One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

7 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

I did say it was dope but…

Neighbourhoods doesn’t count cause that was Tom being a cunt. Isn’t the case now.

I think it’s just like @Elisasaid. Rubin implied they were recording/writing for a while before the announcement. They also had no need to give us a deadline and doubt they would’ve unless they were quite closer to teaching it.

I’m apparently a Tom bot and don’t think that was Tom being a cunt it was Tom being Tom. The guy has been the same way for 20 years. Doesn’t change just because he’s seemingly enthusiastic now. He’s still running the to the stars scam which imo is reprehensible

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NotNow said:

I’m apparently a Tom bot and don’t think that was Tom being a cunt it was Tom being Tom. The guy has been the same way for 20 years. Doesn’t change just because he’s seemingly enthusiastic now. He’s still running the to the stars scam which imo is reprehensible

I feel neighbourhoods Tom and now Tom seem very different at least in their attitudes towards blink. Neighbourhoods Tom wouldn’t drive to record/write as a band, spent more time on Ava instead of blink, broke promises etc. Compared to now he seems fully committed and less egotistical about the whole thing. Obviously there could be things happening behind the scenes that prove otherwise but from what we’ve seen at face value it’s a far less cunty Tom.

TTS scam shit is still scummy but I haven’t seen him beg for donations lately either.

• Like 4

Oh guys… really? We’re being optimistic? 😂

This isn’t our first, second, or third rodeo. We know what they’re like.

If it turns out they’re still miles away I wouldn’t be remotely surprised.

I am excited and happy about blinks return but always set the bar low. Blink are masters at disappointment.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kay said:

I am excited and happy about blinks return but always set the bar low. Blink are masters at disappointment.

Yea we’ve been through this for twenty years over and over each time there’s something new in how they disappoint or are dysfunctional, but it is always there. I’m surprised by the level of optimism just because Tom seems interested. People are very revisionist history about how Tom was in 2009. He was super enthusiastic about blink, 2010 he was focused on ava, and then when he got back on to the neighborhoods tour you could tell he was waning. But that first reunion tour he was all over. I’m excited for the album and know it’s coming, I also know there’s eventual drama and oddities as well that will sour the experience somehow. Tom will be Tom and mark will be mark taking something too seriously that wasn’t that serious and Travis will still be a cringe lord. Death, taxes, and blink-182 letting you down.

On the topic of Tom too, I think we’ve always glossed over juggling AVA and blink during the first reunion and how he basically lost his band over blink. Released love and love part 2. Matt wachter  (who he still won’t admit quit the band after love 2 to this day) and atom willard quit very close together because they couldn’t make a living with the time tom had to spend on blink. Critter who also was as responsible as tom for the original AVA sound also died in jan 2012 right after love 2. I can see how the band falling apart would cause him to form a lot of resentment and disdain against blink subconsciously or consciously. Fortunately he reinvented the band but that was probably a rough time for him even if all that was self inflicted in his juggling act. 2009-2013 we’re definitely the busiest years of his career and then the guy burnt out so hard and quit music for like 7 years

• Like 2

Let's be real for a second.  Cynicism imo realism incoming. 

People don't change. 

They are who they are. 

Tom being nice and friendly is half part of the marketing ploy, half probably feels badly for Mark (he did do this same thing with Travis).

But they ultimately don't just change. 

He's still a borderline scammer. He still probably has funny wunnies about blink music and not being solo, and 'saving the band' isn't sustainable so I hope they wrote some good shit at least when that momentum was still there.

He'll still go back to his old ways at some point, as will Mark & Travis. Mark will still have his reservations. It will implode at some point, just a newer iteration. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Kay said:

Must be some good weather in Australia at the moment. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RELEASE SOMETHING said:

Let's be real for a second.  Cynicism imo realism incoming. 

People don't change. 

They are who they are. 

Tom being nice and friendly is half part of the marketing ploy, half probably feels badly for Mark (he did do this same thing with Travis).

But they ultimately don't just change. 

He's still a borderline scammer. He still probably has funny wunnies about blink music and not being solo, and 'saving the band' isn't sustainable so I hope they wrote some good shit at least when that momentum was still there.

He'll still go back to his old ways at some point, as will Mark & Travis. Mark will still have his reservations. It will implode at some point, just a newer iteration. 

Why is 2005+ Tom the point he will go back to though? If people don’t change then isn’t it fair enough to consider he’ll go back to his 1992-2001 Tom where blink was his life and main focus?

Seems funny to say people don’t change and then directly reference a point where a person did change completely to justify that opinion.

36 minutes ago, RELEASE SOMETHING said:

Must be some good weather in Australia at the moment. 

Nah. Autumn heatwave with high humidity. Hotter than summer. And then today torrential rain and thunderstorms. Shits fucked atm weather wise.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Coightstanza said:

Why is 2005+ Tom the point he will go back to though? If people don’t change then isn’t it fair enough to consider he’ll go back to his 1992-2001 Tom where blink was his life and main focus?

