Best emo song of all time - general discussion

Patient #48273

8 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Part of the fun of these competitions is arguing about whether something is really part of a particular genre. Once we get to the voting stages, the songs that don't really fit well tend to go pretty quickly.

Yeah I know, if Cotton Crush actually gets on the bracket I know it'll be an instant out but honestly listen to it and tell me it doesn't fit lol

MCR - Helena

Escape the Fate - Not Good Enough for Truth in Cliche 

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio is for Lovers

+44 - No It Isn’t 

Box Car Racer - There Is

blink-182 - I Miss You

Underoath - Reinventing Your Exit

Movements - Colorblind

Senses Fail - If There Is Light, It Will Find You

this was off the top of my head in a minute or so. Might come back with more. Definitely want to nominate at a Jimmy Eat World and Taking Back Sunday song, just not sure what to pick yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I think it's mostly that a lot of people wouldn't consider her emo enough.

Ah ok. Emo has been through so many iterations its harder to pin down than pop punk. Melancholy music with sad lyrics? But then Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel would fit into that lol.

• Like 3

Nothing really makes me more nostalgic than emo music tbh. It was such a distinct time I can remember pretty clearly everywhere I was during each drop. It's so silly looking back at some of these bands and I'm glad I had some blink on my life to counteract things. Shit was sad. Although bands like Taking Back Sunday aged really well and love them even more now, seems like they found a way to mature their sound without making their old stuff seem like a joke but also not so serious looking back on.  I see plenty already covered on here (Ohio is for Lovers - LOL) (MCR stuff, Underoath mentions)

Quintessential emo:

Taking Back Sunday - Decade Under The Influence, Great Romances 20th Century, Makedamnsure, Liar (in order if need to eliminate)

^basically any song from their first few albums are the best emo songs and Tell All Your Friends is the best emo album (although not my favorite)

The Used - Taste Of Ink, Buried Myself Alive (good job Feldmann)

MCR - I'm Not Okay, Helena

Story Of The Year - Until The Day I Die

Coheed & Cambria - A Favor House Atlantic

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio is for Lovers

Senses Fail - Can't Be Saved

Armour for Sleep - Car Underwater

30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill

Not really emo, but if they count:

Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Blink - I Miss You, Violence

^(Stockholm Syndrome, Here's Your Letter would feel kind of like cheating so not including)

Front Bottoms - Twin Sized Mattress; Modern Baseball - Fine, Great 

Alk3 - Radio, Stupid Kid, Time To Waste

Saves The Day - At Your Funeral 

Red Jumpsuit - Face Down

+44 - No It Isn't 

Hoping the finals is Decade Under The Influence vs. Helena, Until The Day I Die vs. I Miss You

I need to shower now. RIP emo, you were a time.

Alright here are my other picks:

Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence

Jimmy Eat World - For Me This Is Heaven (tbh didn't know which JEW song to pick but wanted to nominate something at least)

Dashboard Confessional - Hands Down

Brand New - Soco Amaretto Lime

Machine Gun Kelly - Emo Girl

it says emo in the title okay 😎

2 hours ago, Sk8er Prince MGK_4ever boi said:

Motion City Soundtrack is also not emo, not even in the 'maybe' emo category. They just aren't that.

They absolutely fit the wider definition of emo. Lyrically they’re as emo as they get. I get that a lot of the songs are too upbeat but a lot aren’t too. They also look like an emo band.

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Alright here are my other picks:

Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence

Jimmy Eat World - For Me This Is Heaven (tbh didn't know which JEW song to pick but wanted to nominate something at least)

Dashboard Confessional - Hands Down

Brand New - Soco Amaretto Lime

Machine Gun Kelly - Emo Girl

it says emo in the title okay 😎

I’d say his new one “god save me” is kinda emo-ish.  Lyrics at least.  Having said that MGK isn’t emo so let’s not waste a spot on him here (should have won best pop punk song still)

3 hours ago, Sk8er Prince MGK_4ever boi said:

Story Of The Year - Until The Day I Die

👆 and one more vote for Until The Day I Die.

I used to listen to that song over and over before surfing/windsurfing. Those were the days. 

• Like 1