One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

3 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah this is kinda how I feel too, which might be kinda hypocritical after my criticisms of Cali/Deluxe/Nine, but whatever haha.

I think right now, in their late 40s, after almost 20 years of off-and-on bullshit and strife and health scares, after successfully raising their kids, it seems like they FINALLY figured out how to reconnect as people and have fun together again. That wasn't the case during the first reunion, not often enough anyway. I think Tom was still more nuts at that time and there were still plenty of hurt feelings and insecurities.

If this new re-connection leads to some happy-go-lucky tunes that are on the poppy side, I get it. It might not be exactly what I crave nowadays, but as long as it comes from their minds and feels authentic I'll be totally happy with what we get. I don't think they're really capable of blowing our minds with deep dark emotions anymore anyway, I don't think that's ever been their M.O. outside of like 3-4 years of their careers, so I'm down to just have some fun with my old friends.

Champ182 once again the voice of reason.

• Like 1

I dunno, it seemed like they were going for some darker emotions with some of the songs in Nine and the deluxe side of California (not that they were all homeruns, but there was certainly more than just pop songs when Matt came around).  Heck, they went for darker songs with much of Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs, which were slightly before and slightly after respectively a decade from Box Car (which is where I'd say any of them first ventured for real into the darker stuff, at least with consistency, TOYPAJ did have a couple of songs too), so I'd say that kind of music has interested them for far more than 3-4 years of their careers.  And I really really doubt they have no interest in that kind of music at all anymore, I mean Angels and Airwaves is not exactly a happy-go-lucky endeavor, though I would say it's mostly uplifting.  Having said that, if they do turn in the equivalent of California (vanilla) but with Tom, I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is, I don't personally have any major problems with that album, but it's also far from my favorite.  Heck, I'd be more interested in a modern Dude Ranch kind of album, it doesn't have to be dark and moody, but another by-the-books pop-punk album is the least interesting version of the next album that I'd like to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Its a me, Speedo said:

I just want some decent songs, I’ll take any style. 

Same, I don’t really care what style they go with or even the general mood as long as it’s good and sounds like blink. I don’t want bad AVA songs that Mark and Travis have tried to salvage. Hopefully they’re past that if they are actually working together and getting along now.

Will be interesting. I still have a feeling it’s going to be really good. I like that they aren’t talking much about it still. I have no idea what to expect and that makes it more exciting and less likely to disappoint. 

• Like 7

Same here. We'll see, but as long as they are good songs, and they don't mess with production, I'm fine.

What I have pretty clear for now is that their prime, their absolute prime, would've been if they worked together in BCR (added to TOYPAJ era), and if they would've been able to make something together when the first split happened (in other words, if that hiatus never happened). As I've said several times, can you imagine BCR, +44 and AVA being worked as blink? Woah. That was their absolute peak as musicians: since TOYPAJ-BCR to the first AVA album (goingh through +44).

Judging by how Tom made Chasing shadows, Lifeforms, Odds and Blink have made a few nice songs with Nine, new record should be at least not garbage. But they will fuck it up with the heavy pop production and what could be a great song will sound like crap. Guarantee you, half of sounds, layers will be drowned, guitars will be low as fuck cause of Aaron team. 

Releasing albums like +44, bcr, in 2023 would be a total disaster, they are great don't get me wrong, but they are really outdated. Blink  definitely will keep up with modern uproach, so i expect them to write songs like timebomb, losing my mind, just like ava did. 

Since Untitled blink have been a bit of a paradox: if the albums (even the side projects) contained serious, dark music, when they went on tour they kept their image of fools and all their toilet humour.
I still prefer the more serious version of their music, and it would seem strange right now to see a poppy album from them: after all, Mark has had cancer and Tom has just had a divorce, so I imagine they would have inspiration for serious and sad music .
On the other hand, it would not surprise me that the form of reaction to these events is - this time - different, not necessarily reflective or sad. Perhaps, with maturity, they realized that in the face of life's hardships (the same ones that had inspired the creative process that led to Untitled) the most important thing is simply to celebrate life (and their new-found friendship). It is therefore not said that a poppy album is synonymous with a commercial choice.

Furthermore, I am convinced that, in the presence of upbeat music, we will still see angry or obscure lyrics, a bit like what happened with Neighborhoods.

What I'd like to see today would be a fast album, going back to the skate punk matrix of the Californian tradition. Age isn't a problem: bands like Pennywise or Ill Repute are still incredibly fast, and they're even older than blink.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

No matter what, there will be some audio doofs in here saying how weak the production is though. Acting like they could do better or know more about it. That's a tale as old as time

it already happened with people complaining about Travis' drums on Edging lol.

6 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

it already happened with people complaining about Travis' drums on Edging lol.

Could not tell you the difference or care much between Enema-Self Titled, but I could tell you, for whatever reason Travis' drums really annoy the heck out of me in California, and I don't care what the reasons are, it just sounds overly loud/distracting.  Not a deal breaker for every song, but more than noticeable enough change from everything prior on blink.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ghent said:

No matter what, there will be some audio doofs in here saying how weak the production is though. Acting like they could do better or know more about it. That's a tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme?

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Anyone can comment on the production style (assuming they have legitimate points about how it sounds). Are you really trying to criticize people who subjectively interpret and/or criticize art differently than you do? If so, this kind of makes you look like a retarded fanboy 

• Like 3