Can we like bother Mark a bunch on Twitter to get a 20th Anniversary Deluxe edition of Untitled next year?

M!ke

Alright, just hear me out, you know Mark, and how he is on Twitter and all that.  I feel like if enough people kept pestering him about a 20th Anniversary Edition of Untitled on social media, that maybe we could get his attention on just the idea of doing something for the 20th anniversary of Untitled next year.  Especially since they did do a 10th anniversary tour for the album a decade ago (holy shit), they know how important that album is to so many people, and I'm pretty sure they all regard it as their best album at that.  

I desperately want there to be a deluxe Weezer-style anniversary album for Untitled.  One that includes all the songs, the b-sides, alt-mixes, maybe even any unreleased songs they had back then if there were any.  

As I said elsewhere, in addition to the 14 tracks of the standard album you would get something like:

15. Not Now
16. Another Girl, Another Planet (maybe)
17. Hope (maybe)
18. I Miss You (James Guthrie Mix)
19. Down (TLA Arrangement)
20. Violence (Feeling This sinlge version)
21. Action (if a good early mix exists of this beyond the Madden '04 version that's just censored and lacks the 'Get Ready for Action' part)
22. Shoulda Got Caught (there must be some full mix of the early Asthenia that we could hear based on how much we already have)

Beyond that, international versions of the album and singles from the album included these live tracks that maybe could be on like a separate EP with such a deluxe album (or omitted entirely I suppose, they aren't integral, though I really like the Minneapolis versions):

Rock Show, Anthem pt 2, and Carousel live from Chicago
I Miss You and Rock Show live from Minneapolis
Go BBC session

I believe there were more pro recorded songs from the Chicago show that could be included too.  

But I digress, and I'm getting away with the premise here, it could just be a small selection of these extras and I'd be happy (Now Now and the I Miss You and Down alts should all definitely be included though, if nothing else).  Really I guess I'm just saying I hope they do something for the 20th anniversary of Untitled next year (again holy shit, where does time go?), even if my dumb call to action here amounts to nothing lol.

• Crab 1

Pestering Mark would amount to nothing more than annoying him and probably make him be off the idea more. Remember when people kept pestering him about playing Online Songs live and he got sick of it and just decided they’d never play it? This is what pestering him would do.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I feel like if enough people kept pestering him about a 20th Anniversary Edition of Untitled on social media, that maybe we could get his attention on just the idea of doing something for the 20th anniversary of Untitled next year.

this is a bad idea. my experience is that any time people—even playfully—gang up on him and "bug" him, he runs in the opposite direction. of course he knows that 2023 makes it twenty years.

when i asked him about the cheshire cat and dude ranch multitracks that he digitized this past spring, he emphasized that it's for personal archiving purposes and not for any deluxe edition:

"Just fyi this has nothing to do with any release or deluxe or anything else. I just wanted them for my own archives and Jake worked with the label to track them down and digitize them. Pulled out of storage. The reels baked. Digitized."

blink have demonstrated time and time and time again that they are not a backward-looking band. no deluxe editions, anniversary editions, non-album track collections, etc etc. they just don't care and it is not their thing.

the most anyone could hope for next year are some 20th full album shows like they did for enema in 2019. but i wouldn't hold your breath.

10 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Pestering Mark would amount to nothing more than annoying him and probably make him be off the idea more. Remember when people kept pestering him about playing Online Songs live and he got sick of it and just decided they’d never play it? This is what pestering him would do.

They do need to play Online Songs though. Untitled and Enema have both gotten anniversary treatments. Maybe TOYPAJ will get some 25th anniversary attention.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

key bit of history in that post: "The album was fairly controversial at the time and our review at release time led to nearly 300 comments."

i've tried to convey this before, but a great many longer-time fans, myself included, really disliked untitled when it dropped. only people who were eleven years old at the time consider it some kind of masterpiece.

• Crab 1

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

key bit of history in that post: "The album was fairly controversial at the time and our review at release time led to nearly 300 comments."

i've tried to convey this before, but a great many longer-time fans, myself included, really disliked untitled when it dropped. only people who were eleven years old at the time consider it some kind of masterpiece.

I can stomach it better today than I did then but it’s still lower rung for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

Everyone who was a fan when the album came out remembers that it was polarizing. It's just that a lot of the people who hated it stopped being fans and aren't particularly involved in blink spaces anymore.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

Many fans still consider it a masterpiece for some reason. I am not one of those fans lol