Controversial Blink Opinion

Scott.

On 2/20/2022 at 3:54 AM, Elisa said:

And what's cool about Cheshire Cat is that they were able to show up and record an album that is fast, raw, funny, has some dark and interesting lyrics, insanely catchy riffs and it flows as well as Enema, without the help of a producer like Jerry Finn.

i don't want to change a thing about the way it sounds. but if they had done CC with finn, and slowed down three songs to make them radio / MTV singles, it would have been the same hit record as enema. like, "m+m's" and "wasting time" would have soared up the charts with finn's hands at the board. no question. with a few lyrical tweaks i could even see "cacophony" as the adam's song of the album.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i don't want to change a thing about the way it sounds. but if they had done CC with finn, and slowed down three songs to make them radio / MTV singles, it would have been the same hit record as enema. like, "m+m's" and "wasting time" would have soared up the charts with finn's hands at the board. no question. with a few lyrical tweaks i could even see "cacophony" as the adam's song of the album.

I don’t know if they were quite there yet with CC, I’m not sure they had the songwriting chops yet.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:10 PM, daveyjones said:

On youtube you can change the playback speed of a video, it's kinda cool to experiment and hear those songs that way. The "Wasting Time" riff does sound great at 0.8 speed! Fun hypothetical to imagine Finn getting his hands on some of those songs, although their chops were definitely not quite there yet to make it a full hit record in my opinion.

• Like 2

As much as I love Cheshire Cat, I think a polished version wouldn't be a hit album, even with the exact same song structures, lyrics and maybe slower tempos with Travis on the drums.

It wasn't until they wrote Dammit when they realised they were great songwriters. That song defined and kick started the mainstream era of blink. It'd fit perfectly on Enema with Travis on the drums and with a more polished and better production.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

As much as I love Cheshire Cat, I think a polished version wouldn't be a hit album, even with the exact same song structures, lyrics and maybe slower tempos with Travis on the drums.

It wasn't until they wrote Dammit when they realised they were great songwriters. That song defined and kick started the mainstream era of blink. It'd fit perfectly on Enema with Travis on the drums and with a more polished and better production.

I firmly disagree.

some of the lyrical content was much rougher and immature on cheshire, and the production was rough, but the actual songwriting was actually good.

There’s plenty of great riffs and catchy melodies, and there’s actually more interesting structures to some of their earlier stuff than there is later in their career.

Songs like Carousel, Peggy Sue, M+Ms, Romeo and Rebecca and others could’ve been enema “quality” with a producer like Finn on board.

I really think the only issue is lyrical maturity, their songwriting chops were fine. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I firmly disagree.

some of the lyrical content was much rougher and immature on cheshire, and the production was rough, but the actual songwriting was actually good.

There’s plenty of great riffs and catchy melodies, and there’s actually more interesting structures to some of their earlier stuff than there is later in their career.

Songs like Carousel, Peggy Sue, M+Ms, Romeo and Rebecca and others could’ve been enema “quality” with a producer like Finn on board.

I really think the only issue is lyrical maturity, their songwriting chops were fine. 

Yeah, well, according to you AC/DC doesn’t have riffs!

• Wow 1

7 hours ago, Kay said:

I firmly disagree.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love nearly all the songs from that album. I think the songwriting for that album is quality haha but I'm talking more from a mainstream hit point of view.

Maybe that's how I should've worded it rather than songwriting quality. I just feel like it wasn't until Dammit that they figured out how to write their typical hit type of songs.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love nearly all the songs from that album. I think the songwriting for that album is quality haha but I'm talking more from a mainstream hit point of view.

Maybe that's how I should've worded it rather than songwriting quality. I just feel like it wasn't until Dammit that they figured out how to write their typical hit type of songs.

But the 'mainstream' tooling of most of their material was Finn's input more than their own, I would argue.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

But the 'mainstream' tooling of most of their material was Finn's input more than their own, I would argue.

Definitely agree. He provided what blink was looking for at the time. I don't like it when Tom mentioned the nursery rhymes on steroids thing but at the same time I do see the point he was making regarding Enema

I just think Dammit was the first track from blink that leaned more towards their pop sensibilities with their songwriting and I'm sure I've heard an interview from Tom where he had similar thoughts regarding Dammit

• Wow 1

On 3/1/2022 at 1:42 PM, Nosferatu said:

Definitely agree. He provided what blink was looking for at the time. I don't like it when Tom mentioned the nursery rhymes on steroids thing but at the same time I do see the point he was making regarding Enema

I just think Dammit was the first track from blink that leaned more towards their pop sensibilities with their songwriting and I'm sure I've heard an interview from Tom where he had similar thoughts regarding Dammit

I'd say Blink already did that with Time. And I think Tom said he felt with Dammit, they finally knew how to write a song, and that everything else were just, "Punk art pieces", or whatever he said.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Brannigan said:

Scott > Travis

Travis era <<<<<<

Blink would've been Huge whether or not they had Scott, Travis, or any other great drummer after Scott. As Long as they can hit it off with Mark and Tom, then Major success was all in spades for them. 

Yes, because Finn brought them to limelight with their writing styles.  I'd say they stay at Dammit/Josie levels or slightly higher if they don't ever link up with Finn and do Enema.

Travis was much more likeable and about on par with Mark and Tom for popularity (at the time) so I don't know if they'd be AS massive, because having all 3 be these heartthrob type guys really made it something for the masses, I still see them very popular without Travis and still Finn, but possibly a step below (people loved those intense drums in the backdrop of their simple melodies).  Let's not forget how good Travis was back on Enema-Untitled/Neighborhoods where he was very recognizable.

Therefore, no I don't see them the same level, just a very great band for their genre but maybe not the top top. 

This is all speculation of course.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/20/2022 at 7:58 AM, Rickay said:

It’s hard to fathom that the Beatles went from Please Please Me to Sgt Peppers in about 4 years. 

(I hate 17 year old me)

Actual answers to thread:

-Calling Self-titled Untitled is annoying the fuck out of me.

-TOYPAJ gets worse and worse each time I hear it,

-Enema gets better each time I hear it.

-Cheshire Cat is very underrated. Love that one.

• Wow 1

I like John Feldmann.  Not for his production style, but really his overall passion to keep the genre alive. Goldfinger probably deserved a little more credit than they got. He made bands like The Used better.

At the end of the day, it's not like he had final say, so we tend to get mad at him more than deserved.

Yes, he's a convincing, bit self centered asshole, but it's not like Mark or Travis couldn't veto his ideas or say in the California music.

Mark and Skiba weren't 20 years old, it's not like they had to scrap all the music they came up with.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 months later...