Forgotten blink songs

M!ke

In this ever increasingly streaming world, I'm sure there are many out there that have moved to playing most or all their regular music directly through the likes of Spotify.  And that's legit, who can blame you, the vast majority of music is on there, and for a small monthly fee you get legal access to it all.  It's a great model, but it does mean that some music slips away, like b-sides, rarities, many live recordings, etc.  Now you can integrate your personal library of songs you actually own into your streaming service, but not everyone does that, and I'm not saying NOBODY remembers these songs, I'm just saying that I do believe some music is becoming more obscure than it may have originally been to begin with.

One that I've always loved, but seen next to no appreciation for over the years, is the official Tom Lord Alge Arrangement of Down, a b-side for the single release of Down, which if you haven't heard, is pretty much the single version of Down, with an interesting extra little refrain of Down Down Down at the end that hits differently than the other ways that Down, Down, Down is sang in the song:

In that same vein, they also released the James Guthrie Mix of I Miss You back then too.  Was interesting how they kinda toyed with doing more remixes and stuff back then.  But this isn't limited just to the Untitled album, it can be anything and everything like that Good Times cover or that unreleased song from the Nine sessions, Falling, etc. etc.  What's your favorite blink recording that seems to be getting forgotten with time?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

Their early material is often very overlooked, also Good Times and that Mutt demo is so sick!

Yeah, the Scott version of Mutt is something else, like a lost Dude Ranch song.  Is that one actually considered a demo though?  I think that it was like an official release on the soundtrack to some obscure movie or tv show, it certainly wasn't a part of the Enema demos that leaked back in the day (which reminds me that Life's So Boring is a fantastic instrumental that fits this thread nicely as well).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, the Scott version of Mutt is something else, like a lost Dude Ranch song.  Is that one actually considered a demo though?  I think that it was like an official release on the soundtrack to some obscure movie or tv show

It was in the surf movie “The Show” by Taylor Steele and on the soundtrack as well!

On 8/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, M!ke said:

In this ever increasingly streaming world, I'm sure there are many out there that have moved to playing most or all their regular music directly through the likes of Spotify.  And that's legit, who can blame you, the vast majority of music is on there, and for a small monthly fee you get legal access to it all.  It's a great model, but it does mean that some music slips away, like b-sides, rarities, many live recordings, etc.  Now you can integrate your personal library of songs you actually own into your streaming service, but not everyone does that, and I'm not saying NOBODY remembers these songs, I'm just saying that I do believe some music is becoming more obscure than it may have originally been to begin with.

One that I've always loved, but seen next to no appreciation for over the years, is the official Tom Lord Alge Arrangement of Down, a b-side for the single release of Down, which if you haven't heard, is pretty much the single version of Down, with an interesting extra little refrain of Down Down Down at the end that hits differently than the other ways that Down, Down, Down is sang in the song:

In that same vein, they also released the James Guthrie Mix of I Miss You back then too.  Was interesting how they kinda toyed with doing more remixes and stuff back then.  But this isn't limited just to the Untitled album, it can be anything and everything like that Good Times cover or that unreleased song from the Nine sessions, Falling, etc. etc.  What's your favorite blink recording that seems to be getting forgotten with time?

Damn, I've never heard that before.  I know it's just because it's new, but that sounds amazing to hear in 2022.   I always put Down near the bottom of tracks for that album, but it's still friggin amazing. Masterpiece album.

Also, that kinda seems like what Mark would sound like on Boxcar.  

21 hours ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, the Scott version of Mutt is something else, like a lost Dude Ranch song.  Is that one actually considered a demo though?

it's a studio track. was recorded in fall 1997 at the same session with trombino at big fish that gave us "i won't be home for xmas." those are the last two studio songs done with scott. curiously "mutt" was also the first song tracked with travis, in august 1998, well in advance of the enema sessions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saco0o said:

"fitzgerald demos for DR"
Where? GIMME

time bomb studios with warren fitzgerald of the vandals. for example the original "enthused" on the wasting time EP. but hoppus is pretty sure there was another session too, later in 1996. his cassette is from the fall:

DR-demo.jpg

there are confirmed two songs that were demoed and also made it to the big fish trombino sessions but were scrapped from dude ranch. one of them is kind of slowish and the other tom cannibalized for parts to come up with "dumpweed."

if anyone has any questions about rare / non-album tracks from 92–99 just let me know.

Good thread idea. Over the years and over the span of many different computers I’ve lost a few of the lesser known tracks. This just reminded me that I no longer have the Scott version of Mutt!

I used to really love the Down TLA arrangement. I still think it’s cool, but I haven’t listened to it in forever. One big reason it was great was that it actually properly ends instead of abruptly cutting off like the album version does if you’re listening to music on shuffle. Though the Greatest Hits version also has a proper ending.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickay said:

Has no one mentioned Don’t Tell Me That It’s Over?

Yeah, any of the TOYPAJ bonus tracks are fair game for the idea here, none of them are on Spotify.  All were solid, but of the serious songs, my favorite was always What Went Wrong?  And that's like such a genuinely fantastic blink song that it's insane that it can't be readily played in a streaming service like Spotify.