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Agree with most of what you said except for this. Bad music is just bad music. If you find him more interesting that’s fair enough but it feels like blind tombotism to say writing bad music makes him unique.

I think really the only AVA album that was actually a risk was WDNTW and that’s actually one of the better ones, and it was only a risk as he was leaving blink to do it. By the time the Love albums rolled around Ava was established, blink was back. There was no risk. Just mostly boring, bad songs.

I definitely don't love AvA songs (on occasion, I do), but the only one that writes songs like Tom is Tom.  Skiba/Alk3 is definitely solid good music, but fits in a dark pop punk box that I think a lot of other artists could create/cover pretty easily.

it's not a knock on Skiba.  It's good music.   He's good and earned his respect as a upper echelon artist in the 'pop punk' type genre.  Tom is just undoubtedly unique and non-repeatable. 

That results in plenty of duds.  I don't like WDNTW, but I'll agree it really didn't need to continue on with AvA 4 Lyfe bro he decided to go with.

• Like 2

probably the biggest is that they should probably just end the band.

blink was one of the greatest acts to ever be deliberately commercial by intention… all they ever wanted to do was play sing-songy music, make money, and be globally successful. they had no qualms about authenticity. it’s a perspective a lot of artists could learn from in every medium.

DED was a well meaning experiment that only illustrated how disconnected the three truly were.

california has aged gracefully — though it’s not where i wanted the band to go, it stands on its own as a generic, gimmicky blockbuster comeback album. its still mad overlong though.

cheshire cat is largely garbage, and DR was a huge step forward in quality.

this is NOT controversial, but skiba should’ve quit the band in like 2017.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I like it when blink does collabs and guest appearances. I love the Yelawolf part of pretty little girl. The blink/lil Wayne WMMA mashup is fun (plus it’s really cool to hear an official studio recording of WMAA with Matt singing backup instead of Tom). The Steve Aoki song is great. I’m all for the collabs. Kind of sad the collab EP never happened.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1