One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

26 minutes ago, boxelder said:

mark said on discord they’ve been working in secret for months.

i really was not anticipating in any sense that tom would be back right now — i thought it’d be another year or two. to have a whole new album and single ready? it’s flooring me. i will say that based on the clips, and forgive me for this, that it kind of sounds like more of the same. the lyrics aren’t anything different than what you might find on feldmann-era blink, travis’s drums have that same sterile tone they’ve had on everything since 2016, and tom sounds predictably pretty weird. i’ll save any more thoughts for its leak,

but honestly, i don’t really mind it. i’m just happy that they’re all together again. it’s been too long and it only feels right that tom is involved. i don’t really care what the music sounds like… if it’s good, i’ll be ecstatic. if it’s bad, i’ll nod my head and buy the record. i love this band. and i’m so glad they’re back. 

This seems like it was the best way to do it (haven't heard enough of the music yet, obviously) but in secret and then just throw it on us, was genius-like.  Probably helped Tom & Mark too to not have those massive expectations/pressure and to just write (hopefully).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vote Ghent said:

This is the best version to listen to so far:

https://vocaroo.com/1gJLuKigUaDD?fbclid=IwAR2dnR3ed9BraQCXwh5G0oN3p8MOXGHdQYSUKJI0hL3ECDg5WRIGhT9vbjg

I'm starting to like it more, but this has to leak before Friday or I will have it ruined either way. 1/3 of the song is out. Release it ffs

Why did this sound 10X better?    

Definitely ruined this song for myself before friday, but that's okay.  I've learned in the modern days time, anticipation/ruining it and getting expectations far too high is part of the process and/or fun.  

In that clip, at least, it sounded way more like a 'vintage' Tom (as close as we could expect at current age)

Hoping this is just like a later track thrown in to their 30 piece epic of all prime time Mark/Tom songs and their After midnight of the new stuff.

• Love 1

Again, premature, but basically my reaction to post-Untitled blink is this:

Neighborhoods: "Oh god, somethings off, they just don't seem to have it anymore"

Current: "Oh, god, somethings off, they just don't seem to have it anymore. BUT THAT'S OKAY :cool:"

(Neighborhoods is still my shit, aged well)

• Like 1

Just now, wannabe corn dog said:

tom's vocals sound a bit raw and flawed while mark comes in super processed feldmann style. blends weirdly. that's my only complaint so far. 

I noticed that too … that’s why I’m thinking that they are still mixing and mastering.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, boxelder said:

but honestly, i don’t really mind it. i’m just happy that they’re all together again. it’s been too long and it only feels right that tom is involved. i don’t really care what the music sounds like… if it’s good, i’ll be ecstatic. if it’s bad, i’ll nod my head and buy the record. i love this band. and i’m so glad they’re back. 

Totally agree with your whole post. I'm not sure if anyone else is a big RHCP fan but there's a big parallel happening right now after John Frusciante re-joined the band after like 14 years away.

They put out a double album in the spring called Unlimited Love, (and have ANOTHER double album coming out this Friday). Unlimited Love wasn't a masterpiece, but it felt SO GOOD to hear those guys playing together again, 30+ years after their "classic lineup" started. They're on a much different hippie-dippie wavelength than Blink, they'll gush about each other and talk about how their spirits are interlocked in love and all this stuff haha but when they play together you can feel that those relationships are still totally genuine, and they really do just love to create together. Their brotherhood was a big part of their appeal, just like it was for Blink.

That RHCP album won't go down as a classic, it kinda redid a lot of their old reliable tricks, but when you listen to it you can sense that they were just fully being themselves and having a great time together. Not trying to be relevant in the biz, not trying to score a big hit, not even trying to evolve or reinvent themselves at this point, just reconnecting after a looooong career and remembering why they do what they do. That is what I hope from this era of Blink. I don't expect a classic album at all, I just truly want to see that they love to play music together again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

tom's vocals sound a bit raw and flawed while mark comes in super processed feldmann style. blends weirdly. that's my only complaint so far. 

