Controversial Blink Opinion

Scott.

4 hours ago, bobbo11290 said:

Dogs eating dogs was absolute dog shit compared to Neighborhoods, and sounds like the dying gasp of a band falling apart. I never understood why people thought it was a step up. That EP alone made me not the least bit surprised they imploded again two years later.

This is controversial but I agree. I like PLG but it’s fucking weird as a grown ass man to refer to your wife as a “pretty little girl”.

Boxing Day is alright, The song Dogs Eating Dogs is okay, Disaster is fucking terrible and When I Was Young has it’s moments.

none of them are great and none of them get me to return. Neighborhoods has some clunkers but it still has songs I return to. DED was much more forgettable and mediocre.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

34 minutes ago, Kay said:

I love you for this ! 

You have to think how old they were at the time and that it was just their first effort at making an album, but despite that, they already had top notch songs and a very cohesive sound.
The audio quality may be a bit lacking, but I don't care about that. Some of their best songs are from Cheshire Cat and the album is just a bomb.

I've listened to all the punk rock records I could in my life, and I definitely listened to all the punk rock records of the 90s, and blink were already a step above their peers in the musical department without being pretentious and with no cred at all.
And what's cool about Cheshire Cat is that they were able to show up and record an album that is fast, raw, funny, has some dark and interesting lyrics, insanely catchy riffs and it flows as well as Enema, without the help of a producer like Jerry Finn.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

My favorites are sgt pepper and the mystery tour, and I always get torn between which one of them really are my favorite. Sgt pepper is better for listening start to finish imo, while the mystery tour has some of my absolute favs by them, such as fool on the hill, I am the walrus, hello goodbye, and of course strawberry fields and penny lane. 

I do think these are their two best albums hands down though, with the white album as a contestant.

yeah, from a production stand point, no one could come close to what beatles or beach boys were doing those days, tbh not musically either. 

and, who can listen to obladi and NOT sing or hum along to the verses!?

Strawberry Fields Forever > Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds for me. And Hello Goodbye and Penny Lane are two of my top Beatles songs.

IIRC correctly one thing Brian Wilson said about Paul is that he could never pin down how he got to be so versatile and that The Beach Boys spent forever trying to figure out where he got all his different types of songs from. Which is a comment I love, because one time Paul said God Only Knows was the greatest song ever written. People like to pit The Beatles and The Beach Boys against each other, but at least to me they’re too different to compare, and the fact that they admired each other’s work shows how groundbreaking they both were in their own right.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

You have to think how old they were at the time and that it was just their first effort at making an album, but despite that, they already had top notch songs and a very cohesive sound.
The audio quality may be a bit lacking, but I don't care about that. Some of their best songs are from Cheshire Cat and the album is just a bomb.

I've listened to all the punk rock records I could in my life, and I definitely listened to all the punk rock records of the 90s, and blink were already a step above their peers in the musical department without being pretentious and with no cred at all.
And what's cool about Cheshire Cat is that they were able to show up and record an album that is fast, raw, funny, has some dark and interesting lyrics, insanely catchy riffs and it flows as well as Enema, without the help of a producer like Jerry Finn.

Yes to all of this. Cheshire has some dope guitars, hilarious moments and some actually good lyrics.

I always say one of my fave Tom lyrics is “Depression’s just a sarcastic state of mind” which is in the middle of one of the dumber songs on the record lol.

I also love “Strings” which is apparently hated by most. Yeah the chorus is dumb but the rest of the song is fucking brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

When I was young > DED > Boxing Day >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pretty Little Girl >>> Disaster

And I really think Disaster is that bad and when I was young is that good. Many seem to have it flipped for some reason.  Plg is just really bad because the rap but it's okay otherwise.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

Strawberry Fields Forever > Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds for me. And Hello Goodbye and Penny Lane are two of my top Beatles songs.

IIRC correctly one thing Brian Wilson said about Paul is that he could never pin down how he got to be so versatile and that The Beach Boys spent forever trying to figure out where he got all his different types of songs from. Which is a comment I love, because one time Paul said God Only Knows was the greatest song ever written. People like to pit The Beatles and The Beach Boys against each other, but at least to me they’re too different to compare, and the fact that they admired each other’s work shows how groundbreaking they both were in their own right.

I love lucy, little help is one of my favs as well. 

Yeah, both were amazing in their own rights, no need to pit them against each other. 

• Wow 1

The Fool On The Hill and Your Mother Should Know have become two of my favourite Beatles songs over the past 5 years. I don't know why I didn't get on with these two songs as a teen. 

And Beatles For Sale deserves more love. I definitely grew to appreciate it more. I love the twang on those 12-string riffs that George does on tracks like “What You’re Doing” and I have a soft spot for No Reply, the cover of Mr. Moonlight and I'll Follow The Sun. 

• Wow 1

Travis went from a massive addition, to the worst thing for blink.

If you take him out - likely no Feldmann, likely no Boxcar fame -> AvA (I'll take it for more blink), likely if all that happens Matt gets more say next to Mark and writes better music..  no disgusting Instagram PDA posts..

Is Travis the 😈?

• Wow 1
  • Crab 2

15 hours ago, .437 beats .40 said:

Blink doesn't have a best album.  It fluctuates between Dude Ranch, Enema, Toypaj, and Untitled equally.

Neighborhoods I fucking love but cannot put up there. Cheshire is not as great to me but a good album still before you kill me.

this is just called being a fence-sitter. 

• Wow 1

Not sure if controversial but I feel like When Your Heart Stops Beating is more of a blink-182 album than California. It has Jerry Finn producing (or co-producing?). Mark & Travis are in 100% control of the songwriting. Shane & Craig contribute slightly when it comes to the guitars, although I'm sure Mark played a lot of the guitars on that album.

It also progresses with the sound from the smiley face album, so it would be a natural 6th blink-182 album. It's a blink-182 album in everything but name.

edit: I would also argue it's closer to being a blink album than Neighborhoods too tbh

• Like 4

On 2/20/2022 at 1:56 AM, bobbo11290 said:

Dogs eating dogs was absolute dog shit compared to Neighborhoods, and sounds like the dying gasp of a band falling apart. I never understood why people thought it was a step up. That EP alone made me not the least bit surprised they imploded again two years later.

super agree, was shocked at how bad it was when it came out versus how they hyped it. it’s such a mishmash of undercooked songs

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Not sure if controversial but I feel like When Your Heart Stops Beating is more of a blink-182 album than California. It has Jerry Finn producing (or co-producing?). Mark & Travis are in 100% control of the songwriting. Shane & Craig contribute slightly when it comes to the guitars, although I'm sure Mark played a lot of the guitars on that album.

It also progresses with the sound from the smiley face album, so it would be a natural 6th blink-182 album. It's a blink-182 album in everything but name.

edit: I would also argue it's closer to being a blink album than Neighborhoods too tbh

Blink was largely Mark, largely Tom.  +44 was that version largely Mark. 

California is like a Feldmann/Travis Barker heavy album with splashes of Mark through 10 computers.  

It is totally fair to feel +44 is more blink than blink is on california.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Crab 1