One More Time… Pre-Release Discussion

Champ182

15 hours ago, boxelder said:

feel like at one point they were viewed in some big three with GD and blink.

I know this is just my experience but I never even knew anyone felt that way! Haha. Maybe I was just barelyyy too young or something... Smash was huge in what, 1995? I was a really little kid at that time, I knew "Come Out And Play" a little bit because my dad liked it, but when I actually became aware of them it was because of "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" and "Why Don't You Get A Job", so they kinda seemed more in the realm of Smash Mouth or something.

giphy.gif

(Again, not a diss of Offspring, like I said I bought a couple of their cds and liked them! They just didn't seem like a band with a lot of substance that made me want to keep going back over the years)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rickay he him said:

Depends if there’s any right wing conspiracy nuts keeping the place alive. 

Offspring don’t strike me as right wing - they kicked their last drummer out cause he didn’t wanna get the jab and I’m pretty sure Dexter goes on left wing biased rants sometimes - I don’t follow too much about OS anymore but I definitely remember they kicked their drummer out for not being down with the jab. That’s not very right wing of them 

30 minutes ago, Scotts Engineer said:

Smash Mouth 😄

This song aged like wine though, true late 90s/early 2000s master hit.  The whole vibe of this video is crazy.

Full disclosure, I actually liked Smash Mouth a lot more than the Offspring! hahah

God we need some actual Blink album news.

46 minutes ago, Knapppers said:

Didn't Smash sell like a shit ton of records back in the day? I'm pretty sure it was the highest selling independent record for a while. 

I think it still is.

43 minutes ago, Olivers Curtain said:

Lol some of you youngins just don’t understand how huge offspring were. They can still headline amphitheaters, I don’t know what you guys are trippin on. Maybe Tom’s balls in your mouth? 

Yeah the hate here is weird.

Americana was like the biggest album of the year where I grew up. I saw them headline two different stadium concerts where I live (Sum 41 opened for them on one).

Their new stuff isn’t great but that’s kind of to be expected with these types of bands, Green Day are the same. I will say that until Edging, Offspring had better singles thank Blink post-2004 (You’re Gonna Go Far Kid trumps any Blink single until Edging, even that is debatable). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thongrider said:

The Offspring were a lot bigger than both blink and GD here.

Yeah, hype around blink lasted less than a year here, now you're lucky to stumble upon someone who's even heard of the band.

Everyone knows The Offspring and they've played multiple shows here. In fact, I believe they're gonna be here again this summer.

• Like 1

Back to blink, it has to be a surprise album release at this point, which is something I would have never expected from them because they're not Drake or Taylor Swift. Now it's April and their silence really makes no sense.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

Back to blink, it has to be a surprise album release at this point, which is something I would have never expected from them because they're not Drake or Taylor Swift. Now it's April and their silence really makes no sense.

Yeah if they went the tradition route and released a couple of singles first then the album won't be coming out until probably June/July. This also wouldn't shock me lol. 

• Like 2