Seems funny to say people don’t change and then directly reference a point where a person did change completely to justify that opinion.

Nah. Autumn heatwave with high humidity. Hotter than summer. And then today torrential rain and thunderstorms. Shits fucked atm weather wise.

Coight I didn't know you were like this tbh.  It's all love here.  But this optimism is painful.  People don't change!!!

1992-2001 they were basically kids!

You can change for a minute, but the rubberband goes back at some point.  Blink is not all of a sudden going to be his life and passion again. That ship has sailed.

Can still get some good music. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RELEASE SOMETHING said:

Coight I didn't know you were like this tbh.  It's all love here.  But this optimism is painful.  People don't change!!!

1992-2001 they were basically kids!

You can change for a minute, but the rubberband goes back at some point.  Blink is not all of a sudden going to be his life and passion again. That ship has sailed.

Can still get some good music. 

So he can change and then change again but then change back but not back to where he was before the change because you said so? Nice.

im a blink bot. Always have been. Tom seems keen I’m horny for that.

• Like 1

No, I don't think you can change back to how you were when you were 17-26.  I think he can happy time reunion for a minute and that's it, or they can play a part for money longer but it's all passionless.  Yes, I believe Angels & airwaves and whatever the hell else he became is who he truly is after becoming a full fledged adult..  

1 minute ago, RELEASE SOMETHING said:

No, I don't think you can change back to how you were when you were 17-26.  I think he can happy time reunion for a minute and that's it, or they can play a part for money longer but it's all passionless.  Yes, I believe Angels & airwaves and whatever the hell else he became is who he truly is after becoming a full fledged adult.  Unless he's done with AvA now and that ship has sailed, he's still not all about blink all a sudden like it's 2001. It'd have to be a new iteration.  That's why Neighborhoods kind of works, it's neither here nor there but it's at least honest.

U Wot m8?

Although they're keeping kinda quiet regarding updates of the album, I still can't help but feel positive about the whole thing. It's completely different to Neighborhoods.

People forget how quiet they used to be. They didn't even post a simple photo on social media back then. Tom would make no mention of blink at all apart from maybe once. You'd get one or two screenshots of a Pro Tools/Logic session from Mark in the space of 2 years.

There were like 2 videos from Mark too. One of them was him laughing at his voice on that "stop living in a shadow of a helicopter" line and the other one was him just ringing out the bridge of Kaleidoscope.

I'm sure Tom posted a video of like 8 demos on his Modlife website which was mostly just AVA tracks, but there were 2 blink songs (one of which was Up All Night and a song which never got released). There was another track that never got released but it was hard to tell if it was AVA or blink. Oh and he also posted a video of him playing Wishing Well on acoustic too and even then no one knew if it was for blink or for AVA. Travis was the most silent out of them all.

Aside from these rare moments, it was just complete utter silence in 2 years. For this album, I've lost count on how many photos & videos I've seen of them in a recording studio but it feels like it's over 100 times. Hell, even during California & Nine blink was more quiet during the recording process.

They've been hyping this up as much as the smiley face album. Only difference is the smiley face album had those cheetah videos. Another difference is that unlike the smiley face album, they actually released a song during the recording process for this album.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elisa said:

So not going to SA was convenient after all since they're still recording/doing stuff in the studio?

I didn't make any mention of them not going to South America

I'm talking about their quietness on the recording process of the album

26 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I didn't make any mention of them not going to South America

I'm talking about their quietness on the recording process of the album

no, no, I was just thinking out loud, sorry if it sounded like I was referring to your comment haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RELEASE SOMETHING said:

No, I don't think you can change back to how you were when you were 17-26.  I think he can happy time reunion for a minute and that's it, or they can play a part for money longer but it's all passionless.  Yes, I believe Angels & airwaves and whatever the hell else he became is who he truly is after becoming a full fledged adult..  

I've always thought that the AVA's Tom was who he wanted to be but not what he really is. I say this because, despite having a serious approach to music, on tours and in many everyday situations he always appeared as the same immature guy he was before. I think he wanted in every way to see the quality of his music recognized regardless of the fact that blink were so attractive because they were fun and light-hearted, and taking a serious tone was the only way to achieve this goal.

I have the feeling that today he is in a position where he feels at peace with himself and has nothing to prove, so he re-embraced his origins. In this regard there is an Instagram post of his from 2021 in which he spoke of having been listening to punk music for some time and having closed a circle.

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

So not going to SA was convenient after all since they're still recording/doing stuff in the studio?

That's a good question. I seriously start thinking that they are working on additional songs. From the little information they gave us, the album seemed really close to completion, so it would be really bad that it was necessary to have to continue working on it. It would be a situation too similar to that of 2011, even if today the band has a totally different vibe. And then Mark was talking about "tracking" and not "recording", so as if they were still writing newer stuff.

• Like 4