One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

I never listened to Paramore when they were a pop punk band because I had pretty much moved on from the genre by that point, but then I really liked Ain't It Fun as like a guilty pleasure groovy pop song, and then I fucking LOVED After Laughter. The new songs seem to be more experimental, I really like the song This Is Why, I'll definitely be checking out the album.

I don't really care how they started as teens, they seem to have evolved in a really cool and artistic way. They could've easily just jumped on the PoP pUnX nOt DeAd!! bandwagon for the last 10 years and had a fine run, but they're shooting for something more interesting and I dig it.

• Like 3

I could never get into Paramore. I tried giving their more recent stuff a listen but it's just not for me. I feel like AVA did that 80's vibe a bit better on Lifeforms with some of their songs.

Busted went that route when Charlie Simpson came back and I applauded them for it, since I can't stand the manufactured pop punk/pop rock stuff. I do admit I have some guilty pleasures from these kinda bands haha. I still couldn't get into that 80's sound Busted did though, except their song called New York. Great song

I love 80's music like the Cure and Queen's stuff from the 80's. The Cars have some great songs. But there's just something that these bands have in their songs that Paramore don't have. I dunno what exactly

Misery Business will always be a fucking bop though. Great song. I like a couple of songs from one of the albums that Ilan Rubin was the drummer on too

8 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I never listened to Paramore when they were a pop punk band because I had pretty much moved on from the genre by that point, but then I really liked Ain't It Fun as like a guilty pleasure groovy pop song, and then I fucking LOVED After Laughter. The new songs seem to be more experimental, I really like the song This Is Why, I'll definitely be checking out the album.

I don't really care how they started as teens, they seem to have evolved in a really cool and artistic way. They could've easily just jumped on the PoP pUnX nOt DeAd!! bandwagon for the last 10 years and had a fine run, but they're shooting for something more interesting and I dig it.

The “manufactured” thing doesn’t bother me when you actually look into how they got together, it is not the same as a fuckingg boy band lol

and yeah, they were kids. They’re now older, talented musicians and it fucking shows. They easily could’ve just milked the pop punk thing but instead they just make what they want to fucking make.

I had no interest in Paramore growing up, had a similar mindset to Diddy (because I was a teen) I grew out of that and when After Laughter dropped my wife had it on and I was like “fuck me this is a jam” and that album was my entire spotify wrapped that year and the year after.

The new stuff is different again, and still sounds fucking cool.

I admire any band going “fuck it ima do what I want” whether I like the outcome or not, they’re being true to themselves and writing what they feel like. Thats the real shit right there.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Crab 1

The weird thing is I want different things for different bands. With blink-182 I love when they try new things and play with totally different sounds or genres. with other bands that I like but don't care as much about I never want them to change musically lol

so it feels funny saying I wish Paramore stayed pop punk forever while at the same time desperately wanting blink-182 to make big changes to their sound. But that's how my brain works! I don't get it either!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

The weird thing is I want different things for different bands. With blink-182 I love when they try new things and play with totally different sounds or genres. with other bands that I like but don't care as much about I never want them to change musically lol

so it feels funny saying I wish Paramore stayed pop punk forever while at the same time desperately wanting blink-182 to make big changes to their sound. But that's how my brain works! I don't get it either!

I have this issue with a lot of bands too haha

Bands like Offspring or NFG or Yellowcard I get bored of easily as they never really moved away from their typical sound. You could argue NFG did it with their Coming Home album or YC with their last album but I just wasn't keen (although I never really gave Coming Home a chance)

Then there's bands like Weezer who I wish stayed with their early 90's sound. Simple Plan is another band I hope kinda stays the same. Their last album was solid, I hated it when they tried to go more electronic or whatever. Then bands like AFI and Sum 41 I've always loved that they change nearly every album. The Wonder Years are another band I love simply because they just do whatever they want.

i'm okay with bands changing up their sound, as long as they keep their tube amps.

for real though, i feel very similiar about most bands, some bands just have a sound i don't get tired of and i just wish there would be more records with that same sound. Sometimes bands change, and i love the new direction, sometimes i don't. i always prefer a band who changes up their sound though. i might not like the new direction, but at least they don't settle with the easy way.

I absolutely fell in love with tegan and sara with their "The Con" and "Sainthood" records. after that they went hyperproduced pop anthems and i against my expectations loved it just as much. two records later they switched their sound up again with their newest reord "crybaby" which doesn't do anything for me. kinda bummed out about that, but atleast they are still trying to progress, maybe i'll like their next style change more.

As for paramore, i was very into them in the riot days but grew out of thatt phase rather quickly, so i'm super excited that somehow my new preferences in music and their new direction line up again. Good songs are always good songs though, regardless of the style. Also Zac Farro is probably my favorite drummer of all time. the stuff he's playing since after laughter is insanely catchy and creative. i wish travis was still hungry like that

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm so confused by this discussion.  I always thought Paramore was juts a solid band that everyone liked enough, but no one really loved or anything to care anymore than that.  People actually care this much? 

They were always a cool band to me, yes the female vocalist is part of why, there wasn't a great 'pop punk' band with one, they kind of hit that and then had a newer sound that worked. 

Now, I never really listened to them recently, but they never were a band I planned to follow for 10+ years anyways. 

Paramore is chill, love some of their songs.

@FAP @FAP @FAP @FAP @FAP 

8 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

This is kind of an odd paradox.  I wonder if people feel this way from a casual perspective towards blink, and why California, even though being wildly different to us hardcores, was so successful still.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jan_the_bodybuilder said:

I'm so confused by this discussion.  I always thought Paramore was juts a solid band that everyone liked enough, but no one really loved or anything to care anymore than that.  People actually care this much? 

They were always a cool band to me, yes the female vocalist is part of why, there wasn't a great 'pop punk' band with one, they kind of hit that and then had a newer sound that worked. 

Now, I never really listened to them recently, but they never were a band I planned to follow for 10+ years anyways. 

Paramore is chill, love some of their songs.

@FAP @FAP @FAP @FAP @FAP 

Thup?

I don't know how big they got outside of Canada, but Billy Talent has been the best of still sounding consistent over many albums but still having great songs. They have songs off every album that I love but yet don't sound repetitive. 

• Like 1

Oh hey look, there are still professional acts that care about the integrity of tone and sound and still real use amps! And before I hear any automatic disqualifications because this guy played in Creed, Mark Tremonti is a far superior guitarist to any member in any bands that get talked about around here. And Creed>Paramore without a doubt anyways!

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/mark-tremonti-kemper?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=guitar-world&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1l2iupPkOr-n4ndK16E9SZypzOvC7RC8Vb9S28A0OK4_a5_a_T1qrVX6g&mibextid=l066kq

• Crab 4

Never understood the creed hate. They have some solid tunes. 

Fun fact, if anyone knows the comedian Bert Kreischer, he played in a band/was replaced by Tremonti in high school or college, can't remember which one. 

• Wow 1

5 minutes ago, Knapppers said:

Never understood the creed hate. They have some solid tunes. 

Fun fact, if anyone knows the comedian Bert Kreischer, he played in a band/was replaced by Tremonti in high school or college, can't remember which one. 

That’s wild, I can’t see Bert playing an instrument at all