One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

3 hours ago, Kay said:

the 80s vibe isn't exactly cutting edge, everyone and their mums is doing it now. 

I agree most artists are doing it nowadays, but it seems to lean more towards the disco pop stuff from the 80's rather than all that post punk/new wave stuff

I haven't heard many pop punk bands do that type of music in general tbh. Blink, AFI and Alkaline Trio seem to be the only ones that have delved into it in the last 20 years really

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grilliam Shatner said:

Ugh I just can’t stand this electronic new wave shit.

3 hours ago, Kay said:

the 80s vibe isn't exactly cutting edge, everyone and their mums is doing it now. 

26 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I agree most artists are doing it nowadays, but it seems to lean more towards the disco pop stuff from the 80's

Yeah I'm definitely not talking about dancey 80s music or, god forbid, attempts at electronic pop shit like IRWIHY, I'm talking specifically about the bands I mentioned who made super melodic, super guitar riffy, anthemic, yearning, poppy rock music. (All those adjectives also apply to the best Blink stuff too.)

If you squint hard enough and throw in some bombastic drums, I feel like any of these could exist as Blink songs in an alternate universe haha:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I would say they already dabbled with the 80's stuff on Neighborhoods?

Definitely, I think GOTDF, After Midnight, This Is Home, all fit a little bit into that direction.

Plus "Always" was literally called "80s Song" while they were making Untitled haha.

So yeah, it wouldn't be a massive jump or anything like that. I'd just like to see them veer toward those influences even more rather than trying to recapture their own sound from the 00s.

• Like 1

hard hard agree on the new wave push, would love to see more of it. its definitely a natural push for them at this point, even if it may be passé. always is my fav blink song, and i’ve always liked other keyboard heavy moments throughout their discographies (dream walker, 155, GOTDF, etc).

• Like 1

Would be pretty lame. Tom has been messing with that for over a decade with AVA and it mostly stinks. Blink has already explored it as well.

I'm down with a new sound, but that ain't it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Would be pretty lame. Tom has been messing with that for over a decade with AVA and it mostly stinks. Blink has already explored it as well.

I'm down with a new sound, but that ain't it

Yeah I hear ya. It's hard to describe what I mean I guess, but I definitely don't want more AVA U2 spacey audioscape junk either haha.

• Like 1

If they do manage to create any kind of new sound it will be impressive considering they are old men now. There aren't many bands pushing the envelope in any successful way at that age. Usually they become greatest hits versions of their prime or they start releasing super lame odd ball shit that no one cares about.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, theedge00 said:

My hot take: Our boys desperately need a new sound.

Early 90s: crappy punk rock - They owned that shit.

Late 90s to early 2000s: pop punk - They owned that shit.

2003: experimental punk rock? - They owned that shit.

Late 2000s: more of previous era. Was okay but still kinda weak sauce - Didn’t own that shit.

2016 to 2019: more rehashing but this time from two eras ago. It was alright - Didn’t own that shit. 

2023: Edging (so far). Expanding on the stuff from the previous era? Which was on itself a re-take on their previous sound??

Come at me dawg! 🕺💃

My take:

Cheshire Cat: punk rock

Dude Ranch: skate punk

Enema: pop-punk

TOYPAJ: dark pop-punk

Box Car Racer: emocore

Untitled: alternative rock

Plus 44: electronic punk

AvA: space rock

Neighborhoods/DED: new wave punk

California/Nine: new school pop-punk

TBD 2023: R&B punk. The album will contain a cover of I've Been Loving You Too Long  by Otis Redding and a Stevie Wonder's feature. On the cover of the LP, the three guys in blink will rock their new afro hairstyles.

Do people honestly think they're gonna come out with a new sound? There's is zero chance they take any huge leaps with the direction of their music on this album. It's gonna sound like Lifeforms songs that are more straight up punky/rocky mixed in with Marks influence. We're not going to be surprised by anything. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I hope we get songs like this masterpiece.

So nEw WaVe

Can't believe he was pumped on that song and was intending to use it for blink. Yikes!

• Haha 1