One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

Just now, JarJarBlinks said:

My hot take is that the improvisations are never really that good yet the fanbase blows their load for them lol.

Yeah that is true. Most of his improvisations are him just skipping certain parts or replacing them with octave chords or strumming less. It's weird. It's like he's lazy then he'll add a cool part in the bridge or outro of the song or something.

7 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Listen to the videos back in 2011 before the actual release of After Midnight lol

He doesn't play whats in the real bridge at all. He's always improvising. Does it in I Miss You too

You know they plan and practice those “improvisations” out, right? I know what you’re talking about with I Miss You, they did it with Rock Show, sometimes the end of Down. It’s always the same thing…not really improvising

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grilliam Shatner said:

You know they plan and practice those “improvisations” out, right? I know what you’re talking about with I Miss You, they did it with Rock Show, sometimes the end of Down. It’s always the same thing…not really improvising

Yeah, that's my whole point. I still call it improvisation even if they're planned tbh but I agree it's not really improvisation if it's planned either. I just didn't know another word for it

I felt what they did live with After Midnight was better than the studio version. It sounded like After Midnight was gonna be this song with the stadium rock vibes that they were talking about regarding that album haha. It ended up being kinda boring and generic

The song ended up being up there with one of my favourites though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, that's my whole point. I still call it improvisation even if they're planned tbh but I agree it's not really improvisation if it's planned either. I just didn't know another word for it

I felt what they did live with After Midnight was better than the studio version. It sounded like After Midnight was gonna be this song with the stadium rock vibes that they were talking about regarding that album haha. It ended up being kinda boring and generic

The song ended up being up there with one of my favourites though

For sure, I’ll go check it out and see what you mean 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grilliam Shatner said:

For sure, I’ll go check it out and see what you mean 

It's basically just the most simple lead guitar part ever really but I like it. I guess it has more AVA vibes that you can hear on songs like Some Origins of Fire or something, but I think it sounds better than the clean guitar bridge we got

17 minutes ago, RELEASE SOMETHING said:

Only thing I've ever thought was cool was the extended Rock Show or WMAA bridge.  Can't even remember which one at this point.

I used to like this one too:

And the little intro here: 

• Like 3

My hot take: Our boys desperately need a new sound.

Early 90s: crappy punk rock - They owned that shit.

Late 90s to early 2000s: pop punk - They owned that shit.

2003: experimental punk rock? - They owned that shit.

Late 2000s: more of previous era. Was okay but still kinda weak sauce - Didn’t own that shit.

2016 to 2019: more rehashing but this time from two eras ago. It was alright - Didn’t own that shit. 

2023: Edging (so far). Expanding on the stuff from the previous era? Which was on itself a re-take on their previous sound??

Come at me dawg! 🕺💃

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Late 2000s: more of previous era. Was okay but still kinda weak sauce - Didn’t own that shit.

2016 to 2019: more rehashing but this time from two eras ago. It was alright - Didn’t own that shit. 

2023: Edging (so far). Expanding on the stuff from the previous era? Which was on itself a re-take on their previous sound??

Come at me dawg! 🕺💃

2022: glam rock

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

It's basically just the most simple lead guitar part ever really but I like it. I guess it has more AVA vibes that you can hear on songs like Some Origins of Fire or something, but I think it sounds better than the clean guitar bridge we got

Yea I just peeped it, and you’re right, that was pretty cool actually 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Come at me dawg! 🕺💃

to be fair I think they didn't "own" it could be because they replaced a founder of the band with a new guy who was trying to respect the legacy. 

California is a top 4 blink album still.  COME AT ME! #letmecallyouwhenimsober

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Come at me dawg! 🕺💃

Haha I'm with you. I said it awhile ago and stand by it - I think a logical direction for modern Blink would be to incorporate some 80s new wave vibes. We know they loved some of those super melodic pop bands like The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, etc. growing up. It's in their DNA, but they haven't dug deep into that sound very often. I think it would end up feeling fresh and "progressive" but still super catchy and recognizably Blink

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Haha I'm with you. I said it awhile ago and stand by it - I think a logical direction for modern Blink would be to incorporate some 80s new wave vibes. We know they loved some of those super melodic pop bands like The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, etc. growing up. It's in their DNA, but they haven't dug deep into that sound very often. I think it would end up feeling fresh and "progressive" but still super catchy and recognizably Blink

Ugh I just can’t stand this electronic new wave shit. They should go back to their skate punk roots, fuck it, bring back Scott 

• Wow 1

22 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I'd love it if they had more of that Refused stuff they slightly delved into like on the verses of Violence and the bridge of Obvious or the riff of Snake Charmer

I always felt like they did the new wave 80's stuff way more than the heavier Refused kinda stuff. I guess that was more for Boxcar Racer though haha

2 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Come at me dawg! 🕺💃

I would agree but in 2012 - DED happened - owned that shit , minus fucking Yellawolf . People make mistakes though. Lol

• Haha 1