Forgotten blink songs

M!ke

20 minutes ago, Johnny Fappleseed said:

Yo what about dancing with myself? That song is dope 

i actually was gonna post that. i thought it was some odd song I had never heard back in 02 and it turned out to be a studio cover of billy idol was pretty great. another great mark and tom duet. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, thongrider said:

Before You Were Punk was released March 11. So I guess it was closer to DR than CC. 

That’s what I was kind of thinking by the sound, it sounded similar to CC but a little bit better produced, but def didn’t have that DR tone either 

1 hour ago, Johnny Fappleseed said:

@daveyjones do you know when Dancing with myself was recorded? It’s actually a pretty decent recording and the drums are solid. Was it sometime between CC and DR?

CD came out spring 97, so i'd say the recording was 1996. i have the before you were punk CD. the liner notes say recorded and mixed at doghouse studios in van nuys, california but there is no date. someone named "dan and kiley."

10 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

CD came out spring 97, so i'd say the recording was 1996. i have the before you were punk CD. the liner notes say recorded and mixed at doghouse studios in van nuys, california but there is no date. someone named "dan and kiley."

So it was with a different producer than CC ?

1 hour ago, Johnny Fappleseed said:

So it was with a different producer than CC ?

for sure. these were the two people who recorded and mixed several of the covers on that comp at that same studio in van nuys.

CC was recorded in 1994, at both westbeach recorders (mr. brett's epitaph studio) and at doubletime studios (where buddha, the short bus, and uranus songs were tracked).

9 hours ago, daveyjones said:

oh and here's the list of everything mark has digitized so far that we didn't have all the info on.
special thanks to mario for typing all this up, and to liz for pinning it.

Poway High Demo (1993, likely recorded before Flyswatter)

1. Reebok Commercial
2. Red Skies
3. Point Of View
4. Hope (Descendents Cover) [Tom]
5. Hope (Descendents Cover) (Second Version) [Tom]
6. Time
7. Alone
8. The Whale Song (Unreleased)"
9. Better Days
10. Freak Scene (Dinosaur Jr. Cover) [Mark]

21 Days Demo (July 1993, previously called "Demo #2" incorrectly)

1. Marlboro Man
2. Time
3. T.V.
4. Degenerate
5. Nipples Of Fury
6. Better Days
7. Sometimes
8. Romeo And Rebecca
9. Point Of View
10. My Pet Sally
11. Reebok Commercial
12. Lunch

Short Bus Sessions (Doubletime Studios with Jeff Forrest, ~June 1994, tape labelled as “Cheshire Cat Mid-recording”)

1. Ben Wah Balls
2. Does My Breath Smell? – Released on Short Bus and Buddha promo tape
3. Wasting Time – Released on Short Bus and Buddha promo tape
4. Voyeur (First Version)
5. Don’t

Dude Ranch Demo (we think with Warren Fitzgerald, September 1996)

1. Boring
2. Emo
3. Apple Shampoo
4. I’m Sorry
5. Dammit Dammit Sonofabitch
6. (Unreleased Track) – Parts used on Dumpweed
7. Josie – Released on Taylor Steele’s “Drifting” surf video
8. Voyeur (Second Version)
9. Untitled

Dude Ranch Sessions (Big Fish Studios with Mark Trombino, likely from before winter break, tape labelled as "Dude Ranch Mid-recording")

There are three unreleased songs: one from the Inbreed (Cheshire Cat) Westbeach sessions, the Dude Ranch demo with Warren Fitzgerald, and the Dude Ranch sessions with Mark Trombino.

Man, I'm a sucker for unreleased demos and early versions of songs.  And blink has always been one of those bands that might let us hear little bits and pieces of this kind of content, but rarely intentionally let us listen to that stuff in full unlike other bands like Jimmy Eat World or especially Weezer who are all too happy to release and share seemingly every demo they ever record.

I would love if next year they consider doing some sort of 20th anniversary deluxe release of Untitled.  We know that Asthenia alone was a very different song in its earliest days and I would love if we could hear a full version of when it was known as Shoulda Got Caught.  Surely other songs on that album have interesting demos and alternate mixes that could work in there as well. Then you know, include all the b-sides of the era (Not Now, I Miss You (James Guthrie Mix), Down (TLA Arrangment), Violence (Feeling This B-side version), Action (if such a Deluxe album didn't include a more fleshed out earlier Feeling This demo than what Action was as we got it), maybe that recording of Hope from that time, maybe Another Girl Another Planet, and then the live tracks that appeared on the various versions of Untitled and its singles internationally (Rock Show, Anthem pt 2, and Carousel live from Chicago, I Miss You and Rock Show live from Minneapolis, and Go BBC session)).  There certainly is enough content without extra stuff they haven't released to fill out such a Deluxe album, yet I know realistically we wont get anything of the like at all.

• Like 1

It’s cool to think about all these old things we’ve never heard, but it’s also weird to think there’s a lot of new stuff we’re never going to hear. Didn’t they basically scrap an entire album’s worth of new songs after NINE? I remember in a +44 interview before the band disappeared they said they had like 30+ new songs written for their second album. So many secret little things we’ll probably never hear.

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It’s cool to think about all these old things we’ve never heard, but it’s also weird to think there’s a lot of new stuff we’re never going to hear. Didn’t they basically scrap an entire album’s worth of new songs after NINE? I remember in a +44 interview before the band disappeared they said they had like 30+ new songs written for their second album. So many secret little things we’ll probably never hear.

I would suspect a good chunk of bits and pieces of those unused ideas were later used for other songs.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

It was a little annoying at the time, but in retrospect I really like that Neighborhoods feels like a combination of everything that came before. It's a blend of blink-182, Box Car Racer, +44, and Angels & Airwaves.

No Boxcar vibes whatsoever imo.  When We Were Young on DED sort of.

It only feels like blink because it's Mark Tom & Travis, but as far as anything before Neighborhoods, it really feels nothing like Enema-Self Titled, so maybe Dude Ranch at times if you had an old ass Mark & Tom doing it. 

It's an interesting album because of everything though.

1 hour ago, nerf gun belly_slut said:

It only feels like blink because it's Mark Tom & Travis, but as far as anything before Neighborhoods, it really feels nothing like Enema-Self Titled, so maybe Dude Ranch at times if you had an old ass Mark & Tom doing it. 

Yea, I always roll my eyes when people talk about the idea of a Boxcar Racer reunion or new music. Tom’s voice now would not suit BCR and it would just not make sense to do, just stick with AVA. And in my unpopular opinion, BCR didn’t age well at all anyways. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

It was a little annoying at the time, but in retrospect I really like that Neighborhoods feels like a combination of everything that came before. It's a blend of blink-182, Box Car Racer, +44, and Angels & Airwaves.

with just a spash of doodoo

On 8/15/2022 at 11:01 AM, zir Jan said:

Well Ghost on the Dancefloor, if nothing else, definitely borrows its lyrical structure from There Is.  And i dunno, Natives kinda and Up All Night had BCR vibes to them i would argue. But that's about all I can say in regards to Neighborhoods sounding much like Box Car Racer.

• 1 month later...