I honestly didn't even notice Mark in the chorus until I read this. Thought it was all Tom

2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I noticed that too … that’s why I’m thinking that they are still mixing and mastering.

studioexecspeedo

Hopeful though.  That Mark part seems off.  It is coming Friday though?  Is that enough time to turnaround and make distributable?  

3 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Totally agree with your whole post. I'm not sure if anyone else is a big RHCP fan but there's a big parallel happening right now after John Frusciante re-joined the band after like 14 years away.

They put out a double album in the spring called Unlimited Love, (and have ANOTHER double album coming out this Friday). Unlimited Love wasn't a masterpiece, but it felt SO GOOD to hear those guys playing together again, 30+ years after their "classic lineup" started. They're on a much different hippie-dippie wavelength than Blink, they'll gush about each other and talk about how their spirits are interlocked in love and all this stuff haha but when they play together you can feel that those relationships are still totally genuine, and they really do just love to create together. Their brotherhood was a big part of their appeal, just like it was for Blink.

That RHCP album won't go down as a classic, it kinda redid a lot of their old reliable tricks, but when you listen to it you can sense that they were just fully being themselves and having a great time together. Not trying to be relevant in the biz, not trying to score a big hit, not even trying to evolve or reinvent themselves at this point, just reconnecting after a looooong career and remembering why they do what they do. That is what I hope from this era of Blink. I don't expect a classic album at all, I just truly want to see that they love to play music together again.

I could see this album being like therapy a bit for Mark + Tom and then have another EP or something again that is even more fine tuned.  We'll see though.  They seem pretty excited about the whole thing.  Makes me think there are at least a couple hits in there that even caught them by surprise.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I really enjoyed Unlimited Love, probably me my favorite album of the summer. Flea says this upcoming one is even better.

RHCP with Klinghoffer just plain sucked. They didn't even have any popular songs or anything interesting going on. Blink with Skiba was way more successful, at least on California. Nine flopped though commercially, so that's probably why the Skiba era needed to come to an end.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vote jan free for all thre said:

studioexecspeedo

Hopeful though.  That Mark part seems off.  It is coming Friday though?  Is that enough time to turnaround and make distributable?  

I have ears and they work. You couple that with a limited understanding of the process of music production and it isn’t hard to get the gist of things.

The clips they posted were probably made a while back. So, who knows … if they were only looking to release the one song then it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. AvA did it when they were releasing songs … the album versions sounded a bit different than what was original released as singles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vote Ghent said:

I really enjoyed Unlimited Love, probably me my favorite album of the summer. Flea says this upcoming one is even better.

RHCP with Klinghoffer just plain sucked. They didn't even have any popular songs or anything interesting going on. Blink with Skiba was way more successful, at least on California. Nine flopped though commercially, so that's probably why the Skiba era needed to come to an end.

I am shocked to report that KlinghofferRHCP had two #1 songs?? I don't know how tf Billboard charts work anymore but Dark Necessities and Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie both hit #1 on one chart or another. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vote Ghent said:

Fleas bass playing was on another level on the new album too, just insanely good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vote jan free for all thre said:

I could see this album being like therapy a bit for Mark + Tom and then have another EP or something again that is even more fine tuned.  We'll see though.  They seem pretty excited about the whole thing.  Makes me think there are at least a couple hits in there that even caught them by surprise.

I like this line of thinking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Champ182 said:

I am shocked to report that KlinghofferRHCP had two #1 songs?? I don't know how tf Billboard charts work anymore but Dark Necessities and Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie both hit #1 on one chart or another. 

Yeah that's pretty surprising but they did get played a lot upon release come to think of it. Those albums are really boring though lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vote Ghent said:

Yeah that's pretty surprising but they did get played a lot upon release come to think of it. Those albums are really boring though lol

Totally! I was almost as much of an RHCP fan as Blink fan growing up, but those albums just came and went in my life (there is no RHCP-online.com to keep me engaged in their world haha). But that's kinda how I viewed the Skiba era, just like eh, it's not the same band it's pretty boring, whatever it was a good run while it lasted.

Now that Frusciante is back and I just have so much more curiosity and trust as a fan, I'll follow them through whatever happens because they're THE GUYS who I have all the memories and history with. Exact same with Tom.

• Like 2
  • Love 1