One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

I don't wanna go down this fucking rabbit hole (ha) but my issue has always been that they used other peoples' song ideas as Blink songs. Clearly they're going to use some producers/co-writers to throw in their two cents from now on, whatever. I won't care as much if the origin of the song and the creative control come from the 3 members of the band.

The reason many of us got the impression that outsiders were steering the direction of Blink songs during the Skiba era is because of countless pop songwriters whose influence was clear and prominent (does anyone really think IRWIHY was the brainchild of Mark, Travis, or Skiba?), and because of direct quotes like these:

"The very first song idea that John came up with was for the first single, ‘Bored To Death’ and he thought it’d be cool if it has this classic Blink 182 riff at the beginning." - Zakk Cervini, engineer of California

"This demo inevitably turned into HEAVEN on NINE - Blink 182 album. It was a small piece of a 45 minute jam / writing session with my friend Chris Greatti." - Travis's caption of the "Heaven" guitar/drums demo

"My idea for the song was very much, 'let's throw everything and the kitchen sink at it.' Let's do everything I can think of that reminds me of classic Blink: the guitar riffs, the kind of hip-hop/drum and bass songs, the half-time choruses like in 'Stay Together for the Kids,' I had all these ideas and we threw them into one song." - John Feldmann

If it turns out that this album was written in the same way, I will be bummed and disappointed. I don't think there's any reason to think that's the case though.

• Like 5

I’ve got a horrible feeling the album will be a steaming pile of shit. I never thought Tom would make a California or Nine but I have a feeling the new stuff will sound more like those albums than Neighbourhoods/AVA. A whole album of Edging would be so disappointing. We need to hear song clips or something ffs I need to be put at ease. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Scott. said:

I’ve got a horrible feeling the album will be a steaming pile of shit. I never thought Tom would make a California or Nine but I have a feeling the new stuff will sound more like those albums than Neighbourhoods/AVA. A whole album of Edging would be so disappointing. We need to hear song clips or something ffs I need to be put at ease. 

Exactly… they need to tease us with something good and exciting. The I Miss You/Down/Asthenia of the record…

Edging is such a throw away song lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scott. said:

My expectation is that it will be a California but w/ Tom.  Which is still better, and I'm sure a few moments in there will hit the feels, but nothing that will truly resonate for years to come..

I'll definitely take it, still a fun time, but I definitely do feel they're too past their prime/in for fan service over providing any deep material that the hardcore fans want.

Unless this album sells a million...then I could see some more progressive EP or something.

If proven wrong, this will be a life long memory though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maddey said:

I don’t think there is any way they could make something I dislike more than California so I’m all at ease. I’ll take whatever they come up with. 

Yea exactly. Even though I’ve trashed Cali and N9ne a little bit (not as much as some others), there were still enjoyable songs on each album. I’m sure we will get some good songs with this new record too. I def don’t believe it will be their best album ever though lol 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maddey said:

I don’t think there is any way they could make something I dislike more than California so I’m all at ease. I’ll take whatever they come up with. 

Totally. I’m good with whatever at this point. I’m not gonna put the next blink album up against my favorite records from 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I am kinda worried for this album. 

With Edging kinda being a continuation of the previous sound, Travis producing, pics of Tom recording on his sig guitars(he normally rarely uses his own guitar as it's really not that great for an album sound)

I hope I'm wrong but I'm wondering how much staying power this album will actually have 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Knapppers said:

I am kinda worried for this album. 

With Edging kinda being a continuation of the previous sound, Travis producing, pics of Tom recording on his sig guitars(he normally rarely uses his own guitar as it's really not that great for an album sound)

I hope I'm wrong but I'm wondering how much staying power this album will actually have 

Everything thing is digital, I doubt they’re doing much mic’ing of amps anymore. At this point you can record using whatever guitar you want, record it effect free and shape it however it fits.

• Like 2

It's hard to think I should get worried about not liking some music written by blink with Mark and Tom in the band because the only blink songs I don't love are just two or three out of all their discography with Tom. 

Unless they brought a bunch of songwriters in, to the point that it doesn't even feel like a song written by Mark and/or Tom, then yes, I'd get mad, but now I have no reason to believe I will be disappointed. 

• Like 6

Listened to California for the first time in a bit yesterday. Definitely one of blink’s top albums overall. Top 3?

I think I’ve been subconsciously underrating it to please all the haters. 

• Haha 4
  • Crab 1

13 minutes ago, Ghunt said:

Listened to California for the first time in a bit yesterday. Definitely one of blink’s top albums overall. Top 3?

You’re entitled to your opinion, regardless of how shitty it may be. 

• Like 1

People love to hate on California.  And hey I get it, it's not a classic blink album by any means, Tom isn't there, Matt is instead, they didn't write their own songs, their new producer is as hands on or even more so as Jerry Finn but he is no Jerry Finn.  I totally get it.  And there are songs in there that I'm not crazy about.  However at the end of the day when all is said and done, I do overall enjoy the listen from start to finish.  I don't regularly go back to it like Untitled or even Nine, but there's enough there for me to say, yeah I like the album, its far from the best thing to ever be released under the blink-182 name, but also not something I'd say ruins the band in any real way, I'd give it like a B-/C+, I'm more pleased that we did get it than if we had got nothing instead while Tom was gone.  And of course, for me, Nine is fantastic, that's the album that made me very happy that more music under the blink name was still being released, and got me a little excited for what might have come next with Skiba.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghunt said:

California is better than Untitled 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Crab 1

I am honestly not expecting to enjoy the album much.

I didn’t enjoy much of California, I didnt enjoy any of Nine, I only liked half of AVAs last record and I don’t like basically any of Travis’s side bits.

I will be absolutely shocked if I genuinely enjoy a quarter of the record they put out.

My expectations are on the floor regarding the new record, but I don’t care - I am just happy theyre working together, they’re friends again, and they’re touring again. 

I would keep expectations low and just hope for one or two “pretty good” songs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ghunt said:

I think it's mostly garbage but Sober is honestly an amazing song