Controversial Blink Opinion

Scott.

1 hour ago, Patient #48273 said:

I had a quick scan through their respective wiki pages and it seemed like BN has sold more records.

Wow, that’s a genuine surprise. Must have been way bigger in the states than here.

• Wow 1

Here are the most popular songs on Spotify between the two bands:

1. Goldfinger - Superman - 110 million
2. Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons - 89 million
3. Alkaline Trio - Mercy Me - 27 million
4. Alkaline Trio - Radio - 22 million
5. Goldfinger - Here In Your Bedroom - 19 million
6. Goldfinger - Spokesman - 17 million
7. Goldfinger - Tijuana Sunrise - 16 million
8. Alkaline Trio - Calling All Skeletons - 15 million
9. Alkaline Trio - Stupid Kid - 12 million
10. Both bands have several around 8 million

Maybe Goldfinger felt more popular/successful to some of us because Superman was everywhere due to THPS, and 99 Red Balloons was everywhere even though it wasn't an official single? Definitely seems like a weird disconnect somewhere, those numbers would definitely point toward Goldfinger having way more sales but who the hell knows haha.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Maybe Goldfinger felt more popular/successful to some of us because Superman was everywhere due to THPS, and 99 Red Balloons was everywhere even though it wasn't an official single. Definitely seems like a weird disconnect somewhere, those numbers would definitely point toward Goldfinger having way more sales but who the hell knows haha.

Streaming numbers for songs released before the streaming era are always interesting.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

10 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Maybe Goldfinger felt more popular/successful to some of us because Superman was everywhere due to THPS, and 99 Red Balloons was everywhere even though it wasn't an official single? Definitely seems like a weird disconnect somewhere, those numbers would definitely point toward Goldfinger having way more sales but who the hell knows haha.

I think Goldfinger had one album sell well while Alk3 had more steady and consistent charting releases and thats where the disconnect is. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

52 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I genuinely think they are underreported or something. I just find it hard to believe they sold next to nothing when I recall the same thing.

I honestly don't care either who was more successful, they're both one off/pretty solid bands to me but it felt like Goldfinger was a lot bigger here in the States (because of all those songs on MTV/radio over Alkaline).

Or they really just got unlucky and no one wanted to buy their full albums just grab the songs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I think Goldfinger had one album sell well while Alk3 had more steady and consistent charting releases and thats where the disconnect is. 

Goldfinger had a couple good selling records, 2-3. Anyways we know it’s slow as fuck when we’re arguing between who was a bigger band between Goldfinger and Alkaline Trio 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Haha yeah I don't have strong feelings one way or the other! I was a bigger Goldfinger fan at that time, even though I'm from the midwest US I was more into that Cali/skating/beachy/sunshiney vibe haha but I dug some Alkaline Trio too. Just anecdotal and based on my own experience I guess, I somehow knew more people who had at least 1-2 of the first 4 Goldfinger CDs, while Alkaline Trio were more of a "download a few songs on Limewire for mixes" band in my little world.

Alkaline's longevity probably plays into it too though, like @Kaysaid!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Oh yeah one more weird thing that maybe affected Goldfinger a little bit back then...? I went to one of their shows in the early 00s and they were really sweet live, but in the venue they had PETA booths set up with giant signs with fucking disgusting gruesome blown up photos of dead/tortured animals and intense shaming messages about eating meat.

Props to them for believing in something so much, animal cruelty is a worthy cause and all of those photos were obviously for the greater good in their minds, but it was definitely a turnoff for anybody who was like "hey this band is cool maybe I'll go see their show and become a fan!" haha.

I can't imagine that had a HUGE effect, but it's one of the things I still remember most about their show, that's for sure. That and someone in the crowd eating a twinkie out of the drummer's butt... Clearly they were covering a lot of ground hahaha

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Oh yeah one more weird thing that maybe affected Goldfinger a little bit back then...? I went to one of their shows in the early 00s and they were really sweet live, but in the venue they had PETA booths set up with giant signs with fucking disgusting gruesome blown up photos of dead/tortured animals and intense shaming messages about eating meat.

Props to them for believing in something so much, animal cruelty is a worthy cause and all of those photos were obviously for the greater good in their minds, but it was definitely a turnoff for anybody who was like "hey this band is cool maybe I'll go see their show and become a fan!" haha.

I can't imagine that had a HUGE effect, but it's one of the things I still remember most about their show, that's for sure. That and someone in the crowd eating a twinkie out of the drummer's butt... Clearly they were covering a lot of ground hahaha

Yea Feldman was a huge vegan dickhead in the Open Your Eyes era, to the point he was calling anybody who ate meat horrible things. I think he got over it though 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah, I'm just finding out now (while trying to find the real sales numbers on them) Open Your Eyes was entirely about this.

Huh, totally missed that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Iced_Fappuccino said:

Yea Feldman was a huge vegan dickhead in the Open Your Eyes era, to the point he was calling anybody who ate meat horrible things. I think he got over it though 

Open Your Eyes is about about opening your eyes to the evils of the meat industry.  At least he's consistent?

• Like 2
  • Wow 1